PDA

View Full Version : 5 Guys

chachee52
04-14-2014, 01:56 PM
Ok, so we don't hijack another thread:

5 Guys, this is my take of why I don't like the hamburgers:
1) The hamburgers (the actual meat) is tasteless. There is no flavor at all in it.
2) The burgers are paper thin.
3) yes you can get as many toppings as you want, but lasst time I went I got a burger, drink, and fries and it cost me over $13. For $10 I can go to Buckley's in Merrimack and get a hand carved/ground 1/2 lb bacon burger and fries. And have a bar that i can pick my whiskey from.

I don't mind it being greasy, but it needs to have flavor. I'm not paying all the money to put toppings on the burger. Lettuce, pickles, onions, BBQ sauce, etc are all fairly cheap.

I have asked this question to many people and have never gotten them to answer it. Can you honestly say that the BURGER (the meat) is really good?

Again, I put a new thread because we are supposed to be not hijacking threads.

390gtconv
04-14-2014, 01:57 PM
I do LOVE the peanuts.....

TorchredSVT
04-14-2014, 02:12 PM
While it's not the thickest burger out there...it does have good flavor. That flavor 100% comes from the peanut oil used to cook it in
It's really the only burger I get cravings for, mostly becuase of the distinct taste.

I am not saying it's the best burger, there's plenty of other places you can go for a bigger burger for sure.

ToplessPony94
04-14-2014, 02:33 PM
Ian, you seriously need to try the stuffed angus burger I make at home on the grill (not in oil), given what you just posted. Very distinct taste and delicious and very little fat. The "stuffing" inside the burger consists of sautéed onions, horseradish sauce and either sharp cheddar or gorgonzola. Add whatever toppings you like. :)

SVT10th
04-14-2014, 04:03 PM
I grind my own ground beef using whole steak/roasts. (No, I'm not you telling the ratio -- but it's 3 different kinds of beef.) And it is delicious. (I've had the great burgers from Buckleys that Todd's talking about and I'll put mine against theirs any day.)

But I like 5 Guys. It's got good flavor, is loosely-packed and is plump, tender and juicy. I tend to get them with just a few toppings.

Now I will admit, that the quality varies store to store and day to day -- these ain't factory-built McDonalds burgers -- for instance, usually the Manchester store is better than the Derry store.

Is Five Guys as good as homemade or gourmet "burgers" done by someone who knows what they're doing? No. It is better than the vast majority of restaurant burgers? Yes.

Note:
Todd, if you "spent over $13" there you over-ordered (like a lot of 1st time patrons). You learn that their "regular" is huge and their "small" fry is a whopping huge amount. It should come out around $10 for a regular burger, small fry and a drink -- which is right in line with other better-than-fast food burger prices.

Dennis O'Shea
04-14-2014, 04:10 PM
:pI Like Hot Dogs:p

whtmare
04-14-2014, 04:30 PM
I like 5 guys its super pricey any way you look at it. But when I get a hankering I could give a shit about the price. And all you can eat peanuts!!!

LILBLKSNAKE
04-14-2014, 06:02 PM
didn't they used to have a cruise night at Fuddruckers???????

ToplessPony94
04-14-2014, 06:26 PM
didn't they used to have a cruise night at Fuddruckers???????

ECCC had one.

390gtconv
04-14-2014, 06:37 PM
Ian, you seriously need to try the stuffed angus burger I make at home on the grill (not in oil), given what you just posted. Very distinct taste and delicious and very little fat. The "stuffing" inside the burger consists of sautéed onions, horseradish sauce and either sharp cheddar or gorgonzola. Add whatever toppings you like. :)

Bruce for that matter, ever try a BUFFALO burger? Way better than hambugers.

chachee52
04-14-2014, 08:49 PM
I am not comparing restaurant to homemade burgers. You just can't do that.
Jim, I did get the small fry and I believe the double burger and a drink. It was the Nashua store that I went to. I just figured that all the meat would be the same, but I guess I might be wrong. Because the burgers that I had left me not remembering them at all.
Fuddruckers IMO has a much better burger, and I think that it's a buck or two a little cheaper. For that matter, WayBack burgers were a little better than 5 guys. I did love the fries at 5 Guys, but it wasn't worth it for the burger. Give me a Wendy's burger any day. I just don't get it?

ToplessPony94
04-14-2014, 09:01 PM
Bruce for that matter, ever try a BUFFALO burger? Way better than hambugers.

I used to live right down the road from a place in Mont Vernon that raised Bison! :)

390gtconv
04-14-2014, 11:31 PM
I used to live right down the road from a place in Mont Vernon that raised Bison! :)

BUT... ever them 'em?

ToplessPony94
04-14-2014, 11:36 PM
BUT... ever them 'em?

Err... if I understand that, yes. "Interesting."

Dennis O'Shea
04-15-2014, 06:57 AM
"I Like Hot Dogs"

Dennis O'Shea
04-15-2014, 07:16 AM
You'll pay more for that Hamburger Beef prices have reached the highest price since 1987 The weather this year took a terrible toll on the beef herds.Its supply and demand And here's one in America for the first time the consumption of Chicken has over taken Beef. The Rancher's are exporting more Beef out of the country than that is staying in the good Old USA,And the average cost of Choice Beef is 5.48 a pound.Thats why I like HOT DOGS YUM and yes they taste better at Fenway Park and yes you pay twice as much for them there but who cares

Bob Comire
04-15-2014, 07:54 AM
I used to live right down the road from a place in Mont Vernon that raised Bison! :) Gervais, on the Turnpike?

TorchredSVT
04-15-2014, 08:53 AM
Todd.....5 guys is one of the most recognized awarded burger brands/chains in the US. We aren't all wrong :)

and this summer, I am buying one of these: http://www.buystufz.com/

and LOL at the price argument. Been to Wendy's lately? a double cheese burger meal is almost $10 now.

Jibber
04-15-2014, 10:29 AM
I like 5 guys. Fills me up more so than other burgers that i've had and tastes great.

Just to clarify.....Mr. Oshea likes the "raste" of Fenway Franks.

ToplessPony94
04-15-2014, 11:11 AM
Gervais, on the Turnpike?

Don't remember the name (20 years ago) but it was on the Turnpike.

Jibber
04-15-2014, 04:13 PM
Then Mr. Oshea tries to hide is mistake by editing the post. Brilliant.

ToplessPony94
04-15-2014, 04:51 PM
Then Mr. Oshea tries to hide is mistake by editing the post. Brilliant.

Yeah! He's the guy that should retire! Oh, wait....

Dennis O'Shea
04-15-2014, 05:24 PM
Maybe its time for you too:D Oh wait it may be past time
Yeah! He's the guy that should retire! Oh, wait....

chachee52
04-15-2014, 08:00 PM
Todd.....5 guys is one of the most recognized awarded burger brands/chains in the US. We aren't all wrong :)

and this summer, I am buying one of these: http://www.buystufz.com/

and LOL at the price argument. Been to Wendy's lately? a double cheese burger meal is almost $10 now.

Maybe I have to try it again? The burger itself was just not memorable. I do remember the first time I ever had a Fuddruckers Burger. I was down in Houston and it was amazing. I'm not saying that it is THAT amazing now, but I've had one recently and can say that I remember it. Everyone that I have talked to about this keeps bringing up the topping and that's why they LOVE 5 Guys. But when I ask them to tell me about the actual burger, they can't. I honestly just don't know the answer?
I've been to Wendy's and have never paid more than $9 for a combo, and I get Frostys or nuggets too.

chachee52
03-19-2015, 08:40 PM
K, seeing that I'm now working right next to the Derry Five Guys I decided to check it out tonight. Seeing that a majority of you guys said that's the one that does it best.
I stand by all my previous opinions now. The burger meat was flavorless. The fries are still good, but for a burger and small fries, no drink, $10 is too much for flavorless burgers. I will say the bacon was good too, nice and crisp. That was to only good tasting part of the burger.
But I did give them another chance and still don't like the burgers.

390gtconv
03-19-2015, 10:48 PM
Second thought first, I've eaten there a few times and liked it. But then again I have low food standards as I don't like steak or beef jerky. The 5 Guys Chain has been repeatedly been on the list as one of the "better" burger joins. So others agree. I wouldn't say best burger I ever eat, but ok. Don't know what else to say.

Now my 1st thought second. Lets do a club luncheon there (instead of a breakfast) and several opinions. Heck I like it for the peanuts.

Bob Comire
03-20-2015, 07:10 AM
Lets do a club luncheon there . . . Great idea, I'm in.

chachee52
03-20-2015, 07:45 AM
Second thought first, I've eaten there a few times and liked it. But then again I have low food standards as I don't like steak or beef jerky. The 5 Guys Chain has been repeatedly been on the list as one of the "better" burger joins. So others agree. I wouldn't say best burger I ever eat, but ok. Don't know what else to say.

Now my 1st thought second. Lets do a club luncheon there (instead of a breakfast) and several opinions. Heck I like it for the peanuts.

Yup and dominos is number 2 on the best pizza chain and I don't like them either. I' ll eat it but I can't say that its good pizza. And have you seen the Top 10 song list?? So just because its on some top whatever list doesn't mean its good.
And like I said, its my opinion and I did try it multiple times at different locations. I like a lot of places that others don't like. This is just not one that I do.

SVT10th
03-20-2015, 08:03 AM
Hey, I'll give props to Todd for giving it another try. He's still wrong of course :)

I don't get the flavorless part though -- the rare times I go there, I get it with fairly minimal toppings and it's a nice beefy flavor. It ain't no burger from Buckley's, but it's good.

The other thing is that "best burger" list is all fast food chains -- of course places like 5 Guys and In-and-Out are going to rise to the top compared to McDs, BK, Wendy's, etc. But if
If you look at, say, the Hippo's Best of NH list for best burger, 5 Guys doesn't even place because it's up against real restaurants.
Best Burgers
Best of the Best: The Barley House, 132 N. Main St., Concord, 228-6363, thebarleyhouse.com
Best of Concord: Downtown Cheers Grille & Bar, 17 Depot St., Concord, 228-0180, cheersnh.com
Best of Manchester: New England’s Tap House Grille, 1292 Hooksett Road, Hooksett, 782-5137, taphousenh.com
Best of Nashua: Buckley’s Great Steaks, 438 DW Highway, Merrimack, 424-0995, buckleysgreatsteaks.com

TorchredSVT
03-20-2015, 08:47 AM
flavorless? i think you need to get your tongue checked

chachee52
03-20-2015, 09:43 AM
flavorless? i think you need to get your tongue checked

I guess I do because the meat itself was just bland. That's all I got to say about it.

390gtconv
03-20-2015, 09:46 AM
Maybe have it wrapped in bacon?

Me, I like my burgers (meats) cooked well so that kills some of the juicey enjoyment many like. I don't want my food to move on my plate. lol

So guess we need to do a group visit!!!!!

ToplessPony94
03-20-2015, 10:34 AM
Yup and dominos is number 2 on the best pizza chain and I don't like them either.

IMHO, Domino's franchises vary greatly. Haven't had Domino's in a bout 15 years, but back then Nashua location was just awful, but the Hudson location was pretty good.

So guess we need to do a group visit!!!!!

I'll pass. Grease isn't on my diet these days.

390gtconv
03-21-2015, 07:29 AM
Now T Bones which is right down the street from 5 Guys in Derry has on their sign out front "Awarded Best Burger for Ten Years". Not sure by whom. My wife and I do go to T Bones often on Fri and burger is good.

chachee52
03-21-2015, 07:34 AM
Now T Bones which is right down the street from 5 Guys in Derry has on their sign out front "Awarded Best Burger for Ten Years". Not sure buy whom. My wife and I do go to T Bones often on Fri and burger is good.
I agree, good burger, not unbelievable but good.

07 stang gt
03-22-2015, 03:02 PM
Tuckaway Tavern in Raymond has the BEST burgers (and food in general) I've had in a long time. They have this burger called the "two pigs and a cow", angus beef,pulled pork,bacon and cheddar cheese,under $10 bucks, WOW !!

SVT10th
03-22-2015, 09:40 PM
Now T Bones which is right down the street from 5 Guys in Derry has on their sign out front "Awarded Best Burger for Ten Years". Not sure by whom. My wife and I do go to T Bones often on Fri and burger is good.

"Awarded Best Burger By Six People Who Went To TBones once in 1995"

390gtconv
03-22-2015, 09:43 PM
I really like buffalo burgers best.

TorchredSVT
03-23-2015, 08:43 AM
Owen and ollies in Dracut has an excellent burger as well, one of the best around

chachee52
03-23-2015, 10:26 AM
Owen and ollies in Dracut has an excellent burger as well, one of the best around

Wow, my taste buds can't be that bad if I agree with that and go there regularly for their burger. I don't know about the "best" around, but really good. I guess it depends on definition of "around" is.

TorchredSVT
03-23-2015, 03:58 PM
I think you just like to argue about everything, but that's ok....that's what the internet is for :)

I can't think of anyone who makes a better burger off the top of my head
Who are some of your suggestions? Always looking for new places.

Jibber
03-23-2015, 04:54 PM
I think you just like to argue about everything, but that's ok....that's what the internet is for :)

I love your insight!

SVT10th
03-23-2015, 04:56 PM
Buckley's Great Steaks, Merrimack NH
The Loft, North Andover, MA

I haven't been to the place in Dracut, so I can't say if these are better or not, but they're damned good.

ToplessPony94
03-23-2015, 06:04 PM
Actually, I'd give a thumbs down for Buckley's. We went there for a celebration dinner and were totally disappointed. Had to send my wife's steak back twice to get them to actually try to cook it rather than just pass it through a warm room. (She ordered it medium well.) Third time they brought it to the table it was still mostly very rare but we just gave up. She ate a little of it and didn't bother to bring the rest home. Can't say about the burgers - we didn't order that - but we won't be going back. Their kind of prices for an inedible steak is something you don't risk twice.

chachee52
03-23-2015, 09:05 PM

I can't think of anyone who makes a better burger off the top of my head
Who are some of your suggestions? Always looking for new places.

Don't know who this was too, I agreed with you!
But Jim's list is correct. Those burgers are better that O&O (I'm not saying that O&O is bad, they are really good!!). Also there are a couple places in Milford, but I won't get into those because they aren't "in the area". Burton's makes a really good burger as well.
But if you're ever in the Gilford area, Elecoya Barn & Grill has AMAZING burgers. I'd even put them past Buckley's, and I swear by Buckley's.

SVT10th
03-24-2015, 08:15 AM
Actually, I'd give a thumbs down for Buckley's. We went there for a celebration dinner and were totally disappointed. Had to send my wife's steak back twice to get them to actually try to cook it rather than just pass it through a warm room. (She ordered it medium well.) Third time they brought it to the table it was still mostly very rare but we just gave up. She ate a little of it and didn't bother to bring the rest home. Can't say about the burgers - we didn't order that - but we won't be going back. Their kind of prices for an inedible steak is something you don't risk twice.

Wow. That's very surprising. I've been there dozens of times and while once or twice they have not been quite up their highest level (everyone has bad nights) it is always good.
Did you complain to the manager? I would almost guarantee that they would have at least comped the meal, if not also given you a gift certificate to come back. When you're spending that kind of money, you're right, it should be made right immediately with no fuss.
The Michael Timothy Dining group is one of the most respected in the area for a reason.

TorchredSVT
03-24-2015, 08:38 AM
the loft is good, haven't been there in years

never heard of the place in merrimack, i'll check it out

ToplessPony94
03-24-2015, 10:45 AM
Wow. That's very surprising. I've been there dozens of times and while once or twice they have not been quite up their highest level (everyone has bad nights) it is always good.
Did you complain to the manager? I would almost guarantee that they would have at least comped the meal, if not also given you a gift certificate to come back. When you're spending that kind of money, you're right, it should be made right immediately with no fuss.
The Michael Timothy Dining group is one of the most respected in the area for a reason.

They gave us free dessert - that's it! I agree; it was very surprising to me, too. We have been to Michael Timothy's in Nashua many times and always had a great experience. But we will not return to Buckley's.

paulg
03-24-2015, 07:06 PM
for the $$$ it's not worth it... I also went on-line and looked at the fat content in the double cheese burger and nearly had a heart attack just reading the stats...

chachee52
03-24-2015, 08:20 PM
So lets keep apples to apples. Some burgers of the same type of restaurants: Fuddruckers I've always liked a lot. Don't to go there much, but always enjoyed their burger, and YOU get to put on all the toppings for those that want the toppings. Also in Salem, WayBack Burgers is the same type of burger, greasy and fatty and I would say that they are a little better than 5 Guys.
But Fuddruckers is a good bruger, don't know the prices recently, I haven't been in about a year so I can't say they are even a better value never mind taste a lot better. Again, my opinions.

whtmare
03-24-2015, 09:36 PM
End thread lol. Todd we just go to goodie Coles ribs/brisket FTW lol

chachee52
03-25-2015, 07:42 AM

mmmmmmmm, I bet they make UNBELIEVABLE burgers. Not sure if they do, but if they did :D

TorchredSVT
03-25-2015, 08:29 AM

What is this place you speak of, i am always on the hunt for good BBQ

Fuddruckers..i havne't been there in probably 5 years. I'll have to go check it out again.

SVT10th
03-25-2015, 11:43 AM
Try KCs Rib Shack in Manchester. Consistently at the top of the surveys every year. I've been going there since they were a tiny little take-out stand in Litchfield back in the 90s.

chachee52
03-25-2015, 11:47 AM
hey hey hey THIS IS ABOUT BURGERS, NOT BBQ!!!!!! geeeeeeeesssssssshhhhhhh

Bob Comire
03-25-2015, 04:20 PM
http://www.wildwillysburgers.com/territories.cfm Here's a good spot to cruise too. Greatest burgers.

ToplessPony94
03-25-2015, 05:52 PM
http://www.wildwillysburgers.com/territories.cfm Here's a good spot to cruise too. Greatest burgers.

It would be a great weekend day cruise to the one in York, ME! I've driven by it a hundred times but never stopped.

whtmare
03-25-2015, 07:16 PM
What is this place you speak of, i am always on the hunt for good BBQ

Fuddruckers..i havne't been there in probably 5 years. I'll have to go check it out again.

Some awesome bbq at goodie Coles Ian,not much of an atmosphere its a "real"grubby down and dirty smokehouse it's amazing bbq...as far as kc rib shack goes in my book it's just ok.....hell I'd take Yankee smokehouse in ossipe over kcs

TorchredSVT
03-26-2015, 08:39 AM
When it comes to burgers, I am also spoiled as I was born and grew up eating from where the burger was invented http://www.louislunch.com/history.php If you ever go there, my name is carved in several spots on the wall hahaha, it's a right of passage

Been to the Worcester location a few times, they are pretty good there

SVT10th
03-26-2015, 09:26 AM
Ok, if the thread is changing to Barbecue, then this place has awesome Q... It's called My House!

That was from my daughter's Graduation party last year. About 10lbs of Brisket, 3 racks of Pork Ribs and 4 lbs of sausage. Had the brisket in the smoker at 5:30am.