+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: "Performance Tunes" for Mustangs

"Performance Tunes" for Mustangs

Ok, I need some input on "tunes" for the newer Mustangs. I've gotten opinions for and against from different forums. I even mentioned it to a gentleman at the last NHMC cruise night I was at. My reason for a tune, I just want to remove the electronic limiter of 118 mph. No, I'm not planning on racing on the streets or attempting to exceed that on the streets. I just don't like the fact that the Mustang is limited. I know I need to upgrade to H or Z rated tires and look into "updates" to the driveshaft. What stops me is that I have only had the car for 4 months and do not want to void the warranty with a tune. I guess that is my answer, but would like some input from this forum.
    Thanks
    2012 Mustang Base V6 Coupe, 6 spd Automatic, 3.31 Rear Axle, Kona Blue

if your doing it with a hand help tuner you can always go back to factory at anytime, but I would def keep asking before you do anything

Talk to our beloved President he will guide you in the right direction

Call Pete Johnson at performance Dyno. Get accurate info from Him, he's the tuner that most of the nhmc uses!!! Pete can get you the sct tuner so you can reverse the whole thing back to stock

1994 GT Convertible
    1997 COBRA **SOLD**
    2003 GT Convertible
    2013 Mustang GT 5.0 **SOLD**
    2019 F150 Lariat Luxury

Yes, speak with Rick L. aka the "PREZ" and set up an appointment with Pete @ Performance Dyno : http://performance-dyno.com/
    Barry ~~AKA~~ B
    2001 Saleen S281 Convertible ~ True Blue Metallic # 614
    KB Supercharged ~385 rwhp / 394 rwtq @ 10psi
    1/4 Mile Time : 12.91 @107.67

What exactly are you trying to do by tuning the car? Are you looking for performance upgrades?

You have one of the best tuners in your back yard at performance dyno. If i was you I'd give Pete a call and he can walk you though the pro's and con's

Tuning your car is one sure way to void the warranty.....but as mentioned you can load the stock tune in at any time for the purposes of dealer work.
    -- Ian --
    2003 10th Aniv. Cobra Convertible Torch Red
    Born on 6/18/2003 / Build # 4357 / # 489 0f 10th Aniv
    1 of 369 Torch Red 10th Aniversary cars Built

I had Pete tune my car at "Dyon Day" this year and it made a huge difference.The car simply runs better overall. Well worth doing. Along with the tune I added a cold air intake. Ask Pete or Rick for suggestions on an intake. I went the Ford Racing route only to find out it was not the best option I could have chosen and if you are going to spend the money you want to make it count.

Quote Originally Posted by PonikNH View Post
    Ok, I need some input on "tunes" for the newer Mustangs. I've gotten opinions for and against from different forums. I even mentioned it to a gentleman at the last NHMC cruise night I was at. My reason for a tune, I just want to remove the electronic limiter of 118 mph. No, I'm not planning on racing on the streets or attempting to exceed that on the streets. I just don't like the fact that the Mustang is limited. I know I need to upgrade to H or Z rated tires and look into "updates" to the driveshaft. What stops me is that I have only had the car for 4 months and do not want to void the warranty with a tune. I guess that is my answer, but would like some input from this forum.
    Thanks

Sorry I type like crap. I meant to say "Dyno Day" not Dyon.....

Quote Originally Posted by Pete C View Post
    I had Pete tune my car at "Dyon Day" this year and it made a huge difference.The car simply runs better overall. Well worth doing. Along with the tune I added a cold air intake. Ask Pete or Rick for suggestions on an intake. I went the Ford Racing route only to find out it was not the best option I could have chosen and if you are going to spend the money you want to make it count.

You might want to do some reading. The new PCMs in these cars are able to detect when tunes have been flashed in and out. Ford is getting smart and can tell if you changed the tune, if you have a major issue this is one of the 1st things Ford will check to void your power train warranty.
    Last edited by TTA89; 06-07-2012 at 10:17 PM.
    -Mike

1967 Mustang GTA 390
    1990 Mustang LX 5.0 Vert
    2012 Mustang GT/CS 5.0

Quote Originally Posted by TTA89 View Post
    You might want to do some reading. The new PCMs in these cars are able to detect when tunes have been flashed in and out. Ford is getting smart and can tell if you changed the tune, if you have a major issue this is one of the 1st things Ford will check to void you're power train warranty.
    There's a actually some consumer protection involved in this type owner modification, I believe. I don't remember the name of the "act" or law, but my understanding of it is that owner modifications cannot completely "void" a car's warranty. The manufacturer can refuse to honor a warranty repair if the modification can be shown to have caused the damage that necessitated the repair. So for instance if you swap in an aftermarket cold air intake, and your exhaust system falls off, it would be difficult for the manufacturer to assign blame to that modification.
    If however, you change the tune and then blow the head gasket they would be within their right to refuse the warrantee.

It would also be worthwhile to investigate dealers in the area -- some are known to be more "modification friendly" than others.
    ---
    Jim

2010 Mercedes E550
    2000 Mazda Miata Special Edition

Sold: 2001 10th Anniversary Cobra #353
    1990 Mustang GT Convertible
    2002 Mustang GT

+ Reply to Thread