+ Reply to Thread

Thread: fuel tank question

Hybrid View

fuel tank question

One for the oldsters who have the drop in fuel tank. I am replacing my old one for a dent not rust. What if anything did ford or any of you use as a sealer when the tank is dropped into the floor hole? I was thinking about using a small strip caulk, about the size of spaghetti around the floor hole. I would appreciate any input from the nation. Thanks in advance.....

Does your new 20 gal tank now have a drain plug on bottom? Maybe was standard by '69.
    What us "older classic car folks" do when installing a tank. YES, use the 3M strip caulking stuff. That's what folks do use. Because it's only about 1/4" wide, I'd lay down 2 rows of it. Don't stretch it, just lay it down. I'd also cover all around where screws go through. Then of coarse use new rubber fuel hose, for you think 3/8".

Quote Originally Posted by 390gtconv View Post
    Does your new 20 gal tank now have a drain plug on bottom? Maybe was standard by '69.
    What us "older classic car folks" do when installing a tank. YES, use the 3M strip caulking stuff. That's what folks do use. Because it's only about 1/4" wide, I'd lay down 2 rows of it. Don't stretch it, just lay it down. I'd also cover all around where screws go through. Then of coarse use new rubber fuel hose, for you think 3/8".
    You Old Guys know so much Stuff

Quote Originally Posted by Dennis O'Shea View Post
    You Old Guys know so much Stuff
    What's scary is that we can remember that much, strength and memories in numbers eh???

Quote Originally Posted by 390gtconv View Post
    Thanks George, I appreciate it.....

+ Reply to Thread