+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Ford Patents Manual Transmission That Doesn’t Need a Clutch Pedal

Ford Patents Manual Transmission That Doesn’t Need a Clutch Pedal

https://www.msn.com/en-us/autos/enth...edgdhp&pc=U531

At least for classic stangs, if you're using a manual trans, always want the clutch.
    As Jay Leno once said, "it's NOT a true muscle car if its not a manual shift car". Something like that.
    Agreed...

Ha Ha! Way back in the 70s when I was fresh out of college and not so well off financially I acquired a used VW beetle that had a stick shift but didn't have a clutch. When you pressed that stick down a little there was an electrical contact with a carbon brush that made contact and the vacuum operated clutch disengaged. You selected the gear desired then let go of the stick and it automatically raised and centered itself and the electrical contact was broken causing the clutch to engage.

It was actually kind of interesting but I would have preferred a real clutch. I always thought that it was appropriate that this model of the beetle was officially known as the Volkswagen A.S.S. For Automatic Stick Shift!

Nothing really new under the sun I guess. Thanks for posting (and for the memories).

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Autostick
    Last edited by ToplessPony94; 02-09-2022 at 10:15 AM. Reason: minor edits
    Bruce
    TFS TW heads, rockers, 75mm intake, cam, 75mm TB, CAI, MAF, DeatschWerks 35# injectors, Aeromotive rails/regulator, 255 pump, BeCool rad, alum water pump, MSD 6A/coil, alum flywheel, PP, driveshaft, McLeod clutch, Torsen T2R, 3.73, 31spline axles, 17" 95 Cobra R, NT-05 255/275, MM CC plates, coil-over (Bilstein), rlca, K-brace, A-arms, SF conns, Cobra brakes, =len shorties, 2.5" SS Hpipe, Borla CB...

Yup, my dad had a few bugs, one was a "73, called "semi automatic ". As you said shift but no clutch

+ Reply to Thread