+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Pedal extenders or adjustable assembly

Hybrid View

Pedal extenders or adjustable assembly

My wife and I are second owners of a 2005 Mustang GT (S197) with five speed. She recently told me a thoughtful cop did a U-turn to stop and warn her about sitting too close to the steering wheel and airbag (that's her story and she's sticking to it).

She's 5' tall, compared to my 6'. We drive this car with similar frequency. I don't know whether the clutch pedal hardware is OEM but the pad matches; the clutch assembly is aftermarket and hydraulic.

I did an internet search and found a variety of pedal extenders, but none that can be "quickly / easily" changed to accommodate either driver.

For her safety, I have two questions:
    1. Please recommend a product or method for extending the pedals that can be quickly changed by either of us. (Other than wood & duct tape.)
    2. Does anyone know if there was a Adjustable Pedal Assembly (power? manual?) option for the 2005 Mustang GT, or a retrofit method?

2006 Vista Blue GT Deluxe,Dark Charcoal, Manual, 64W Chrome 18" Wheels,Spoiler Delete,IUP Satin, 14A,43A,17L
    Receipt Date- 01/25/06 Produced Date- 03/29/06 Arrival Date--- 04/11/06
    MODS: JLT CAI,SCT dyno tune by Pete, WebElectric sequential tail lights & pony corral, Pypes Violators, Front plate relocation,Hella 500 driving lights instead of fogs,GMS double strut brace & A-arm brace.
    2007 Alloy GT Premium Convertible,Charcoal w/Red Premium Trim Pkg.,Manual,64W wheels,3.55 gears,IUP charcoal.

Does you wife NEED to sit so close? I had a similar issue/discussion with my daughter. She's about 5'2". She got used to a driving position with her legs bent -- like sitting in a chair -- rather than having her legs out more straight. It wasn't an issue with being able to reach the pedals or the wheel, it was just that she got used to it. I made her sit back a few more clicks and told her to try driving that way for a while. After a few days she got used to the new driving position and now sits further back in both her car and in the Mustang.
    Sometimes it's just habit.

Of course if your wife's legs just won't reach the pedals, then you're back to the pedal extenders.....
    ---
    Jim

2010 Mercedes E550
    2000 Mazda Miata Special Edition

Sold: 2001 10th Anniversary Cobra #353
    1990 Mustang GT Convertible
    2002 Mustang GT

If I remember correctly, legally you don't need extenders unless your under 4'10". MY friend is 4'10" and 1/4 she says and wears heels every time she goes to get her renewal.
    But he is right about being too close to the airbag anyway. You should never be that close, its not safe, not to mention it's not get mechanics for your shoulders (That's my PT coming out)
    Growing older but not UP

My car now has a heater, and now has HEAT!!

+ Reply to Thread