+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 5 1 2 3 ... LastLast

Thread: lawnmower engine help?

lawnmower engine help?

So a year or two ago I bought a new Craftsman lawnmower. When I first got it I had trouble with it starting up. Brought it right back and the tech told me I can't tip the lawnmower over, which I had never done!
    Last year at the end of the year I noticed that it started hard after I had been running it for a while. Today I mowed the lawn for the first time of the season. Put gas in it, started up on the second pull. Mowed my front lawn. Stopped for a minute to do the back and when I went to start it again. It wouldn't start. It almost sounds like it's just not getting a spark, it's a fairly new plug and I cleaned it before I started it up. I waiting about 5 minutes and it started up.
    You think that somehow it's flooding? or maybe just over heating (but then wouldn't it die before I turned it off?)
    Any suggestions?
    Growing older but not UP

My car now has a heater, and now has HEAT!!

Assuming you have new gas, I would check the air filter.

Yup, Gas was bought last weekend to run the pressure washer.
    i'll take a look at the air filter, but it should be good, it's only been run for one full season.
    Growing older but not UP

Quote Originally Posted by chachee52 View Post
    So a year or two ago I bought a new Craftsman lawnmower.
    Thats your first problem.

Related to the issue at hand:
    Turn throttle/choke to off, or minimum, and pull start cord 15-or 20 times to clear in case it's just flooded. try starting.
    Take the air filter out. Try starting. If it starts, your filter is clogged, buy a new one.
    Gas -- Drain all gas and put in new. (unless that's what's in there)
    Gas -- check fuel filter (assuming it has one) see if if gas come out of the fuel line when you pull starter.
    Spark -- verify that have spark when you pull starter.
    If none of those work:
    Kick it -- really hard.
    Talk to it -- explain to it it, that it's ancestry is in somewhat of disrepute, and perhaps it should act nicer before you send to meet those actual ancestors.

If it still doesn't work, invoke warranty, if its still covered.
    ---
    Jim

2010 Mercedes E550
    2000 Mazda Miata Special Edition

Sold: 2001 10th Anniversary Cobra #353
    1990 Mustang GT Convertible
    2002 Mustang GT

I'd go buy another spark plug. They go bad. Can check easy, pull to start several times, then remove spark plug, if wet, plug not firing. If not wet, Spray starting fluid into plug hole and put plug back in and try to start. Should for a few seconds. Then you know carb issue , like maybe you left odd gas in it.

You have fresh gas in it and ran it for at least a few minutes so new gas run thru carb.

Jim, Craftsman brand or any other brand for that matter, most all are using a Briggs engine or a Tecumseh engie think own by them. All the same when comes to just the engine.
    Last edited by 390gtconv; 05-12-2014 at 06:30 AM.

I always at the end of the year put stabilizer in the engine and then run it dry. So the gas is now new and ran for about 15-20 min no issues.
    The new mowers have no throttle or choke so I can't test that.
    I'll get a new plug again. they replaced it the first time I had this issue and they told me not to tip the mower over (again, which has NEVER been done).
    I guess at this time the plug and filter are the easiest to test.
    Growing older but not UP

Todd, my Toro (which I am replacing tomorrow for other reasons) has behaved this way for years. After running for a while, won't restart. It's a Tecumseh engine with the little priming bulb on the side (when cold push the bulb three times then try to start.) The solution I arrived at is to give the bulb ONE push before trying to restart. Works most of the time on the first pull, sometimes on second or third. If it just pops and doesn't start, give the bulb ONE more push and try again. This works 99% of the time for me. I think the carb just gets a bit hot after it has run a while and if you shut it down for a minute or two the gas evaporates quickly from the carb so there's nothing there to restart, but it doesn't need a full prime. Give it a try - it may work for you too.
    Bruce
    TFS TW heads, rockers, 75mm intake, cam, 75mm TB, CAI, MAF, DeatschWerks 35# injectors, Aeromotive rails/regulator, 255 pump, BeCool rad, alum water pump, MSD 6A/coil, alum flywheel, PP, driveshaft, McLeod clutch, Torsen T2R, 3.73, 31spline axles, 17" 95 Cobra R, NT-05 255/275, MM CC plates, coil-over (Bilstein), rlca, K-brace, A-arms, SF conns, Cobra brakes, =len shorties, 2.5" SS Hpipe, Borla CB...

Quote Originally Posted by chachee52 View Post
    I always at the end of the year put stabilizer in the engine and then run it dry. So the gas is now new and ran for about 15-20 min no issues.
    The new mowers have no throttle or choke so I can't test that.
    I'll get a new plug again. they replaced it the first time I had this issue and they told me not to tip the mower over (again, which has NEVER been done).
    I guess at this time the plug and filter are the easiest to test.
    Todd do starting test I mentioned above 1st, try to start then pull & inspect plug. Also can spray starting fluid right into cylinder, put plug back in and try. This will help decide if a fuel delivery issue or bad plug issue.

Todd these are all good idea's and they may help I have a Honda that is in its 22nd season.Have never had a problem Change the oil every year and the plug and wash the air filter. I too do the stable thing but I never heard of running it dry. After listening to all the suggestions I have the one fool proof method Ditch the Craftsman and by a Push Mower.

Bruce, I have no primer bulb on it. I love technology!!!!! (sarcastic)
    Dennis, it is a push mower.
    George, i'll give it a try.
    Growing older but not UP

+ Reply to Thread