PDA

View Full Version : door alignment?

SVT10th
04-10-2014, 08:41 AM
Who can tell me about doors?

My 5.0 drivers door doesn't seem to be latching right. When its closed and latched I can push it closed more, and when I'm driving it, it "thunks" against the striker and I can feel it moving in and out a bit -- maybe a 1/4 inch or so.
Is that a simple adjustment? Never worked on a door so I have no idea.

390gtconv
04-10-2014, 09:29 AM
Who can tell me about doors?

My 5.0 drivers door doesn't seem to be latching right. When its closed and latched I can push it closed more, and when I'm driving it, it "thunks" against the striker and I can feel it moving in and out a bit -- maybe a 1/4 inch or so.
Is that a simple adjustment? Never worked on a door so I have no idea.

The "striker" mounted on the body by a larger torques head bolt, maybe 45mm can be unscrewed and repositioned a bit. That may do the trick.

ToplessPony94
04-10-2014, 11:29 AM
The "striker" mounted on the body by a larger torques head bolt, maybe 45mm can be unscrewed and repositioned a bit. That may do the trick.

Yeah, as I recall this is either a T-45 or T-50. Jim, if you don't have one you can drop by on the weekend and use mine.

07GTCS
04-10-2014, 11:43 AM
Jim have you checked for wear in the hinges? Open the door all the way and gently lift up on the door. There should be little to no movement in the hinges.

390gtconv
04-10-2014, 12:23 PM
Jim have you checked for wear in the hinges? Open the door all the way and gently lift up on the door. There should be little to no movement in the hinges.

Re-reading his post .. "When its closed and latched I can push it closed more," tells me NOT hinge issue as he can move door when closed. That's a latch/striker issue. Sometimes door weather stripping wears down/out and door moves, or was never set right to begin with.