+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Barrett Jackson

Barrett Jackson

Watching the last two nights while doing notes and trying to help the new/young manager figure out stats of the office. Been an interesting couple nights. I know last night was all Ron Pratte's cars so they are going to get good $$, which I think they did.
    But I've been noticing a lot of confusion on the bidding. I know it happens, but it just seems like last night and little more than tonight they have been making mistakes and trying to correct it, a couple I don't think that the bidders were too happy. Just seems like a little more than in past auctions that I've watched. I don't know?
    Either way, some nice cars this year. doesn't seem to be too many cars under $20K today. Yesterday doesn't count with the Pratte collection being brought out only.
    Enjoy!
    Growing older but not UP

My car now has a heater, and now has HEAT!!

This is the first time I have been able to really watch a barrett jackson auction and I would have to agree with you. Compared to Mecum, it seems like a second rate operation. i still think they need to up the production value of the show, just seems lack luster and I find their TV hosts sub par.
    -- Ian --
    2003 10th Aniv. Cobra Convertible Torch Red
    Born on 6/18/2003 / Build # 4357 / # 489 0f 10th Aniv
    1 of 369 Torch Red 10th Aniversary cars Built

Mecum or Barrett Jackson & WHY??

Now that I have Velocity channel back, I've been watching several Mecum auctions. I gotta tell you why I like Barrett J better.
    Prices aside, (since it's not me up there buying), I don't think Mecum gets into enough details on a car on stage.
    Nor do they always go around entire car with camera & engine bay. Also often they don't leave car on stage 'til it's sold so sometimes you never hear final price.

My years watching Barrett Jackson:
    They show cars in detail, get into specs on engine & car what diff from factory if anything, car is sold, price announced before next sale. Mecum, often times cars/trucks rolled away and you may or not ever hear final price. I wanna know then what sale $$$ was not have to stick to tv a bit to hear a price...

Also I believe most if not all BJ cars have no reserves, so they're gonna sell. Mecum, some have reserves and don't. I also like the stage better @ BJ cause it's up higher.

That's my .02 I get the prices are a bit high some times, but use sale price as a tool year over year to see trends.

interesting take George...in the hour that I watched I thought the BJ guys had less knowledge about the cars and didn't know much about the history of the car either....unlike the Mecum guys.

At the end of the day, its still more car stuff on TV....win win
    -- Ian --

I just love seeing old cars, some I've never seen. Some do get more details than others but some I don't care to hear details, like a Woodie wagon. lol In my teens I had gen one Camaro's so like seeing them too....
    Some history they may not know if it's not supplied.
    And I can relate to the attention to details on some as you can imagine. Just a nice break from "normal" tv bs & winter...

I was shocked at all how all of the cars from the ron pratte collection ALL got BIG money

shit, an uncompleted boyd coddington woody wagon went for over 80k
    -- Ian --

I like Mecum much better. To Ians point. They make it fun to watch and the guys are entertaining and knowledgeable. BJ doesn't have a guy named "Chicken George" running around on the floor screaming his head off. (love that guy)
    As far as the stage and the overall view of the car....Obviously, the more we can see... the better it is. So win for BJ I guess.

Let's face it...these auctions are pressure cookers.... Mecum looks like they are having fun the whole time while BJ looks like their pants are hiked up to high.
    SVT COBRA

My take is since I'm not there, not my $$$ going, no pressure for me. I like to get good view all the way around, and nice to see sometimes under carriage details like only BJ does. Guys on stage very knowledgeable about whether cars have correct options based on VIN's when that question comes up. I hate when Mecum rolls car/truck away and bidding NOT finished, and they start another car. You don't always know what last car sold for, hate that of Mecum. Not sure though which auction has most cars w/o selling reserves. Whichever, having none of coarse you know car is gonna go.
    If I wanted to see a clown type act on stage, I'd go see Blue Man Group, again!! Each auction house does diff things folks like, I like to see auction completed, as much details on cars all the way around , engine bay of coarse, sometimes underneath, decent models, lol. Why I like BJ's auction.

Knowing sold prices from all auctions helps set the insured values, it's averaged in part from these auctions to help set values for classic cars like mine.
    To each his/her own.

Anyone see the yellow 1970 with the 557ci engine? They said it won Best of Show at Tasca Ford Day at NED. (Which means Rick must have judged it)
    I seem to remember seeing a yellow 70 Mustang at the cruise nights several times a few years ago with a huge engine. It used to shake the ground just idling past. Anyone know if it was the same one?

I think it went for $73000.

Edit: It was this one:
    http://www.barrett-jackson.com/Archi...ASTBACK-181526
    Last edited by SVT10th; 01-17-2015 at 07:36 AM.
    ---
    Jim

2010 Mercedes E550
    2000 Mazda Miata Special Edition

Sold: 2001 10th Anniversary Cobra #353
    1990 Mustang GT Convertible
    2002 Mustang GT

Love it! I don't recall seeing it - would have remembered since 70 is my favorite year.

And even with a 557 in there, there's still a lot more room under the hood than my 94 has! LOL!
    Bruce
    TFS TW heads, rockers, 75mm intake, cam, 75mm TB, CAI, MAF, DeatschWerks 35# injectors, Aeromotive rails/regulator, 255 pump, BeCool rad, alum water pump, MSD 6A/coil, alum flywheel, PP, driveshaft, McLeod clutch, Torsen T2R, 3.73, 31spline axles, 17" 95 Cobra R, NT-05 255/275, MM CC plates, coil-over (Bilstein), rlca, K-brace, A-arms, SF conns, Cobra brakes, =len shorties, 2.5" SS Hpipe, Borla CB...

+ Reply to Thread