+ Reply to Thread
Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 2 3 4

Thread: Ok with fall around the corner sad to say,

Kevin, like all sports or hobbies, you can spend as little or as much as you want to get into it. On snowmobiles, You can own the latest machines, get one for every family member, travel way up north, stay at nicer hotels and drop a lot of $$$$. Or if you're handy, own a not new sled, go just on day trips, maybe once in awhile stay over, and only exspense that day is few $$$ for gas. That's what I used to do, just do day trips. Once a season maybe find decent place to stay over or with friends. Living in NH you don't have to travel that far to ride. Some weekends just ride trails around the area. Or many places in NH that have "pull off areas" where you can park, unload and ride, NO cost.
    Like skiers, you have the initial equipment start up costs. Skiers too can have big equipemnt cost if really into it. I just like to unload and go with my sleds. But since I don't like waiting in lines as you would if a skier, I like to just go, buzz around and make my own fun. As far as food, with snowmolbiles you can pack and carry own food or stop at a place you sometimes come across while riding. I like that freedom, part of why I live in NH.

To each his/her own. My machines long gone but kept my nice aluminum 2 place snowmobile trailer. Comes in hand time to time basically zero cost to own.

Final thought, if not sure you'd like snowmobiling, like skiing or cars for that matter, you can rent them. Find a place on line to go rent sleds for a day or weekend and try it all out. Some maynot realize but snowmobiling can be very physical riding as well, again how much effort you wanna put into it.
    Last edited by 390gtconv; 02-06-2015 at 11:28 AM.

I will definetly say you got to have a winter hobby !! We have snowmobiles and love the day trips as well as going up north. I am less than 10 minutes from the state trails over in Freemont, all groomed trails that lead all the way to Pittsburg NH if needed.Last weekend we rode from Freemont to Concord NH, if I cant drive my stang, this is the next best fix!

Tim was trying to tell me I'd be crazy looking at used sleds....but after seeing the costs of new vs. used...I think I'd be crazy to buy new. Hopefully next winter I'll pick up a used sled and trailer. If need be, i can always unload it....
    -- Ian --
    2003 10th Aniv. Cobra Convertible Torch Red
    Born on 6/18/2003 / Build # 4357 / # 489 0f 10th Aniv
    1 of 369 Torch Red 10th Aniversary cars Built

My 67 stang in there, be awhile!.jpgMy 67 in my trailer, be awhile before it comes out.

Hope it stops snowing before World of Wheels comes along. Be tough for folks to get cars there.

yikes, gonna need a front end loader to pull that outta there lol
    -- Ian --
    2003 10th Aniv. Cobra Convertible Torch Red
    Born on 6/18/2003 / Build # 4357 / # 489 0f 10th Aniv
    1 of 369 Torch Red 10th Aniversary cars Built

Ya I know. But for now a great security measure with snow.

Lets hope for a nice warm summer!!!

ok, for those that believe science is better than Old Farmers Almanac. Maybe not so this year. Printed in yesterdays NH newspaper:

A worker clears snow and ice dams from the rooftops of the Amoskeag Mill yard Apartments in Manchester earlier this month. (David Lane/Union Leader)
    Almanac vs. NOAA: Almanac wins

February 21. 2015 7:59PM

A worker clears snow and ice dams from the rooftops of the Amoskeag Mill yard Apartments in Manchester earlier this month. (David Lane/Union Leader)
    Almanac vs. NOAA: Almanac wins
    By TIM BUCKLAND
    New Hampshire Union Leader

This winter has been just mean, featuring cold, biting temperatures, howling winds and the state getting hit repeatedly with one snowstorm after another.

It's like Mother Nature is mad at us.

Back in autumn, it was the old-school Old Farmer's Almanac, which is based in Dublin, and not the National Weather Service's computer models that correctly predicted New England would slog through a colder-than-normal winter.

"winter is expected to be another cold one in the eastern half to two-thirds of the nation," the Old Farmer's Almanac said. Meanwhile, on Oct. 16, the National Weather Service predicted "warmer-than-average temperatures in the Western U.S., extending from the West Coast through most of the inter-mountain west and across the U.S.-Canadian border through New York and New England."

When winter started in December, it sure looked like the National Weather Service was going to be right, according to its reports for Concord, where the NWS keeps official statistics. December was 4 degrees warmer than average and was the 15th warmest ever, according to the NWS.

But things took a bitter turn in January, according to the NWS.

"The average temperature for January was 18.3 degrees, which was 2.3 degrees below normal. This was the coldest January since 2009," the NWS said in its report for January.

So far, according to a preliminary report for February, this month has been far colder than normal, with just one day, Feb. 10, recording an average temperature higher than the month's average of 23.2 degrees. The temperature has averaged 11.9 degrees in February, which is more than 11 degrees below normal, according to the report.

And the next several days are going to be bitter again, with a high temperature of 14 degrees and a low of -7 degrees predicted for Monday in Concord.

"It certainly does not look like this upcoming week we'll see any appreciable warm-up," said James Brown, a meteorologist with the NWS office in Gray, Maine.

The warmest day in this week's forecast is expected to be today, with a predicted high temperature of 34 degrees for Concord.

And this winter follows last year's winter, which was snowier and far colder than normal, with temperatures in the single digits recorded in mid-March.

But the almanac didn't get its winter prediction completely right, as it predicted below normal snowfall for New England this winter. The NWS does not provide a prediction for snowfall in its seasonal forecast.

Nope. Concord, which has totaled nearly 80 inches of snow so far this year, is well above its average snowfall of 61 inches, according to the NWS. It started with a Thanksgiving snowstorm that dumped more than a foot of snow on Concord. December saw below-average snowfall, but Mother Nature sure made up for it after the New Year.

January had 25 inches of snow in Concord, which was 7 inches more than average, and February has already had just under 40 inches of snow, with more falling Saturday night into today.

"We're certainly going to see several inches," Brown said.

This is after the last two winters also had much higher snowfall than average, as 83.4 inches fell in 2012-13 and 80.4 inches fell last year, according to the data.

The last winter to have less snow than average was 2011-12, when just 48.1 inches of snow was recorded, according to the NWS.
    - See more at: http://www.unionleader.com/article/2....2EcEDmmD.dpuf

This is all I have to say in response:

if we get anymore goddamn blizzards, I'm gonna get all stabby....
    ---
    Jim

2010 Mercedes E550
    2000 Mazda Miata Special Edition

Sold: 2001 10th Anniversary Cobra #353
    1990 Mustang GT Convertible
    2002 Mustang GT

We'll make sure we all stay away, cause a chance of more storms, Sunday/Monday and maybe mid next week.

Hope after that temps rise, storms take a break. We do need slow melting.

Quote Originally Posted by SVT10th View Post
    This is all I have to say in response:

if we get anymore goddamn blizzards, I'm gonna get all stabby....
    Now that is funny !!!

+ Reply to Thread