PDA

View Full Version : So I guess Clay is dead?

TorchredSVT
05-22-2014, 01:58 PM
Have been reading a lot lately about how Clay is a thing of the past

Ed and I were texting about this last night actually.....apparently been replaced by this:

http://www.autogeek.net/nanoskin-autoscrub-wash-mitt-fine-grade.html

Does it really work?

SVT10th
05-22-2014, 02:59 PM
I was just reading about these. I guess they're the next new thing. I haven't tried it, but it' s frickin expensive!
I can buy 3-4 clay bars for that price and it only takes about 20 minutes to clay a car (assuming it's car like ours -- a DD will obviously take longer).

But you know, if the price comes down, I'll try it.

07 stang gt
05-22-2014, 03:06 PM
Very expensive product and the words "autoscub" scares me !!

TorchredSVT
05-22-2014, 04:31 PM
the sponges aren't that expensive at all:

http://www.autogeek.net/nanoskin-speedy-prep-sponge-fine-grade.html?productid=nanoskin-speedy-prep-sponge-fine-grade&channelid=PGRAB&utm_source=CSEs&utm_medium=PriceGrabber&utm_campaign=CSE

Dennis O'Shea
05-22-2014, 04:43 PM
Have been reading a lot lately about how Clay is a thing of the past

Ed and I were texting about this last night actually.....apparently been replaced by this:

http://www.autogeek.net/nanoskin-autoscrub-wash-mitt-fine-grade.html

Does it really work?Watching that Video of the washing Mitt he looks or maybe its just me that he is scrubbing pretty hard.I would hate to think if you picked up a sand stone you may do some real damage Just an observation on my part

390gtconv
05-22-2014, 06:56 PM
I've been using clay bar (either Mothers or Maguire's) for yrs @ ~ $16 a kit. I'm ok with doing just that. A proven process with as advertised results and if careful can be used a few times thru-out season. NOT changing.

So as you rub a sponge to try to lift off embedded dirty, and a sponge has no way to "suspend" the dirty like clay bar, what happens to dirt particle, drag it around your paint? hmmm No thanks

Dennis O'Shea
05-22-2014, 07:07 PM
Thats just what I just said
I've been using clay bar (either Mothers or Maguire's) for yrs @ ~ $16 a kit. I'm ok with doing just that. A proven process with as advertised results and if careful can be used a few times thru-out season. NOT changing.

So as you rub a sponge to try to lift off embedded dirty, and a sponge has no way to "suspend" the dirty like clay bar, what happens to dirt particle, drag it around your paint? hmmm No thanks

LILBLKSNAKE
05-22-2014, 07:19 PM
I've had one of those for years. If you read it correctly, it states you do it as you wash the car. If you keep dipping it in your clean soap bucket it works fine. where do you think all the dirt goes with the clay? It gets dragged across the rest of the surface til you pull the clay apart and clean it. look at your clay every couple passes.

390gtconv
05-22-2014, 07:45 PM
I've had one of those for years. If you read it correctly, it states you do it as you wash the car. If you keep dipping it in your clean soap bucket it works fine. where do you think all the dirt goes with the clay? It gets dragged across the rest of the surface til you pull the clay apart and clean it. look at your clay every couple passes.
Clay has worked well for years. Clay as a material pulls up the particles and soft enough to hold w/o rubbing it into paint.

You're NOT gonna be dipping sponge into soapy water with maybe other dirt every 2 seconds to rinse, right? Normally with a sponge you'd wash a door, maybe dip sponge, do hood, rinse sponge. A process that relies on people to follow precisely. A clay bar, not so much.

TorchredSVT
05-23-2014, 08:59 AM
George, that's why you use the "two bucket method".....one bucket to rinse the sponge/rag/clay and one bucket that's ONLY clean water

and there is no way you can clay a whole car with out having to take the clay bar off the paint to reset, re-kneed. Clay is just as abrasive to paint as this mitt would be.

Technology changes guys, its the way of the world.

390gtconv
05-23-2014, 10:48 AM
George, that's why you use the "two bucket method".....one bucket to rinse the sponge/rag/clay and one bucket that's ONLY clean water

and there is no way you can clay a whole car with out having to take the clay bar off the paint to reset, re-kneed. Clay is just as abrasive to paint as this mitt would be.

Technology changes guys, its the way of the world.

Ya I know "kneading" is a continuous process along with the spray and wipe, AS spelled out in the instructions on the box.
The Clay bar manufactures state their clay bars when used properly are non-abrasive. , when used with the spray.
The thought here is when I wash a car with sponge or mitt and when done the bonded contaminants are still there, why would another sponge lift those contaminants off and keep away from wiping immediately? A clay bar is tacky by nature, and as you "wipe, knead, wipe, no immediate risks to scratching. It suspends the contaminants. Not dependant on person going to rinsing sponge every 5 seconds.
I would be interested to see & feel a hood done half sides done both ways to fell which is smoother w/o scratching. I feel using a product that's tacky enough to lift embedded contaminants clean finish quickly w/o scratching is way to go. Just my .02

And we all know NEW technolgy is NOT always better, sometimes just cheaper.

LILBLKSNAKE
05-23-2014, 06:43 PM
But which is better Facebook or the Forum???

ToplessPony94
05-23-2014, 11:10 PM
But which is better Facebook or the Forum???

Not going there again. Maybe someone else will take the bait.

Dennis O'Shea
05-24-2014, 11:46 AM
:eek: "Alert Alert Alert" this thread has been jacked "Alert Alert Alert":eek:

but which is better facebook or the forum???