PDA

View Full Version : New stopping power

07 stang gt
05-01-2014, 06:37 AM
Installed some new slotted/drilled rotors and pads on my 07 yesterday. Have not driven on them yet with the weather, but they look real cool !! Bought them from Summit Racing, Power Stop Extremes. Pics attached.2135213621372138

390gtconv
05-01-2014, 09:27 AM
Does look nice. Are you gonna road coarse or race car?
Reason I ask is experts will say if just daily driving and want better "stopping power" increase rotor surface, ie larger disk. Makes sense. Now if you start to slot and drill rotor and take material away, you start to take away some of that advantage of a larger surface. If you did lots of quick stopping and racing heat builds up, then you do want to vent off heat by slots and holes.

But going for the "nice look" is ok too.

07 stang gt
05-01-2014, 09:34 AM
No road racing for me.I had a warped front rotor and it gave me an excuse to replace all four !!Been wanting to do it for a while since I,m at that "not much more I can do next" stage. More for the street and the looks really.

ToplessPony94
05-01-2014, 10:47 AM
No road racing for me.I had a warped front rotor and it gave me an excuse to replace all four !!Been wanting to do it for a while since I,m at that "not much more I can do next" stage. More for the street and the looks really.

Power Stop = Good Stuff!

I've had their cross-drilled rotors on my car for 15-16 years and never a spot of rust. They work great, too.

From what I have read from the "experts" (many places) drilling OR slotting is a good thing ans it gives the brake dust somewhere to go so it doesn't build up between the pad and rotor on aggressive stopping. Either one will do the same thing. Most seem to agree that one OR the other is better, as either one has minor disadvantages as well and by doing both you get both sets of disadvantages.

390gtconv
05-01-2014, 11:41 AM
Power Stop = Good Stuff!

I've had their cross-drilled rotors on my car for 15-16 years and never a spot of rust. They work great, too.

From what I have read from the "experts" (many places) drilling OR slotting is a good thing ans it gives the brake dust somewhere to go so it doesn't build up between the pad and rotor on aggressive stopping. Either one will do the same thing. Most seem to agree that one OR the other is better, as either one has minor disadvantages as well and by doing both you get both sets of disadvantages.

Also if you want to cut down on brake dust, use ceramic pads. They don't generate as much or very little dust. Most of use don't drive our "special cars" often enough for dust to be an issue.

TorchredSVT
05-02-2014, 08:38 AM
Looks good Jimmy

You should think about ditching those caliper covers and have your calipers professional powder coated......I think that would be a great look

ToplessPony94
05-02-2014, 10:47 AM
Looks good Jimmy

You should think about ditching those caliper covers and have your calipers professional powder coated......I think that would be a great look

I have to agree with Ian here, though I admit I have a prejudice against caliper covers - they just look so obviously fake.

SVT10th
05-03-2014, 03:25 PM
I believe Rick's brother, Brian, does powder coating. I think he did the valve covers for Rick's car and a few others.

07 stang gt
05-04-2014, 11:07 AM
Thanks but I like the way it is

chachee52
05-04-2014, 04:37 PM
I actually like the red with his car color. Gives it a little "look at these" with the blue car.

ToplessPony94
05-04-2014, 08:42 PM
Thanks but I like the way it is

...Which is the most important thing of all, Jimmy! :cool:

Jibber
05-05-2014, 05:08 PM
Looks good Jimmy.

ALthough, I think I did see a speck of brake dust on your rims. Unacceptable. LOL.

07 stang gt
05-05-2014, 08:48 PM
The dust must have been on your lens !! LOL