+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Exhaust advice

Exhaust advice

So, the GT has aftermarket headers (not sure what kind), a MAC ( I think) H-pipe with hollowed cats (no idea how that happened ) and Flowmaster mufflers.
    I'm not happy with the exhaust sound. At idle it sounds nice -- wub, wub, wub, wub.
    But at any more than low throttle it just turns into kind of a loud low-pitched moan, more like a typical 70s-80s V8 luxury car. It doesn't have that distinctive 5.0 aggressive exhaust note. It's reasonably loud because of the hollowed cats, but not "nice".
    I think just replacing the Flowmasters with a different model will improve the sound, but I'm not sure. I don't know what model it has, though and don't want to buy the same ones.

This is a pic of the type of Flowmaster that's on it. Any one able to identify the model? Or have advice for better exhaust note?
    I don't want to do a whole new exhaust, or even just a cat back. Would rather just get the appropriate mufflers...

flowmaster.jpg
    ---
    Jim

2010 Mercedes E550
    2000 Mazda Miata Special Edition

Sold: 2001 10th Anniversary Cobra #353
    1990 Mustang GT Convertible
    2002 Mustang GT

Its not the flow masters its the hollowed out cats that sound crappy. you need just an h-pipe or put the h-pipe with the 4 cats back on. I still have my old 4 catted h-pipe

Jim, you might want to try replacing the cats with Catco free flow cats. I have those on my car as part of a full Catco H-pipe, but you can buy just the cats. Most cars I know that use their cats sound pretty nice!

http://www.catcoglobal.com/

http://www.summitracing.com/search/b...oview=SKU&ar=1
    Bruce
    TFS TW heads, rockers, 75mm intake, cam, 75mm TB, CAI, MAF, DeatschWerks 35# injectors, Aeromotive rails/regulator, 255 pump, BeCool rad, alum water pump, MSD 6A/coil, alum flywheel, PP, driveshaft, McLeod clutch, Torsen T2R, 3.73, 31spline axles, 17" 95 Cobra R, NT-05 255/275, MM CC plates, coil-over (Bilstein), rlca, K-brace, A-arms, SF conns, Cobra brakes, =len shorties, 2.5" SS Hpipe, Borla CB...

Holy revived old thread, Batman.

Car actually sounds better with the hollowed cats than it did with intact ones.

But my car is currently undergoing some fairly significant mods that will likely change the exhaust tone. So we'll see.
    With luck, it might even make an appearance at Dyno Day.
    ---
    Jim

2010 Mercedes E550

2002 Mustang GT

who puts cat's on a car that's emissions exempt?
    -- Ian --
    2003 10th Aniv. Cobra Convertible Torch Red
    Born on 6/18/2003 / Build # 4357 / # 489 0f 10th Aniv
    1 of 369 Torch Red 10th Aniversary cars Built

Quote Originally Posted by TorchredSVT View Post
    who puts cat's on a car that's emissions exempt?
    I do. Still had the EGR until a few months ago. (Can't get parts that actually work any more.) My car is also still way emissions cleaner than when it rolled off the line. Some of us just like being on the green side of the street!
    Bruce
    TFS TW heads, rockers, 75mm intake, cam, 75mm TB, CAI, MAF, DeatschWerks 35# injectors, Aeromotive rails/regulator, 255 pump, BeCool rad, alum water pump, MSD 6A/coil, alum flywheel, PP, driveshaft, McLeod clutch, Torsen T2R, 3.73, 31spline axles, 17" 95 Cobra R, NT-05 255/275, MM CC plates, coil-over (Bilstein), rlca, K-brace, A-arms, SF conns, Cobra brakes, =len shorties, 2.5" SS Hpipe, Borla CB...

Plus although it doesn't get sniffed or electronically tested because it's pre-ODBII, inspectors are still SUPPOSED to make sure it has cats. So you still need catted pipes.

Of course I say that with the full intention of replacing my hollow cats with real ones. Of course. It would be socially irresponsible for me not to. I always obey the rules.
    ---
    Jim

2010 Mercedes E550

2002 Mustang GT

just some food for thought , BBK makes mufflers called "varitune" which allow you to adjust the tone. Similar to the old supertrap mufflers, but no need to add or remove discs. There are videos on youtube. I WILL be going with these on my car soon as
    finding the right tone on a V6 is damn near impossible LOL
    It's alive... it's ALIIIIVVVVEEEEEEE!!!!!!!

+ Reply to Thread