+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread: Where's the best place to sell a Vintage Mustang??

Where's the best place to sell a Vintage Mustang??

Hi,
    what's the best place (eBay, Mustang club of America, etc..) to sell a vintage mustang?

Respectfully
    Joe .

First do some research on its value as it is and be fair to yourself.
    I would start with Craig's list, listing it in all the New England states as well as any clubs in the area.

Then if you wanna try to squeeze every $$$, then list on Ebay. Thoughts are if you start price sorta high, the bidding won't get much momentum. If you start lower, often times bidder wars can start and $$$ come. But it would have to be a desirable car.

Any hints on what you have?

65 A-code fastback

Hi, I have a 65 A-code fastback born in San Jose... rock solid body (No rot). it's not restored; its got a 9in small bearing rear end. I have it listed on MCA, but, I think the price is too high.. I've sold some stuff on Ebay before but am a little nervous about selling something this big. (I'm also selling my house to add to my daily stress).

I don't mind paying a broker to sell it as long as the fees are reasonable..

I figured I would ask this forum before I get too far down the wrong path...

Joe.

Well, start by posting pics, some info & price here and maybe you get lucky.

A great place to sell is Carlisle Ford Nationals in PA coming up 1st weekend in June. I've gone 16 plus years with my '67. Great place to buy/sell.

Someone here may know of someone looking....

hI, don't have too many pictures...

I bought the car about 2.5 years ago and started working on the mechanical components brakes, control arms, clutch, etc... I I managed to score a 9in small bearing housing and axles, the car came with a 9in rear-end but it's measures 57 inches (too big for the car)

Here's the ad posted on MCA:

1965 A-Code Mustang for sale... i bought this car about 2 years ago and started to restore it... I've had a change in life and now I must part with this car...... The car sat in storage for 30 years and it has a extremely solid body.. here are the particulars.

Sorry about the Pictures. It's snowed and it's in a garage right now and can't get good picture...

Car/Drive train:

· 1965 mustang fastback
    · The VIN starts with 5R07A
    · A code (factory 4 speed and 4 barrel carb)
    · Manufactured in San Jose Calif.
    · I Have a NH title for the car
    · The engine installed in the car is from a 1968 ford (this engine fires up and will be running in the spring)
    · The 4 speed transmission is from a 1968 mustang (note: this came with the car, it was not a 66 transmission like we thought)

Body damage:

· 1 small rot hole (the size of a pencil on the driver’s quarter panel.
    · 1 dent the diameter of an orange on the transmission tunnel (near the transmission yoke)
    · 1 Dent approx. 1inx 10in on the rocker panel behind the passenger door
    · 1 Dent the size of coffee cup on the underside of the rear inside quarter panel (lower quarter will have to be replaced).
    · Fenders need to be replaced (too many dents)

Work completed:

· Replaced the brake Drums, Shoes, Wheel and Master cylinders (new springs and hardware)
    · Replaced all the brake line
    · Replaced the Fuel Line
    · Replaced Upper and lower control arms.
    · Replaced the Front springs
    · Replaced the Front shocks.
    · Replace the front strut bushings
    · Upgrade to a 1inch sway bar
    · New wheel bearing
    · New Clutch/pressure plate (Resurfaced Flywheel)
    · New Universal joints on the Drive shaft
    · Replaced the transmission seals
    · New Starter
    · New battery
    · Installed a Holley 4 barrel carb
    · Installed hooker headers
    · Will be buying the rest of the exhaust in the spring
    · Will complete the engine compartment wiring by this spring

Unique features:

1. Along with the car being manufactured in California It’s got a rock solid body which is a great start for someone who wants solid restoration project
    2. It sat in a garage in Vermont since 1979.
    3. The Original 289 engine/block comes with it but it’s dismantled. The casting number year is correct for a 1965
    4. I also have a 52in wide 9 inch small bearing (aka Tapered) Read end. ( These only came in GTs and Shelbys.) I have the Case and the axles; the 9 inch differential/third member is currently installed in the car in the 57in Large bearing rear end..

thanks for looking...
    Attached Images

Nice car to be restored. Do love 65-66fb.
    What is orig exterior color, black? Interior, standard? color?

Pricing did you review Hagerty? As with many sites, a ball park number, but a start. Are you asking 9-11K? my guess w/o seeing and more research.
    https://www.hagerty.com/apps/valuati...tang?id=119534

Current & Historical Values

View current vehicle values and see how they’ve changed over time in 3-year, 5-year and to-date intervals. Compare these values to other vehicles and benchmark financial indices.

Current Values

#1 Concours

$50,900

#2 Excellent

$37,600

#3 Good

$28,900

#4 Fair

$15,000

thank, all this information is helping; thank you.

When I bought the car 2 just over two years ago it was appraised for $14K by Jerry Martel from Fitchburg Ma.; Hargerty has it pegged at $15K in 2016. The interesting part of this equation is the rear-end. it's a 9in rear with small bearings... Apparently these only came on the K code cars. EBay has just the housing (without the axles) starting at about $990;a complete rear-end (housing, axles and 3rd member) go for about $2K; however since I'm pretty sure that the 3rd member is vintage 1968 and not 65, then the whole setup is probably worth $1,500 (if it goes with the car; I may sell it separately). The work I've done over the last two years comes to about $1000 in parts..

The reason I'm getting rid of the car is because I'm moving to a smaller house and losing my garage space. In addition, last year I spend about 30 hours working on this car and about 250 hours working on my son's 1965 coupe; the time I've spent with my son is more precious.

Also, I know that not all restoration ventures result in a profit (there are plenty of articles in the web about people who spend 2-3times a cars worth on a resto). So the question comes down to: what's a reason price?

your thoughts are always welcome.

Joe.

I hear ya.
    Reason I put it as a #4 from Hagerty is their notes:
    #4 vehicles are daily drivers, with flaws visible to the naked eye. The chrome might have pitting or scratches, the windshield might be chipped. Paintwork is imperfect, and perhaps the body has a minor dent. Split seams or a cracked dash, where applicable, might be present. No major parts are missing, but the wheels could differ from the originals, or other non- stock additions might be present. A #4 vehicle can also be a deteriorated restoration. "Fair" is the one word that describes a #4 vehicle.
    Currently not driveable so I went less than the ~ $14k they say is a "driver". That said, it's only an average $$$ but location, time of year, current market etc. you adjust for.

Where are you located? I do have a friend that does collect more than sell ~ 20 plus stangs. And lives here in town.
    If you wanna send me private message, I can forward info to him.

Also some like the car with most of orig parts in place. Others wanna resto mod it.
    Have you considered listing it on Vintage forum? taking best offer.
    http://forums.vintage-mustang.com/

I'd love to own a 65-66 FB but I did a ground up on my '67 390 GT vert, have a '66 vert 289 car in process for my wife, she'd shoot me if I got another. Bad enough years ago restoring my 67 I bought and stripped out ~ 15 stangs.

Quote Originally Posted by 390gtconv View Post
    Bad enough years ago restoring my 67 I bought and stripped out ~ 15 stangs.
    wow really? I assume you mean you picked parts of 15 different cars
    -- Ian --
    2003 10th Aniv. Cobra Convertible Torch Red
    Born on 6/18/2003 / Build # 4357 / # 489 0f 10th Aniv
    1 of 369 Torch Red 10th Aniversary cars Built

390GT, thanks for taking the time to provide this information. You are getting me to focuse on the problem at hand. I sent you my contact information. I live in Hudson, NH.
    I'm not opposed to a little horse trading. My son's car is a 65, coupe with PS and AC.. I have spent my time and treasure working on his (I forgot how little money a 18yo kid has)... In any case. I may keep the rear-end Casing/axles and use it on his, and would consider either Cragar SS or Tourque Thrust rims (w/wo tire) or seats recovered as part of a deal. I'm pretty reasonable with things.. If I had a garage where I was going I would just probably keep it,,

respectfully
    Joe.

+ Reply to Thread