PDA

View Full Version : What do you think of this combo Jimmy?

TorchredSVT
05-21-2014, 11:33 AM
I need to give the car a real paint correction.....I was thinking of going this route:

wash / Clay
Adams correcting polish
Adams finish polish
( both applied via porter cable )

Sealed wih Zaino - applied by hand
Topped with Pinnacle Sourvean carnuba wax - applied by hand

Whatcha think?

Dennis O'Shea
05-21-2014, 11:57 AM
[QUOTE=TorchredSVT;9495]I need to give the car a real paint correction.....Paint it Yellow

LILBLKSNAKE
05-21-2014, 08:20 PM
Zaino is sooooo yesterday. I fell for that cult 15 years ago

390gtconv
05-21-2014, 08:48 PM
Where I shop:
http://www.autopia-carcare.com/
Product line I've been using for ~ 10 yrs. Has done me very well as most know my car and hardware.
http://www.autopia-carcare.com/blackfire-car-care.html
Don't just turn heads, create WHIPLASH! BLACKFIRE
awesome product!

07 stang gt
05-22-2014, 05:49 AM
I need to give the car a real paint correction.....I was thinking of going this route:

wash / Clay
Adams correcting polish
Adams finish polish
( both applied via porter cable )

Sealed wih Zaino - applied by hand
Topped with Pinnacle Sourvean carnuba wax - applied by hand

Whatcha think?I think that is a good combo and you use what your comfortable with. Personally Zaino is old school compared to Adams sealant. If its not a daily driver, no need to use sealant.I would instead use a glaze (Adams Brilliant Glaze) after you do a 2 or 3 step paint correction to bring out the gloss in your paint and add some POP to the finish, then wax it for a rock hard finish with (Adams Americana) carnuba wax. I have all of them available for you to try before you purchase or put anything on your car. You are more than welcome to try anything I have. Zaino is pretty old school now compared to whats out there. Most people get comfortable with a product and stick with it, as I did forever BEFORE I tried something else. NOTHING went on and off and has the shine and gloss as Adams does. I tried many them before I decided to do high end detailing and sent all back except the Adams products. I would NEVER have used a machine on my Mustang before I learned how to REALLY DETAIL cars the right way, and now I would not fear using a machine on anything I detail. There are a lot of misconceptions out there and a lot of bad info in the detail world, and I was a perfect example and with most of us until I really got into it. Anyway, you are more than welcome to try anything I use before you do a paint correction. GOOD towels are a must as well. We should get toghter and try a couple of prodcuts to see what your happy with before you correct your paint.

TorchredSVT
05-22-2014, 09:18 AM
Thanks Jimmy....I haven't ever used a machine before so that's why I am hesitant and trying to figure out what works.

Happy to get together at some point....maybe one Saturday before a cruise night we can connect

I know Zaino might be old school, but it still works for my car , plus I have a ton of product left I'd like to use. Once it's gone I'll transition on to something else.

And Ed, your opinion doesn't count...you don't even wash your cars anymore nor drive anything but your daily to meets.

Dennis O'Shea
05-22-2014, 01:48 PM
If I may get serious for a minute. I am no expert on this but I think when you find a product that works for yo.that's the one. And I believe that the most expensive is not always the best for the said person. The results are in the eyes of the beholder.I think it like everyone does different thing with there car's Wheels Engine dressup ETC.I think when we each detail our car's when it is finished we go that looks cool.There are so many products out there a person could go broke trying them all. I can attest to that I have a cabinet with a lot of stuff I've tried and wasn't happy with the results.I think when you find what you feel looks good and works for you.Thats the product for you. Ian you car always looks great and yes in your eye it may need to be freshened up.And after a little trial and error I am sure it will look awesome.We are lucky to have someone like Jimmy to bounce stuff off of And I for one value his advice. But in the end its what makes you the car guy happy.

TorchredSVT
05-22-2014, 01:55 PM
very good point Dennis and thank you, appreciate it

07 stang gt
05-22-2014, 02:58 PM
Thanks Jimmy....I haven't ever used a machine before so that's why I am hesitant and trying to figure out what works.

Happy to get together at some point....maybe one Saturday before a cruise night we can connect

I know Zaino might be old school, but it still works for my car , plus I have a ton of product left I'd like to use. Once it's gone I'll transition on to something else.

And Ed, your opinion doesn't count...you don't even wash your cars anymore nor drive anything but your daily to meets. I would not try a Poter Cable or any machine on your Cobra if its your first time with a machine. Don't let it be the car you burn a corner on, dent a panel when the backing plate comes off, etc !!! It took me a while to get it down pat and now I know how to work the machine to the least and best of its abilities. A lot of technique envolved, knowing how to "feel" the paint when it's right, knowing the hardness of the clearcoat so you know which pads to use (micro fiber or foam), which product will work best for the vehicle, etc. I have 2 porter cable machines now, one for 4 inch pads and one for 7 inch pads so I do not have to change backing plates all the time. BUT, I do different cars all the time so I need many different things for many different cars, meaning to go out and spend lots of money to buy all the things you need to do a paint correction on your car (machine, different pads, different backing plates, produts used exclusivly for machine polishing, microfiber towels, on and on) does not make much sense, when you could give it to me one time to get it perfect and then let YOU maintain it from there to keep it perfect. You should need to do only one machine paint correction on your car per year,if that, and proper techinques and good products are a must from there. It all starts from the wash soap you use,( store bought soap is not PH balanced so it strips your wax off your car every time you use it) to the wash mit you use, to drying off your car and what you use to dry it off with. Eveyone one has different expectations for how they want their car to look, I like perfection, and I carry that over into the detail work I do on peoples vehicles. It takes a lot of trust to give your "baby" (no pun intended) to someone, but when you pick your car up from me it WILL be done right and you WILL get an education from me as well as to how to keep it that way. Ask the people on the forum whos car s I've done and I am guessing they will all tell you "I have never seen my car look like this !!". Pics I post of before and after details are acurate, but they look much better in person !!:o

SVT10th
05-22-2014, 03:02 PM
+1 on the don't start with the Cobra.

f you're gonna do it, start with your DD or the wife-mobile...
But using a R/O isn't hard. I've been doing it for years. After you've watched a few videos and done a couple of panels, you'll be much more confident.

But letting Jimmy do it once isn't a bad idea -- its a lot easier to learn when you're maintaining, than doing a full correction.

TorchredSVT
05-22-2014, 04:37 PM
I honestly haven't washed the car with soap and water in probably 3 years, just been maintaining with quick detail. I only clay specific spots on the car that need it.

valid point about Jimmy doing the correction, it does make sense and I would have no problem with that.......BUT, I still want to learn how to be able to do this on my own.

I need to think about this

390gtconv
05-22-2014, 06:50 PM
Few years ago prez Rick set up a "tech session" for the club @ Prestige's auto body shop with one of Dave's detailers. About 8 of us there to watch & learn do's & don'ts. Maybe something like that could be done again???

Dennis O'Shea
05-22-2014, 07:15 PM
Have a Saturday Morning Detail clinic And have Jimmy, show who attends some pointer's.It will be good for all that go and Jimmy could offer some of the products he uses for sale I would be glad to offer my Garage there's plenty of room and it has ample lighting.Maybe Ian would volunteer his car the test car. You could do it as a Saturday morning Car's and coffee I would gladly supply the Donuts Might be fun.

LILBLKSNAKE
05-22-2014, 07:25 PM
If Jimmy wants to teach Ian how to use a porter cable, he can learn on Kelly's car before I take it in to fix it for the hit-and-run incident

ToplessPony94
05-22-2014, 08:40 PM
Few years ago prez Rick set up a "tech session" for the club @ Prestige's auto body shop with one of Dave's detailers. About 8 of us there to watch & learn do's & don'ts. Maybe something like that could be done again???

That must have been a while ago. To the best of my knowledge there hasn't been a tech session since I joined the club. Some were scheduled but I'm not aware of any that actually happened.

390gtconv
05-22-2014, 08:58 PM
That must have been a while ago. To the best of my knowledge there hasn't been a tech session since I joined the club. Some were scheduled but I'm not aware of any that actually happened.
I went to a few mechanical sessions. The detailing one @ Prestige was right after a pizza meeting I think.
One mech one @ Rick's current place, another one at a business, not sure where.

TorchredSVT
05-23-2014, 09:00 AM
Have a Saturday Morning Detail clinic And have Jimmy, show who attends some pointer's.It will be good for all that go and Jimmy could offer some of the products he uses for sale I would be glad to offer my Garage there's plenty of room and it has ample lighting.Maybe Ian would volunteer his car the test car. You could do it as a Saturday morning Car's and coffee I would gladly supply the Donuts Might be fun.

Good idea, be happy to volunteer my car :)

and LOL Ed

Dennis O'Shea
05-23-2014, 11:11 AM
Bruce it's really OK it just the beginning of the Alzheimer's. Take a deep breath and close your eyes and say there' no place like home.and everything will be OK :D