PDA

View Full Version : Passing of a legend

Dennis O'Shea
05-19-2014, 06:29 AM
The Formula One family lost a great one today Sir Jack Brabham passed away He was the three time F-1 champlon Back in the day when there was little or no regard for safety in the car.Or for the spectators He was 88 years old:(

ToplessPony94
05-19-2014, 09:42 AM
Farewell, Sir Jack! Back in the day I remember meeting him at Watkins Glen and he was just like a regular guy. (So was Graham Hill who kindly autographed my copy of his autobiography, "Life at the Limit".)

The next year a group of us were out on the track at Mosport in Ontario just after the Grand Prix was over. For some reason Jack had taken an extra cool-down lap and he came up behind us slowly. We moved aside so he could pass, but he stopped and greeted several of us by first name. He had actually remembered us from Watkins Glen the year before. Amazing!

The drivers back then were celebrities, but they were also regular people (most of them) and they walked around and mingled with the infield spectators without any bodyguards or security. They were true men and champions but they also had humility. I miss those days of Formula One. I miss Jack and the rest of them. Rest in Peace!

fredfordguy
05-19-2014, 07:32 PM
Farewell, Sir Jack! Back in the day I remember meeting him at Watkins Glen and he was just like a regular guy. (So was Graham Hill who kindly autographed my copy of his autobiography, "Life at the Limit".)

The next year a group of us were out on the track at Mosport in Ontario just after the Grand Prix was over. For some reason Jack had taken an extra cool-down lap and he came up behind us slowly. We moved aside so he could pass, but he stopped and greeted several of us by first name. He had actually remembered us from Watkins Glen the year before. Amazing!

The drivers back then were celebrities, but they were also regular people (most of them) and they walked around and mingled with the infield spectators without any bodyguards or security. They were true men and champions but they also had humility. I miss those days of Formula One. I miss Jack and the rest of them. Rest in Peace!
Very cool memory Bruce, thanks for sharing.....