+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Thread: Tough times on the forum

I also think it boils down the fact that we all are friends here on the forum and have known each other for a good number of years. I have a comfort level with all you guys.

Facebook is a different story, there are people posting on the NHMC facebook page that I have never met before.......therefore I am not as friendly, outgoing and "ball busting" because I don't want to offend anyone.

On here, the forum, well all bets are off with you bastids.
    -- Ian --
    2003 10th Aniv. Cobra Convertible Torch Red
    Born on 6/18/2003 / Build # 4357 / # 489 0f 10th Aniv
    1 of 369 Torch Red 10th Aniversary cars Built

I'm not Anti-Facebook -- I have an account and check it occasionally -- I just don't get enough value-added benefit from it to pay it any serious attention or time investment. I prefer the "community" of a forum to the anonymity of FB.

There was a discussion about Facebook on another, non car related forum where I spend a lot of time. These guys are all pretty thoughtful (not like you dumb asses ) and make some interesting points.

some of their observations:
    Facebook casts a very wide net - your neighbor, your co-workers, that girl you dated for two months in 11th grade, etc. are all on Facebook sharing the minutiae of their lives. That's its strength, and its weakness. It can be very valuable for allowing far-flung families to stay in touch and see pictures of children and grandchildren. You can reconnect with distant relatives or old friends. Of course, that's also the downside. People change and you end up seeing strange posts about conspiracy theories and gluten-free diets. There are filters but most people don't bother with them.
    ---
    I watched a friend "do" her Facebook the other day: it was an endless stream of notes, comments, jottings, pictures, opinions, rants, pleas. Nothing bad, really, just so much of it, all of it seemingly too trivial to think about. But it churned on endlessly.
    I also think it's no good that Facebook exists to sell to advertisers all the personal information you gave them in return for free kitten pictures.
    ---
    The new terms of service allow Facebook to use your phones microphone to listen to your surroundings anytime you post a status update. They use the background noise to better understand your habits to send ads to you.
    So they say.
    If that's not reason enough to delete it then I don't know is.

(note: yes, that last one is true -- although you have to "opt in" for them to do so. Read here: http://www.forbes.com/sites/kashmirh...t-youre-doing/ )
    ---
    Jim

2010 Mercedes E550
    2000 Mazda Miata Special Edition

Sold: 2001 10th Anniversary Cobra #353
    1990 Mustang GT Convertible
    2002 Mustang GT

Quote Originally Posted by SVT10th View Post
    The new terms of service allow Facebook to use your phones microphone to listen to your surroundings anytime you post a status update. They use the background noise to better understand your habits to send ads to you.
    So they say.
    If that's not reason enough to delete it then I don't know is.[/I]

(note: yes, that last one is true -- although you have to "opt in" for them to do so. Read here: http://www.forbes.com/sites/kashmirh...t-youre-doing/ )
    Some of my most finest FB'ing happens when I am on the can......I'd love to see what kind recommendations they make off that!!
    -- Ian --
    2003 10th Aniv. Cobra Convertible Torch Red
    Born on 6/18/2003 / Build # 4357 / # 489 0f 10th Aniv
    1 of 369 Torch Red 10th Aniversary cars Built

Quote Originally Posted by TorchredSVT View Post
    Some of my most finest FB'ing happens when I am on the can......I'd love to see what kind recommendations they make off that!!
    Ian, I was going to make a comment about joining FB and farting for them, but you beat me too it! I'd probably get ads for Gas-X!
    Bruce
    TFS TW heads, rockers, 75mm intake, cam, 75mm TB, CAI, MAF, DeatschWerks 35# injectors, Aeromotive rails/regulator, 255 pump, BeCool rad, alum water pump, MSD 6A/coil, alum flywheel, PP, driveshaft, McLeod clutch, Torsen T2R, 3.73, 31spline axles, 17" 95 Cobra R, NT-05 255/275, MM CC plates, coil-over (Bilstein), rlca, K-brace, A-arms, SF conns, Cobra brakes, =len shorties, 2.5" SS Hpipe, Borla CB...

+ Reply to Thread