PDA

View Full Version : Pothole ate my tire

scottb00
06-21-2014, 04:00 PM
On my way back from work on Rt 93 N around exit 36 and a pothole flattened my right passenger side tire. I got towed back to Atkinson and found a small hole on the tread. If I plug the tire will it be safe? I've plugged tires on my truck but that's a different animal

Was looking forward to Cruise Night but not going to happen now. Roads are so bad in MA

390gtconv
06-21-2014, 09:58 PM
On my way back from work on Rt 93 N around exit 36 and a pothole flattened my right passenger side tire. I got towed back to Atkinson and found a small hole on the tread. If I plug the tire will it be safe? I've plugged tires on my truck but that's a different animal

Was looking forward to Cruise Night but not going to happen now. Roads are so bad in MA
Doing a tire plug on bottom or area with tread is ok. Some prefer inside patch.
What won't work is a sidewall patch, to much tire sidewall flexing.

SVT10th
06-22-2014, 05:50 PM
What George said +1

However, if you driving, umm..., "Sportingly" -- it might be safest to just buy a new one. Having the plug let go at speed would be kind of exciting....

Jibber
06-22-2014, 08:43 PM
Roads are so bad in MA

I agree with you completely.. I've said this many times and in fact I've said they are probably some of the worst in the country!!!
Some of the guys on this forum from Mass will disagree though..... Must be brain washed or something....

Sorry about your tire. That really sucks.

scottb00
06-23-2014, 08:16 AM
Thanks for the advice. I may just buy a new tire for peace of mind. Car is sitting in the garage with a flat still. I will take it off on Saturday and assess the damage

TorchredSVT
06-23-2014, 08:41 AM
I agree with you completely.. I've said this many times and in fact I've said they are probably some of the worst in the country!!!
Some of the guys on this forum from Mass will disagree though..... Must be brain washed or something....

Sorry about your tire. That really sucks.

Here's a news flash, roads in NH aren't any better. Funny how I have had my light weight aluminum racing wheels for over a month and had zero issues with the "rough" MA roads. #laughable

TorchredSVT
06-23-2014, 08:42 AM

Personally, on a car that has a ton of torque, only way I'd ever consider patching is taking the tire off and patching from the inside. As mentioned, plugs aren't a great long term solution

Jibber
06-23-2014, 08:56 AM
Here's a news flash, roads in NH aren't any better. Funny how I have had my light weight aluminum racing wheels for over a month and had zero issues with the "rough" MA roads. #laughable

"Rough" MA roads is an understatement. Brainwashing has worked... Or your just gullible.

chachee52
06-23-2014, 09:02 AM
I just drove around NH yesterday in the mustang and I will say that it was PRETTY bumpy on main Rts.

If I recall, isn't exit 36 under construction right now so it IS all dug up and milled? Or is that just past and they are about to fix it?

TorchredSVT
06-23-2014, 09:25 AM
I just drove around NH yesterday in the mustang and I will say that it was PRETTY bumpy on main Rts.

If I recall, isn't exit 36 under construction right now so it IS all dug up and milled? Or is that just past and they are about to fix it?

Don't you mean 93 north that will be under construction for the next 10 years because NH can't handle large infrastructure projects? I mean, thankfully it's not the only major highway that goes into NH or anything.

SVT10th
06-23-2014, 10:12 AM
Don't you mean 93 north that will be under construction for the next 10 years because NH can't handle large infrastructure projects? I mean, thankfully it's not the only major highway that goes into NH or anything.

Interstate route projects include Federal dollars, planning and oversight. Comparisons about interstate routes in different states are apples and oranges. Look at state and local roads for apples to apples comparison. (say NH Rt 101 vs MA Rt 128)

Mass roads are weird -- they're either very good, or are way overdue for maintenance and completely suck. NH roads seem to be maintained more frequently, so their average is a decent road, but not always great.

ToplessPony94
06-23-2014, 10:44 AM
Interstate route projects include Federal dollars, planning and oversight. Comparisons about interstate routes in different states are apples and oranges. Look at state and local roads for apples to apples comparison. (say NH Rt 101 vs MA Rt 128)

Mass roads are weird -- they're either very good, or are way overdue for maintenance and completely suck. NH roads seem to be maintained more frequently, so their average is a decent road, but not always great.

Very true. Except for Salem NH. Salem has my vote for the worst roads in the state for at least the last 20 years.

390gtconv
06-23-2014, 12:46 PM

Oh and you don't even wanna talking about the BIG DIG. And falling ceiling tile. And the backwards designed on/off ramps at the interchange of rte 93 & rte 128 (rte95)...

TorchredSVT
06-23-2014, 01:00 PM
Big dig was an issue on an entirely different scale, that was a political scandal more than a construction issue.

At the end of the day, MA has a population of almost 4x of NH. 4x the cars, 4x the traffic and 4x the maintenance.....comparing the two states road system is pointless, but please, keep on bashing. I am getting a kick out of some of the whining.

Dennis O'Shea
06-23-2014, 02:35 PM
Hey whats Interstate 95 I thought that went through NH

Jibber
06-23-2014, 05:00 PM
Big dig was an issue on an entirely different scale, that was a political scandal more than a construction issue.

At the end of the day, MA has a population of almost 4x of NH. 4x the cars, 4x the traffic and 4x the maintenance.....comparing the two states road system is pointless, but please, keep on bashing. I am getting a kick out of some of the whining.

Haha. Ian your too funny. I think your boy Deval needs a new spokesperson. You would do great by him.. You swallow the Koolaid big time.

Get your facts straight. Mass has 6x times the population of NH. Your right.. Mass roads are no different than NH roads. It's just fun to say that kind of stuff because of the hardnose defensive postion you take.... It's almost cult like..... I laugh every time you defend them...

390gtconv
06-23-2014, 06:39 PM
Then there's all the toll road hikes or not to do hikes, where does the money go. do we need it?

chachee52
06-23-2014, 08:05 PM
Then there's all the toll road hikes or not to do hikes, where does the money go. do we need it?

Which state are you talking about? Cause NH doesn't hike tolls......... o wait, they did.

390gtconv
06-23-2014, 08:48 PM
Which state are you talking about? Cause NH doesn't hike tolls......... o wait, they did.

But wait for it, only after a very long time.
Now Mass took some away, then put 'em back. For a road paid for already.

Boy this is fun... lol

BTW for short term if ya had to, I'd at least fix tire and put on the back of the car keeping better tires up front.

TorchredSVT
06-24-2014, 08:45 AM
Haha. Ian your too funny. I think your boy Deval needs a new spokesperson. You would do great by him.. You swallow the Koolaid big time.

Get your facts straight. Mass has 6x times the population of NH. Your right.. Mass roads are no different than NH roads. It's just fun to say that kind of stuff because of the hardnose defensive postion you take.... It's almost cult like..... I laugh every time you defend them...

I hate Deval patrick, think he's a turd...but that's a whole different discussion. I am not defending anything except of the blatant MA bashing that most of you NH people do, you just come off as the typical NH stereotype. I think it's hilarious how people from NH bash MA, but yet turn around and work here....lolz

Last time I checked the only roads tolled in MA are rt 90 and rt 1. Not sure how many roads are tolled in NH other than route 3.

Jibber
06-24-2014, 10:25 AM
I hate Deval patrick, think he's a turd...but that's a whole different discussion. I am not defending anything except of the blatant MA bashing that most of you NH people do, you just come off as the typical NH stereotype. I think it's hilarious how people from NH bash MA, but yet turn around and work here....lolz

Last time I checked the only roads tolled in MA are rt 90 and rt 1. Not sure how many roads are tolled in NH other than route 3.

Haha. Good stuff.
Curious, whats a NH Stereotype? Please advise....Am I one?

NH has tolls on rt3, I-95 and the Spaulding Turnpike. (connects Seacoast to Points North)

SVT10th
06-24-2014, 01:05 PM
...I am not defending anything except of the blatant MA bashing that most of you NH people do, you just come off as the typical NH stereotype...
...I am not defending anything except of the blatant NH bashing that most of you MA people do, you just come off as the typical MA stereotype...

Yet you do exactly what you're accuse us of. I grew up in Mass and have lived in NH for 20+ years. I have family in Mass that I visit regularly. I'm pretty familiar with the state of road repair in both states. I stand by my original statement -- when Mass roads are repaired they're usually great. But their repair cycle is much longer than NHs and they degrade to a much worse state than NH roads. NH roads may not usually be as good when recently repaired, but we have a better average state of repair, I think. (and of course there are exceptions to every rule.)

I'm thinking this discussion might have to go Flame Suit!

Dennis O'Shea
06-24-2014, 02:41 PM
Boys and I quote our esteem moderator would be saying at this point We have fallen off the track on this thread .It sounds like a political add for some one running for the Highway dept.Lets take this to The Flaming Rotundra section on the forum. And I Approve this statement:p

TorchredSVT
06-24-2014, 04:47 PM
I just realized this wasn't in the Rotunda...my bad!!

what it all boils down to is economies of scale, but as the hipsters say #whatever

Dennis O'Shea
06-24-2014, 05:32 PM
Listen don't let it happen again:p
I just realized this wasn't in the Rotunda...my bad!!

what it all boils down to is economies of scale, but as the hipsters say #whatever

07 stang gt
06-25-2014, 07:25 AM
Enough political stuff, dont bandaid a tire !!! That one time you hit triple digits on the speedo and boom, exploding tire, not a road that I would go down !!!

Jibber
06-25-2014, 10:38 AM
Enough political stuff, dont bandaid a tire !!! That one time you hit triple digits on the speedo and boom, exploding tire, not a road that I would go down !!!

I agree.

Jimmy, can your car go that fast? LOL

ToplessPony94
06-25-2014, 11:19 AM
I agree.

Jimmy, can your car go that fast? LOL

Me, too. The last time I plugged a tire on my Stang it was still stock. That was a l-o-n-g time ago! :D

I'd replace the tire, and unless the tires were nearly new I would replace them in side-to-side pairs.

I would NOT want a repaired tire on the front of my Stang, and most of us have enough torque in the rear that I would not want one there either.

YMMV.

scottb00
06-25-2014, 09:18 PM
Hi all. I decided to purchase a new tire to be on the safe side. Thanks for all the advice.

Ps - didn't mean to start a flame suit discussion!

07 stang gt
06-26-2014, 07:22 AM
I agree.

Jimmy, can your car go that fast? LOL Really? It does get weighed down a lot with all the trophies I have to lug home from shows !! LOL

Mike
06-26-2014, 10:06 AM
just a newbie question if I may : \
Are you allowed to have different tires (or a old and a new one ) on the same axle ?

From where I come law states you have to change tires by pairs..

ToplessPony94
06-26-2014, 10:52 AM
Are you allowed to have different tires (or a old and a new one ) on the same axle ?

No such laws in NH. But it's still a good idea, as in my previous post.

scottb00
06-26-2014, 02:08 PM
tires barely have 2K miles so it should be ok

TorchredSVT
06-26-2014, 02:11 PM

What state is that? That's just insanity......must be peoples republic of CA

ToplessPony94
06-26-2014, 02:43 PM
tires barely have 2K miles so it should be ok

OK - agreed. I'd do the same.

whtmare
06-26-2014, 02:48 PM

Yeah peoples republic of trolls.....

390gtconv
06-26-2014, 06:39 PM

The "concern" is NOT a state issue as I know it but a vehicle mfg concern. Be interested for any state to enforce I'd think if it was true.

I believe (at least with Ford's) that AWD vehicles, tires on same axle MUST be replaced in pairs. I know this to be true with Explorers, Escapes, & my son's 2010 AWD Fusion. Failure to do so will harm the transmission. I also happened to in Transmedic in Windham one day when a customer came and asked this question. Shop said yes you do. Most likely all explained in the owners manual as well.

Jibber
06-27-2014, 08:42 AM

I believe Mike is from France...

Why are you hating on CA?

TorchredSVT
06-27-2014, 08:44 AM
CA is great state to live in....not a great state to be a car enthusiast in

Jibber
06-27-2014, 08:50 AM

Yeah. The roads are worse than MA Roads. haha

Dennis O'Shea
06-27-2014, 09:33 AM
Some of the greatest car come from California

Jibber
06-30-2014, 09:32 AM
Some of the greatest car come from California

Heres Oshea's infatuation with Shelby surfacing again....

Mike
06-30-2014, 10:20 AM

As Jibber said, I'm from France, this is where the law says that tires must be replaced by pairs.
It makes sense for wear, and thread patterns..
the only place it doesn't make sense, is the bank account :)