+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Unleaded gas - classic pre-unleaded engines

Unleaded gas - classic pre-unleaded engines

So -- you guys with classic Mustangs from the pre-unleaded era...

Do you have to do anything special to run unleaded gas without damaging the valves, etc in your engines? It used to be that people would add lead additives to their gas, but I'm not even sure you can get that any more.

Or is it kind of a non-issue now....

Reason I ask... well, if I was was to say... Sell the Cobra and buy a 69 Mach... is it something I need to know about?
    ---
    Jim

2010 Mercedes E550
    2000 Mazda Miata Special Edition

Sold: 2001 10th Anniversary Cobra #353
    1990 Mustang GT Convertible
    2002 Mustang GT

FWIW, I saw the lead additive at Advance Auto Parts last time I was at cruise night.
    Bruce
    TFS TW heads, rockers, 75mm intake, cam, 75mm TB, CAI, MAF, DeatschWerks 35# injectors, Aeromotive rails/regulator, 255 pump, BeCool rad, alum water pump, MSD 6A/coil, alum flywheel, PP, driveshaft, McLeod clutch, Torsen T2R, 3.73, 31spline axles, 17" 95 Cobra R, NT-05 255/275, MM CC plates, coil-over (Bilstein), rlca, K-brace, A-arms, SF conns, Cobra brakes, =len shorties, 2.5" SS Hpipe, Borla CB...

Just stop by NED for leaded race fuel

1994 GT Convertible
    1997 COBRA **SOLD**
    2003 GT Convertible
    2013 Mustang GT 5.0 **SOLD**
    2019 F150 Lariat Luxury

Quote Originally Posted by ToplessPony94 View Post
    FWIW, I saw the lead additive at Advance Auto Parts last time I was at cruise night.
    Really? I'm amazed that the tree-huggers haven't gotten it outlawed by now. (It IS pretty nasty stuff)

Quote Originally Posted by LILBLKSNAKE View Post
    Just stop by NED for leaded race fuel
    yeah. I'm gonna drive 30 miles to get a tank of gas.

How about Todd and George, you guys must have some insight, since you actually drive cars with engines designed for lead.
    Last edited by SVT10th; 07-25-2014 at 01:44 PM.
    ---
    Jim

2010 Mercedes E550
    2000 Mazda Miata Special Edition

Sold: 2001 10th Anniversary Cobra #353
    1990 Mustang GT Convertible
    2002 Mustang GT

Quote Originally Posted by SVT10th View Post
    Really? I'm amazed that the tree-huggers haven't gotten it outlawed by now. (It IS pretty nasty stuff)
    You can still get things with 2-cycle engines, too!
    Bruce
    TFS TW heads, rockers, 75mm intake, cam, 75mm TB, CAI, MAF, DeatschWerks 35# injectors, Aeromotive rails/regulator, 255 pump, BeCool rad, alum water pump, MSD 6A/coil, alum flywheel, PP, driveshaft, McLeod clutch, Torsen T2R, 3.73, 31spline axles, 17" 95 Cobra R, NT-05 255/275, MM CC plates, coil-over (Bilstein), rlca, K-brace, A-arms, SF conns, Cobra brakes, =len shorties, 2.5" SS Hpipe, Borla CB...

I was told that you have to replace something on the pistons (or something like that) to run the unleaded. I just run unleaded now, no additives. I was told mine was replaced but knowing my luck it's still original and I've totally screwed up the engine and it shouldn't be running now. (just like everything else on my car)
    Growing older but not UP

My car now has a heater, and now has HEAT!!

The issue with "classic cars" and unleaded fuel is the valves. In the old days "regular" gas had the lead in it to help lubricate the valves. So when folks have their old engines rebuilt, shops install "harden" valve seats to handle todays unleaded fuel.
    Now it's been said in articles and on classic car forums such as: http://forums.vintage-mustang.com/ that as long as you are doing gentle cruzing and not hard driving or towing, classic cars (think early '70 and older) you'd be ok.
    But if you wanna just upgrade, pull heads, have valve job done, all set.

I had hardened seats put in when the engine was built some 30 years ago, no probs.....

+ Reply to Thread