+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread: 50th Birthday ice cream celebration - - THURSDAY 4/17

Quote Originally Posted by 07 stang gt View Post
    Sounds good to me. Is anyone meeting up anywhere to head over there ???
    I'm heading straight from work in Pelham
    Growing older but not UP

My car now has a heater, and now has HEAT!!

You can let me detail it for you, and put down the California Duster, IT SCRATCHES PAINT !!!!
    Let's talk about that at ED Day, Jimmy! Or at Hayward's.
    Bruce
    TFS TW heads, rockers, 75mm intake, cam, 75mm TB, CAI, MAF, DeatschWerks 35# injectors, Aeromotive rails/regulator, 255 pump, BeCool rad, alum water pump, MSD 6A/coil, alum flywheel, PP, driveshaft, McLeod clutch, Torsen T2R, 3.73, 31spline axles, 17" 95 Cobra R, NT-05 255/275, MM CC plates, coil-over (Bilstein), rlca, K-brace, A-arms, SF conns, Cobra brakes, =len shorties, 2.5" SS Hpipe, Borla CB...

You can let me detail it for you, and put down the California Duster, IT SCRATCHES PAINT !!!!
    Please provide some quantitative data around this

I happen to believe it's one of the only things that doesn't cause swirls and scratches.

I normally am a FIRM believer in dragging ANYTHING across the paint is bad, but I have always seem to have good results with the california duster. I am curious to hear your opinion and procedure for dusting off a car.
    -- Ian --
    2003 10th Aniv. Cobra Convertible Torch Red
    Born on 6/18/2003 / Build # 4357 / # 489 0f 10th Aniv
    1 of 369 Torch Red 10th Aniversary cars Built

I have to agree with Jimmy on that A spray detailer and a good microfiber towel is a hundred times better.With the duster there no lubrication and all your doing is dragging the particles along the paint The detailer gives that little cushion on the paint Saw a great video on you tube about this and it made sense
    Quote Originally Posted by TorchredSVT View Post
    Please provide some quantitative data around this

I happen to believe it's one of the only things that doesn't cause swirls and scratches.

I normally am a FIRM believer in dragging ANYTHING across the paint is bad, but I have always seem to have good results with the california duster. I am curious to hear your opinion and procedure for dusting off a car.

Here's one more thing that might change your mind When you watch the Auction's they are always spraying and wiping down the cars before they reach the selling block.I have never seen a California Duster any where in that venue Not that I am an expert I will be interested to hear what Jimmy has to say also about this

That is exactly right Dennis. If you look at what dust is under a micoscope, there are all sorts of spikes and sharp points that make up dust and dragging them across your paint is not good at all for the paint/clearcoat. It puts microscatches into the paint and over time, or sometimes right away, they come through as deeper scratches. Here is a good example. When your car is nice and clean at your house and you drive it to a car show or wherever, there is always dust and dirt that accumulate on the paint, especially at the rear of the car, bumpers, lower panels etc.If you are wiping your car down with a Cal. D or just detail spray on those areas that are really dirty,there is not enough lubrication (actually none) between the duster and your paint, to eliminate most tiny scratches. If you wipe your car down with a waterless wash or a rinseless wash lubricant first, the dust is actually lifted off the surface of the paint, thus putting lubrication between the towel and the paint, eliminating most scratches.Then you go over it with detail spray to give it some shine. Detail spray is a shine enhancer, not a cleaner or lubricant. The Cal D. picks up dust, while at the same time pulls the dust into its fibers, thats why it does not leave a line of dust on your paint, BUT the dust does not leave those fibers, it hides them, and as you drag it over your paint, the tiny dust particles are scratching your paint.If you BARLEY drag the Cal D on your paint,they say its better than "swipping or brushing it" on your paint but that defeats the purpose beacuse you cant take all the dust off. A little dust on your car,spray on a good quality detail spray,use a good quality "waffle style" microfiber towel to soak up the majority of the detail spray, followed up by a SOFT (half to one inch thick) micofiber towel to buff the area, is the proper way.If it is slightly dirty from road dust, a good lubricant (not detail spray) sprayed on before you touch the paint,a waffle style microfiber towel to lift off the dirt, a shot of detail spray followed with another clean waffle towel and a good microfiber towel to buff it, will eliminate a lot of scratches!! You will never see anyone at Barret J. etc using any Cal D., chamois, Absorber, to wipe down those cars !! Believe me, I used to use all those things, and still have them if someone wants them, but if you are looking for a swirl free finish, do not use any of those products. No sales pitch to anyone out there, but I have and sell all those things that eliminate those scratches before and after you clean your car and would be glad to show anyone what and how I use them.Even after I am done washing my car, I use a portable car dryer (called a Master Blaster) to get all the water off my car, trying to eliminate touching the paint as much as possible.KEEP YOUR HANDS OFF YOUR CAR, and when you do touch it, use only TOP QUALITY products.Actually, keep using that crappy stuff, it keeps me real busy !!!

Thanks Jimmy for the Info

Your welcome, there will be a quiz so take notes !! So, what time is everyone planning on meeting up at Haywards ???

So back on topic:
    I got my car at work and if everything goes smoothly (usually doesn't especially this week) I will be out by 7:20 MAX. So I should be at Haywards by 7:45 if not earlier.
    Can't wait to get ICECREAM!!!!
    Growing older but not UP

My car now has a heater, and now has HEAT!!

Quote Originally Posted by ToplessPony94 View Post
    I hope to make it by about 7:45.

My car will NOT be detailed at all as I won't get it back from GSDT until late Wednesday and all it's gotten so far this year is a few wipes with the California Duster. Probably will still have a few metal drill shavings on the floor mats...

Thanks for setting this up, Bob!
    Still expecting to arrive about 7:45. I was out in the garage turning wrenches until 11PM last night, but everything is back together! FINALLY!
    Bruce
    TFS TW heads, rockers, 75mm intake, cam, 75mm TB, CAI, MAF, DeatschWerks 35# injectors, Aeromotive rails/regulator, 255 pump, BeCool rad, alum water pump, MSD 6A/coil, alum flywheel, PP, driveshaft, McLeod clutch, Torsen T2R, 3.73, 31spline axles, 17" 95 Cobra R, NT-05 255/275, MM CC plates, coil-over (Bilstein), rlca, K-brace, A-arms, SF conns, Cobra brakes, =len shorties, 2.5" SS Hpipe, Borla CB...

+ Reply to Thread