PDA

View Full Version : "Performance Tunes" for Mustangs

PonikNH
06-02-2012, 05:15 PM
Ok, I need some input on "tunes" for the newer Mustangs. I've gotten opinions for and against from different forums. I even mentioned it to a gentleman at the last NHMC cruise night I was at. My reason for a tune, I just want to remove the electronic limiter of 118 mph. No, I'm not planning on racing on the streets or attempting to exceed that on the streets. I just don't like the fact that the Mustang is limited. I know I need to upgrade to H or Z rated tires and look into "updates" to the driveshaft. What stops me is that I have only had the car for 4 months and do not want to void the warranty with a tune. I guess that is my answer, but would like some input from this forum.
Thanks

KillaGT
06-02-2012, 05:39 PM
if your doing it with a hand help tuner you can always go back to factory at anytime, but I would def keep asking before you do anything

Dennis O'Shea
06-02-2012, 07:31 PM
Talk to our beloved President he will guide you in the right direction

LILBLKSNAKE
06-02-2012, 10:26 PM
Call Pete Johnson at performance Dyno. Get accurate info from Him, he's the tuner that most of the nhmc uses!!! Pete can get you the sct tuner so you can reverse the whole thing back to stock

MY-S281
06-03-2012, 09:42 AM
Yes, speak with Rick L. aka the "PREZ" and set up an appointment with Pete @ Performance Dyno : http://performance-dyno.com/

TorchredSVT
06-04-2012, 08:33 AM
What exactly are you trying to do by tuning the car? Are you looking for performance upgrades?

You have one of the best tuners in your back yard at performance dyno. If i was you I'd give Pete a call and he can walk you though the pro's and con's

Tuning your car is one sure way to void the warranty.....but as mentioned you can load the stock tune in at any time for the purposes of dealer work.

Pete C
06-04-2012, 02:48 PM
I had Pete tune my car at "Dyon Day" this year and it made a huge difference.The car simply runs better overall. Well worth doing. Along with the tune I added a cold air intake. Ask Pete or Rick for suggestions on an intake. I went the Ford Racing route only to find out it was not the best option I could have chosen and if you are going to spend the money you want to make it count.

Ok, I need some input on "tunes" for the newer Mustangs. I've gotten opinions for and against from different forums. I even mentioned it to a gentleman at the last NHMC cruise night I was at. My reason for a tune, I just want to remove the electronic limiter of 118 mph. No, I'm not planning on racing on the streets or attempting to exceed that on the streets. I just don't like the fact that the Mustang is limited. I know I need to upgrade to H or Z rated tires and look into "updates" to the driveshaft. What stops me is that I have only had the car for 4 months and do not want to void the warranty with a tune. I guess that is my answer, but would like some input from this forum.
Thanks

Pete C
06-04-2012, 02:50 PM
Sorry I type like crap. I meant to say "Dyno Day" not Dyon.....

I had Pete tune my car at "Dyon Day" this year and it made a huge difference.The car simply runs better overall. Well worth doing. Along with the tune I added a cold air intake. Ask Pete or Rick for suggestions on an intake. I went the Ford Racing route only to find out it was not the best option I could have chosen and if you are going to spend the money you want to make it count.

TTA89
06-07-2012, 10:06 AM
You might want to do some reading. The new PCMs in these cars are able to detect when tunes have been flashed in and out. Ford is getting smart and can tell if you changed the tune, if you have a major issue this is one of the 1st things Ford will check to void your power train warranty.

SVT10th
06-07-2012, 05:23 PM
You might want to do some reading. The new PCMs in these cars are able to detect when tunes have been flashed in and out. Ford is getting smart and can tell if you changed the tune, if you have a major issue this is one of the 1st things Ford will check to void you're power train warranty.

There's a actually some consumer protection involved in this type owner modification, I believe. I don't remember the name of the "act" or law, but my understanding of it is that owner modifications cannot completely "void" a car's warranty. The manufacturer can refuse to honor a warranty repair if the modification can be shown to have caused the damage that necessitated the repair. So for instance if you swap in an aftermarket cold air intake, and your exhaust system falls off, it would be difficult for the manufacturer to assign blame to that modification.
If however, you change the tune and then blow the head gasket they would be within their right to refuse the warrantee.

It would also be worthwhile to investigate dealers in the area -- some are known to be more "modification friendly" than others.

PonikNH
06-08-2012, 05:01 AM
What exactly are you trying to do by tuning the car? Are you looking for performance upgrades?

You have one of the best tuners in your back yard at performance dyno. If i was you I'd give Pete a call and he can walk you though the pro's and con's

Tuning your car is one sure way to void the warranty.....but as mentioned you can load the stock tune in at any time for the purposes of dealer work.
Just trying to remove the govenor that limits the V6 to 118 MPH. Just don't like that idea, the engine is capable of so much more, STOCK!

LILBLKSNAKE
06-08-2012, 07:57 AM
Just trying to remove the govenor that limits the V6 to 118 MPH. Just don't like that idea, the engine is capable of so much more, STOCK!

while you're at it, I would bring a JLT Cold Air kit just to add a few ponies.

TorchredSVT
06-08-2012, 08:35 AM
if you are going down the route of truly tuning the car ed is right.....do it right and get a few performance upgrades

there really is no pont in just removing the speed limit, chances are there is a reason why it's on there in the first place. I am not familiar with the V6 motors or thier capabilities, but I can tell you there was a specific reason Ford put a limiter on the terminator cars. The reason was piston to wall clearance and lack of cooling...high speed runs = bye bye motor.

Rowdy
06-08-2012, 01:17 PM
I think you are referring to the "Magnuson-Moss Warranty Act" and you are correct the manufacturer/Dealer can't just void your your whoile warranty because you have made some changes to the factory installed equipment.
This statue is intended to protect the consumer from deceptive warranty practices.
If your claim is greater than 25K, you can bring action in federal court. You can also file a class action if the class plaintiffs is greater than 100. For lesser amounts, action would need to be taken in state courts.
You may also recover reasonable costs of suit, ie. attorney fees, and this fact also aids in the effectiveness of this act.

Richard Hill-Rowdy's Owner

PonikNH
06-09-2012, 10:21 AM
if you are going down the route of truly tuning the car ed is right.....do it right and get a few performance upgrades

there really is no pont in just removing the speed limit, chances are there is a reason why it's on there in the first place. I am not familiar with the V6 motors or thier capabilities, but I can tell you there was a specific reason Ford put a limiter on the terminator cars. The reason was piston to wall clearance and lack of cooling...high speed runs = bye bye motor.

You could be right, but I feel it is more for liability and marketing. Why buy a GT if a V6 goes just as fast ;^)

Rowdy
06-09-2012, 12:07 PM
Remember what TorchredSVT said regarding the possibility of blowing the engine? I guess if you are going to replace the V6 with a V8, YEAH, go ahead a try it but I wouldn't just "blow off" what was said in the aforementioned post. Most of the members of this club give pretty good advice. My suggestion would be that you check with our president "Rick" who is a Master Mechanic" or someone directly tied into Ford, before proceeding, unless of course you have "Money To Blow".

Richard Hill-Rowdy's Owner

PonikNH
06-09-2012, 01:55 PM
Ok, trying to "make peace" here. I understand everything that everyone has stated. I was asking for opinions on just removing that 118 MPH limit. I am aware that besides my "perception" of it being there for safety and marketing, it is also there for engine, drive-train, etc. "protection". I understand the whole warranty issue if I do a tune during the warranty period and there is a failure that can be traced to the tune. I appreciate all of the input and will seek out Rick at the next cruise night I attend. After reading your replies here and getting information from another forum. I'm leaving the car stock in regards to a Tune, CAI, etc. It is fine as it is. I also want this car to be drivable daily, that is why I bought it. Thanks again, and see you all soon.
PonikNH

KARMAN
06-10-2012, 03:19 PM
I did a lot of research on this before I bought my 2007 V6 in 2010.
I was considering buying a 2011 and I wanted to know as much as I could before I bought.
The speed limiter is because of the tires. If you upgrade them, you should be OK.
Yes, you probably need a tune to turn it off (and it could void portions of your warranty).
The portions in question will be only related to the engine and drive-train.
My 2006 V8 had a tune on it the first year, but I drive so few miles warranties don't do much for me.