+ Reply to Thread

Thread: 94 GT Conversion to LED bulbs

94 GT Conversion to LED bulbs

I recently did a complete replacement of all exterior bulbs with LEDs on my 94 GT vert. I'm very, very pleased with the results. I'll detail the information below on sources and part numbers.

First, I chose to replace the flasher with one that doesn't depend on bulb load to flash correctly. This eliminated the need to add load resistors to everything that flashes to eliminate "hyperflashing" like you get when one bulb dies. The load resistors are big, they get very hot and they must be mounted to metal and away from anything that doesn't like getting hot. They are a pain, and adding up the ones needed, they cost more than replacing the flasher, too. Also, without the load resistors the LED bulbs will draw much less power than the incandescent bulbs, leaving a bit more juice for everything else.

I did also replace the map light bulbs in the mirror. Those of you with hardtops will have a dome light, which takes the same bulbs. I did not replace the third brake light bulbs because I had already replaced that with an LED based unit years ago. I don't use my fog lights with the HID conversion I have, so I don't even run bulbs in those, just a blackout cover. I also did not replace any dash bulbs, mostly because I had installed Indiglo dash and climate panels years ago. Though it's probably time after 19 years to replace those warning bulbs... something for me to think about.

One important note here: If you are putting an LED bulb behind a colored lens you MUST use an LED bulb of the same color as the lens: Red behind a red lens, amber behind an amber lens. There reason for this: The colored lens will absorb most of the light from the bulb that is not the color of the lens, so it's much more useful to get a bulb that produces most of its light in the part of the spectrum that will actually get through the lens (duh!). The appearance will be dim and washed out if you don't follow this advice.

Since I run a clear lens on my front turn signal area, I chose the Raxiom SwitchBack bulbs for that location. This is VERY cool! When the parking lights are on this bulb shows white. When just the turn signal or flasher is on this bulb flashes amber. When the parking lights and turn signal or flasher is on, this bulb switches colors (white - amber - white - amber). You have to see it to appreciate how cool this is, and it's BRIGHT!

Here are the products I used:

# I didn't try this because it isn't a sealed bulb and I was nervous about putting it out at the plate
    & DO NOT use this bulb - not very bright - use the SuperBrightLEDs 3156-CW3W-G bulb instead

(Thanks to Jay (Xerxeese) and Bob Comire for their able assistance and encouragement during the project.)
    Last edited by ToplessPony94; 01-17-2014 at 04:48 PM. Reason: Add underhood/truck bulbs
    Bruce
    TFS TW heads, rockers, 75mm intake, cam, 75mm TB, CAI, MAF, DeatschWerks 35# injectors, Aeromotive rails/regulator, 255 pump, BeCool rad, alum water pump, MSD 6A/coil, alum flywheel, PP, driveshaft, McLeod clutch, Torsen T2R, 3.73, 31spline axles, 17" 95 Cobra R, NT-05 255/275, MM CC plates, coil-over (Bilstein), rlca, K-brace, A-arms, SF conns, Cobra brakes, =len shorties, 2.5" SS Hpipe, Borla CB...

Very nice writeup Bruce.

2008 mustang gt kenne bell blown 610 rwp 540rwt

nice work bruce...i have changed over a few bulbs in my car as well to LED and love it.

Good advice on the bulb color / lens color, it did make a big difference.
    -- Ian --
    2003 10th Aniv. Cobra Convertible Torch Red
    Born on 6/18/2003 / Build # 4357 / # 489 0f 10th Aniv
    1 of 369 Torch Red 10th Aniversary cars Built

Thanks guys, it was fun. FWIW, I think that flasher should work on 99-04 cars, too, but probably not with sequential tails. I don't know about newer years.
    Bruce
    TFS TW heads, rockers, 75mm intake, cam, 75mm TB, CAI, MAF, DeatschWerks 35# injectors, Aeromotive rails/regulator, 255 pump, BeCool rad, alum water pump, MSD 6A/coil, alum flywheel, PP, driveshaft, McLeod clutch, Torsen T2R, 3.73, 31spline axles, 17" 95 Cobra R, NT-05 255/275, MM CC plates, coil-over (Bilstein), rlca, K-brace, A-arms, SF conns, Cobra brakes, =len shorties, 2.5" SS Hpipe, Borla CB...

how much did it cost to to do all the bulbs?
    ---
    Jim

2010 Mercedes E550
    2000 Mazda Miata Special Edition

Sold: 2001 10th Anniversary Cobra #353
    1990 Mustang GT Convertible
    2002 Mustang GT

Quote Originally Posted by SVT10th View Post
    how much did it cost to to do all the bulbs?
    I never added it up, but I'd say under $200. The big ticket item was the Raxiom SwitchBack bulbs, which are $60+ for the pair. From AM they come with load resistors that I ended up not using. If anyone wants to go the load resistor route, I have 4 that I won't be using. The nice surprise was the flasher - only $13 - less than half the price of a replacement for the OEM type.
    Bruce

Sorry, I realized I forgot to indicate the underhood and trunk light bulbs. Corrected in original post.
    Bruce

These bulbs are really bright. I got a chance to see them installed. Look great!
    SVT COBRA

+ Reply to Thread