+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread: Winter Projects Thread

the only real modification I am going to do is replace my shitty HID's with some LED bulbs...other than that, just a few small maintenance items.

I have a feeling i am going to be real busy this spring lol
    -- Ian --
    2003 10th Aniv. Cobra Convertible Torch Red
    Born on 6/18/2003 / Build # 4357 / # 489 0f 10th Aniv
    1 of 369 Torch Red 10th Aniversary cars Built

Quote Originally Posted by TorchredSVT View Post
    the only real modification I am going to do is replace my shitty HID's with some LED bulbs.
    Ian, the web sites I trust to offer good product do not offer LED headlight replacements yet. They claim LED headlights are too unreliable for their standards. Something to think about...
    Bruce
    TFS TW heads, rockers, 75mm intake, cam, 75mm TB, CAI, MAF, DeatschWerks 35# injectors, Aeromotive rails/regulator, 255 pump, BeCool rad, alum water pump, MSD 6A/coil, alum flywheel, PP, driveshaft, McLeod clutch, Torsen T2R, 3.73, 31spline axles, 17" 95 Cobra R, NT-05 255/275, MM CC plates, coil-over (Bilstein), rlca, K-brace, A-arms, SF conns, Cobra brakes, =len shorties, 2.5" SS Hpipe, Borla CB...

Quote Originally Posted by ToplessPony94 View Post
    Ian, the web sites I trust to offer good product do not offer LED headlight replacements yet. They claim LED headlights are too unreliable for their standards. Something to think about...
    LED lighting in homes now the big thing.
    But if LED lighting in cars (maybe because of vibrations) is different, I'd ask WHY "they claim". You know me, "because" isn't a good answer. Aren't most if not all Germany cars (among others) using LED? Would wanna know what one vendors "concerns are. Is it a retro fit issue?

Quote Originally Posted by 390gtconv View Post
    LED lighting in homes now the big thing.
    But if LED lighting in cars (maybe because of vibrations) is different, I'd ask WHY "they claim". You know me, "because" isn't a good answer. Aren't most if not all Germany cars (among others) using LED? Would wanna know what one vendors "concerns are. Is it a retro fit issue?
    They claim reliability problems. Headlight housings with LED halos are offered, but not headlights themselves. LEDs work in all other application, as my own car is witness to that.
    Bruce
    TFS TW heads, rockers, 75mm intake, cam, 75mm TB, CAI, MAF, DeatschWerks 35# injectors, Aeromotive rails/regulator, 255 pump, BeCool rad, alum water pump, MSD 6A/coil, alum flywheel, PP, driveshaft, McLeod clutch, Torsen T2R, 3.73, 31spline axles, 17" 95 Cobra R, NT-05 255/275, MM CC plates, coil-over (Bilstein), rlca, K-brace, A-arms, SF conns, Cobra brakes, =len shorties, 2.5" SS Hpipe, Borla CB...

LED's themselves been around a long time. Almost as long as I have been in electronics.
    Is there more than one mfg? Has to be?

Quote Originally Posted by 390gtconv View Post
    LED's themselves been around a long time. Almost as long as I have been in electronics.
    Is there more than one mfg? Has to be?
    I'm talking vendors, not manufacturers. The vendors I trust won't sell them yet.

I have to admit that these look interesting, though (for my car) and the prices aren't scary:

http://www.amazon.com/New-Brights-LE...X39AQN7ZJ3WD4M

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00...X74AZ3QDPJYBX6

http://www.amazon.com/Generic-2200LM...X39AQN7ZJ3WD4M
    Last edited by ToplessPony94; 10-23-2014 at 12:36 AM.
    Bruce

You don't trust buying thru Amazon, parts have 5 yrs warranties? Prices you linked are only few $$ more than reg bulbs at local auto stores. Forget vendor.... the part mfg has its warranty, If 5yrs. our cars won't get daily driving to worry about 5yr usage.

Quote Originally Posted by RumbleStang View Post
    07 stang gt ---- Who doing your Supercharger? You buy it local or buy it online and having a local place install it? Thats the plan for my '07 to but thats a few years down the road-
    Definetly Rick the club pres. I will be going with a polished Whipple Twin Screw Supercharger. Then off to Pete at Performance Dyno to have it tuned.

Bruce, im not sure where you get your info from..but there are ton's of people already running LED lights

Here is just one example:
    http://www.svtperformance.com/forums...rminator/page3
    -- Ian --
    2003 10th Aniv. Cobra Convertible Torch Red
    Born on 6/18/2003 / Build # 4357 / # 489 0f 10th Aniv
    1 of 369 Torch Red 10th Aniversary cars Built

Quote Originally Posted by TorchredSVT View Post
    the only real modification I am going to do is replace my shitty HID's with some LED bulbs...other than that, just a few small maintenance items.

I have a feeling i am going to be real busy this spring lol
    Quote Originally Posted by ToplessPony94 View Post
    Ian, there's a long thread on SVTP in the Terminator section about someone who put LEDs in their Cobra. At the end he says even though they seem brighter, they actually don't throw the light very well. And if you look at the photos, it looks like the beam pattern is completely screwed up and you'd end up pissing off most oncoming drivers. (Probably because the LED bulbs don't emit light in the same directions as the regualr bulbs, which changes how the reflector throws the light.
    I wouldn't do it. It seems like it would be fine for the riceboy kids who just want to look cool, but don't give a rats ass about how well it actually works.
    ---
    Jim

2010 Mercedes E550
    2000 Mazda Miata Special Edition

Sold: 2001 10th Anniversary Cobra #353
    1990 Mustang GT Convertible
    2002 Mustang GT

+ Reply to Thread