+ Reply to Thread

Thread: '67 wrecked after restore

'67 wrecked after restore

I know it's not one of the best shows out there, but did anyone see the latest Gas Monkey episode on Discovery? They restored a '67 convertable with a 289 to one of the best restorations I've seen them do. Triple black all new everything. On one of the last test drives to tune the engine, a truck ran a red light and smashed into the passenger's front. The hit was so hard it bent the rear driver's quater panel. The sucky part is that the guy that hit the car had NO insurance!!! The owner for Gas Monkey was saying that if he put in a $35K claim that they insurance would drop him because of his small business situation.
    The guy that hit him walked away with a ticket for no insurance, and the Mustang was a wreck. I cried the last couple times I saw it!!!
    Growing older but not UP

My car now has a heater, and now has HEAT!!

Yea I saw last week. That car is NOT totaled. It's fixable. I noticed it had the wrong year steering wheel and horn button. Also the style steel wheels had red center caps, shoulda been blue for a '67. Otherwise not bad. If they want to give me that totaled car I'd take it.

You know, I've been in the insurance business for a lot of years. It sounds to me like the owner of the Mustang needs a new insurance agent. Obviously, the car was not insured properly. And most people have Uninsured Motorists Coverage for these type of situations. And I don't know of any company that would drop an Insured for a not-at-fault accident. In most states, insurance companies can't do that. I think there is something missing in this picture...

2003 Cobra "Terminator" Convertible
    Last Dyno Run = 496 rear wheel hp, 490 foot pound of torque

Quote Originally Posted by rhoidahl View Post
    I think there is something missing in this picture...
    It was Texas!! To me, that says a lot.
    Growing older but not UP

Banned
    Totaled, no way. We've all seen worse brought back. That car is fixed for a few grand and nobody the wiser.

All made for TV. Boo hoo...

I think that restorations wise it would be hard to make back any money that he might have put in. If it were one of our cars, I agree, we would fix it.
    Either way, it was still sad to see that happen to that car.
    It's kind of the same thing that happened to Jay's Mustang. Got rear ended in MA by a guy from NH that had no insurance. The Police never sited the guy for not having incurance either.
    Growing older but not UP

I saw the episode and immediately questions were raised on my end

the reality is ( no pun intended ) with these car reality tv shows we as viewers see very little of what actually goes on. Who knows how much $$ is really tied up in the car and who really knows if that guy truly did have no insurance. As mentioned, any properly insured shop would definitely have that type of coverage AND they would be able to properly repair that car. It just doesn't add up.

My opinion is that whole thing was made for TV. I am not saying the accident was planned, but I think the whole no insurance thing was an easy way to end that episode in a manner that keeps people tuned in. Otherwise, they could have edited the whole thing out and just shown the car once it was fixed

I definitly cringed when I saw that and the reaction it got on Facebook was crazy. I honestly like the show and like the shop, its one of my favorite on TV.....but i take everything I see with a grain of salt.
    -- Ian --
    2003 10th Aniv. Cobra Convertible Torch Red
    Born on 6/18/2003 / Build # 4357 / # 489 0f 10th Aniv
    1 of 369 Torch Red 10th Aniversary cars Built

Quote Originally Posted by chachee52 View Post
    Got rear ended in MA by a guy from NH that had no insurance. The Police never sited the guy for not having incurance either.
    If police filed reports correctly, NH DVM gets notified and that person w/o insurance gets license suspended. It's then treated as a DUI type issue. Meaning that in order to get license back they now must have insurance. It's no longer an option.
    Ask how I know. Two weeks after buying my F150 a women pulled out of a parking lot in NH right in my path. She had NO insurance.

Quote Originally Posted by 390gtconv View Post
    If police filed reports correctly, NH DVM gets notified and that person w/o insurance gets license suspended. It's then treated as a DUI type issue. Meaning that in order to get license back they now must have insurance. It's no longer an option.
    Ask how I know. Two weeks after buying my F150 a women pulled out of a parking lot in NH right in my path. She had NO insurance.
    The guy who hit Jay moved shortly thereafter. Probably not even in NH any more. He was a scum bag well known to the cops and obviously knows the ropes.
    Bruce
    TFS TW heads, rockers, 75mm intake, cam, 75mm TB, CAI, MAF, DeatschWerks 35# injectors, Aeromotive rails/regulator, 255 pump, BeCool rad, alum water pump, MSD 6A/coil, alum flywheel, PP, driveshaft, McLeod clutch, Torsen T2R, 3.73, 31spline axles, 17" 95 Cobra R, NT-05 255/275, MM CC plates, coil-over (Bilstein), rlca, K-brace, A-arms, SF conns, Cobra brakes, =len shorties, 2.5" SS Hpipe, Borla CB...

+ Reply to Thread