PDA

View Full Version : Awakende from slumber

SVT10th
04-05-2014, 01:49 PM
So we should have a running thread with when everyone gets their ponies out of their hibernation.

I'll go:

Today 4/5/14 -- opened the Cobra den and carefully woke her up. Checked fluid and tire pressure, let her warm up for 10 minutes or so. Then took her out for a short shake down. Everything seems good. Starting 2014 mileage is 19,555.
It was AWESOME to hear the sound of a good v8 again. And experience the whiiiiiiiinne....

Probably clean her up and go for a more extensive drive tomorrow.

ToplessPony94
04-05-2014, 02:15 PM
Mine is scheduled to come off the jack stands tomorrow - 4/6/14 - and stretch her legs a little, but mostly I'll be looking for a sandy parking lot to use for some aggressive stopping to adjust the new Wilwood proportioning valve. This was originally scheduled to happen today, but tomorrow is supposed to be more sunny so I decided to wait.

chachee52
04-05-2014, 02:59 PM
Already had mine running and driving as people know. I think the official date for the real drive was 3/27. But had it drive for about 1 mile the week before that.
It does sound great to hear the engine again, and felt great to just sit back and chill in the drivers seat and cruise (even if it was in Boston). I must say that the old seat is very comfy compared to the current seats in car.
Can't wait to be driving it a little more.
I didn't look at the mileage yet, I usually do but there was honestly just too much going on the last few weeks with the car I just didn't do it.

Dennis O'Shea
04-05-2014, 03:25 PM
4/12/14 Yes Kevin Houle and myself will be taking the cover off in Ohio.And then its back to N.h. can't wait Then its in the garage and under the cover:D

390gtconv
04-05-2014, 07:10 PM
Already had mine running and driving as people know. I think the official date for the real drive was 3/27. But had it drive for about 1 mile the week before that.
It does sound great to hear the engine again, and felt great to just sit back and chill in the drivers seat and cruise (even if it was in Boston). I must say that the old seat is very comfy compared to the current seats in car.
Can't wait to be driving it a little more.
I didn't look at the mileage yet, I usually do but there was honestly just too much going on the last few weeks with the car I just didn't do it.

Thought your plan after WOW's was to rip engine out for rebuild and fix heat?
What's new plan?

390gtconv
04-05-2014, 07:15 PM
Gotta wait one more week as all ground dry's out so I can get car out of trailer. I need to make some minor chages and hook my e-brake cables back up. THEN spring time oil change is a MUST. Don't like to run it other than 1st startup before I change oil. My engine way to exspensive. Gotta clean it for ED day. Sat for almost a year.

chachee52
04-05-2014, 08:40 PM
Thought your plan after WOW's was to rip engine out for rebuild and fix heat?
What's new plan?

Still the plan, heat again is on the bottom of the list. Still don't know why I need it?
Don't have time frames set yet.

390gtconv
04-06-2014, 07:28 AM
Still the plan, heat again is on the bottom of the list. Still don't know why I need it?
Don't have time frames set yet.

Just thinking you don't wanna miss the entire top down cruzing season. Heat issue would be fixed as part of engine rebuild. Needed for those frosty December evenings you like to drive in to get frost off windshield.

07 stang gt
04-06-2014, 08:11 AM
My pony's first ride was on Wed. Had to get her out, new MSD ignition coils seem to be the fix. Will get her out again SOON. Detailing is picking up so I gotta do what I gotta do first, then........

whtmare
04-06-2014, 09:48 AM
Just back in first quick run of the year filled her up. Man I missed that car! Starting the season with 21,303 looking forward to putting on some miles with my mustang bros

ToplessPony94
04-06-2014, 05:08 PM
OK, the Stealth Fighter was out for a bit today. We took it out and tried to adjust the proportioning valve. During the testing the union we put in the front line from the master cylinder developed a leak so we had to knock off for the day, but the brakes felt good, the EGR seems to be working correctly (though a tune is needed) as the light bar looks nice (IMHO!). The car turned over 99K miles during the testing.

So, I'd say bringing the car to ED Day is questionable for me at this time, but things are moving along and there is more in the way of progress than setbacks - it's just a matter of hours and luck at this point.

Here's a few pics I took with Jay at the wheel while we were setting the clutch prior to brake adjustment:

SVT10th
04-06-2014, 05:10 PM
Drove BOTH Mustangs today. Cobra to Todd's and back and GT to Nashua for an oil change. Felt good -- what an awesome day too! Spring is finally here!

chachee52
04-06-2014, 07:51 PM
After Jim left, I took my car up to Rick's to drove some of the WOW stuff off. Top down driving!!
I'd say I started the season with 120,500 miles (before I took it to Boston)
It was great to drive in Jim's GT with the top down that I just had to take mine out too.

TorchredSVT
04-07-2014, 08:46 AM
still haven't started mine yet....lol. Hopefully this weekend.

Jays66gt
04-08-2014, 07:10 AM
Will be this Sunday. April 13, 2014. Battery is on the trickle charger. Should be a quick check of the fluids and off we go...

Jibber
04-08-2014, 08:12 AM
Only Started mine to pull out of garage to take pictures for Hagerty Insurance policy. My plan is not to drive it until the Calisle event in June.

TorchredSVT
04-08-2014, 08:49 AM
wow, even I plan to drive mine before that!!

390gtconv
04-08-2014, 09:45 AM
Only Started mine to pull out of garage to take pictures for Hagerty Insurance policy. My plan is not to drive it until the Calisle event in June.

Why, you should do little driving, get oil changed, see if any squeaks/issues, and burn off old gas in it.

MY-S281
04-08-2014, 11:15 AM
Ive had the Saleen out and about a couple of times since last week , burning off the old gas , and burning off old tires !! :-)'

ToplessPony94
04-08-2014, 11:25 AM
Alas, Jegs lied to me about the delivery date for my new radiator, so it's unlikely mine will be out much until after ED Day. For the first time, it looks like I'll be showing up for ED Day in the Prius instead of my Stang. :mad:

390gtconv
04-08-2014, 12:58 PM
Alas, Jegs lied to me about the delivery date for my new radiator, so it's unlikely mine will be out much until after ED Day. For the first time, it looks like I'll be showing up for ED Day in the Prius instead of my Stang. :mad:

More than a week away, parts coming from Europe? Keep hoping.
Heck I got Ed's ABS sensor I bought on Ebay from Puerto Rico in 4 days.

ToplessPony94
04-08-2014, 01:23 PM
They said it would be custom made at BeCool and drop shipped. Instead it was shipped to Jegs, then they will ship it to me. Won't arrive until after the coming weekend. I won't have time to install it during next week before ED Day, since I don't get home from work until 7:30-8PM.

390gtconv
04-08-2014, 01:40 PM
They said it would be custom made at BeCool and drop shipped. Instead it was shipped to Jegs, then they will ship it to me. Won't arrive until after the coming weekend. I won't have time to install it during next week before ED Day, since I don't get home from work until 7:30-8PM.

IF that's all you need to do is get radiator in, have everything else done on car, and depending on what day it comes, I can help you drop it in. Shouldn't be more than couple hrs. fairly easy.

ToplessPony94
04-08-2014, 02:18 PM
IF that's all you need to do is get radiator in, have everything else done on car, and depending on what day it comes, I can help you drop it in. Shouldn't be more than couple hrs. fairly easy.

Thanks George, and yes there are other things. Brake line leak down near headers (equal length shorty "spaghetti" headers) needs to be tightened and I don't have tools to do it, so I will have to get that done. Will probably need two crowfoot flare wrenches. (Originally put it together before all the other junk was re-installed down there. NOT taking the master cylinder back out!) Also need to get clutch adjusted on dyno, water pump gasket leak fixed and new EGR valve pressure smoke tested because after-market valve is not quite the same as OEM and may not be buttoned down solidly. ED Day is looking like a long shot to me at this point.

390gtconv
04-08-2014, 06:32 PM
Well as you may know I do have most all flare nut wrenches SAE & metric if need be.

Jibber
04-08-2014, 08:15 PM
wow, even I plan to drive mine before that!!

Haha. Now I know how you felt a year or so ago. Lost a little bit of the passion.

ToplessPony94
04-08-2014, 09:32 PM
Well as you may know I do have most all flare nut wrenches SAE & metric if need be.

George, I'd love to take you up on it. Do you have crowfoot flare wrenches? I have regular ones SAE & metric, but all are too long to be able to do the job. There fittings are all metric.

390gtconv
04-08-2014, 11:49 PM
George, I'd love to take you up on it. Do you have crowfoot flare wrenches? I have regular ones SAE & metric, but all are too long to be able to do the job. There fittings are all metric.

Yes have 8mm/10mm, 11/12mm, these are flare nut wrenches. I've done tons of brake jobs & tools to make & bend brake lines.

ToplessPony94
04-09-2014, 12:15 AM
Yes have 8mm/10mm, 11/12mm, these are flare nut wrenches. I've done tons of brake jobs & tools to make & bend brake lines.

OK, I have regular flare wrenches, too, but it will be tough at best to do it without crowfoot flare wrenches. I just ordered a set - they should be here Thursday or Friday. (http://www.amazon.com/Sunex-9710M-8-Inch-Crowfoot-10-Piece/dp/B0002SRJF4)

The car will be at Meineke on Friday and a Granite State on Monday. Want to shoot for over the weekend? Sunday would work for me anytime, or between 11 and 2:30 on Saturday. Let me know what works. It's barely possible that the radiator will be here by the weekend, too.

390gtconv
04-09-2014, 01:27 AM
Your still up after midnight, you should be working on car. lol. Call me over weekend to update me. I'm gonna be pulling my car out and oil change and MAJOR detail as car hasn't been used since last June.

TorchredSVT
04-09-2014, 08:40 AM
Haha. Now I know how you felt a year or so ago. Lost a little bit of the passion.

I know how ya feel buddy, trust me, im there with ya

ToplessPony94
04-09-2014, 12:00 PM
Your still up after midnight, you should be working on car. lol. Call me over weekend to update me. I'm gonna be pulling my car out and oil change and MAJOR detail as car hasn't been used since last June.

LOL! Actually I was finishing up my taxes! Even Mustangs must get in line behind the tax man. ;)

And WTF? After telling me that the radiator would be delivered on 4/14 at the earliest, FedEx is now saying they plan to deliver it tomorrow? Is Jegs completely incompetent? I usually order through Summit, but they said the earliest they could ship the radiator was 4/17, so I went with Jegs. We'll see if it shows up...

On the other hand the crowfoot flares were supposed to arrive Friday, but they are now saying Saturday. I don't think I'm going to check ETA "promises" any more - too much incorrect info and aggravation.

George, it sounds like you have your hands full this weekend. I can't bring the car to you with the brake line leak, so you would need to come to me. Are you sure you have time to do this?

390gtconv
04-09-2014, 12:46 PM
LOL! Actually I was finishing up my taxes! Even Mustangs must get in line behind the tax man. ;)

And WTF? After telling me that the radiator would be delivered on 4/14 at the earliest, FedEx is now saying they plan to deliver it tomorrow? Is Jegs completely incompetent? I usually order through Summit, but they said the earliest they could ship the radiator was 4/17, so I went with Jegs. We'll see if it shows up...

On the other hand the crowfoot flares were supposed to arrive Friday, but they are now saying Saturday. I don't think I'm going to check ETA "promises" any more - too much incorrect info and aggravation.

George, it sounds like you have your hands full this weekend. I can't bring the car to you with the brake line leak, so you would need to come to me. Are you sure you have time to do this?

Maybe not in this case but... sometimes they say "delivered by' date, can mean can come sooner. Or if FedEx does a store morning pick up instead of afternoon pickup, delivery can change.
Just call me when stuff comes, at least radiator. Sat may start out sucky so that may work. I have every Fri off so between that and Sunday nice day, I can get something done.

SVT10th
04-09-2014, 01:39 PM
LOL! And WTF? After telling me that the radiator would be delivered on 4/14 at the earliest, FedEx is now saying they plan to deliver it tomorrow? Is Jegs completely incompetent? I usually order through Summit, but they said the earliest they could ship the radiator was 4/17, so I went with Jegs. We'll see if it shows up...

Wait a minute. You're complaining because it's being delivered early AND not only ahead of schedule but also before the earliest ship date from the alternate vendor? :confused:

ToplessPony94
04-09-2014, 02:00 PM
Wait a minute. You're complaining because it's being delivered early AND not only ahead of schedule but also before the earliest ship date from the alternate vendor? :confused:

No, I'm complaining that they can't get their story straight and have told me several dates more than a week apart. Summit has never done that to me and never missed a promised date, and that's in about 35-40 orders over 15 years. Leaves a very bad taste in my mouth about Jegs. I'll be delighted if it shows up tomorrow, but unlikely to order from Jegs again unless I have to.

TorchredSVT
04-09-2014, 04:08 PM
I have a friend who had an issue with Jeg's and shipping as well.....

SVT10th
04-10-2014, 08:34 AM
I have an order from Late Model Resto that I'm wondering about too. Got the order confirmation 4 days ago, but haven't gotten the shipment notice....

390gtconv
04-10-2014, 09:26 AM
Perhaps a call to them and ask for a tracking number on your order, then look it up thru shipper.

whtmare
04-10-2014, 07:27 PM
I have a friend who had an issue with Jeg's and shipping as well.....

Surprised to hear this jegs always ships fed ex which is far superior to ups IMHO ,when I order on a wedensday I have it by noon on Friday

390gtconv
04-10-2014, 08:52 PM
So Bruce did radiator really show up today, Thur? Or they gave you more bad info?

390gtconv
04-10-2014, 08:55 PM
Surprised to hear this jegs always ships fed ex which is far superior to ups IMHO ,when I order on a wedensday I have it by noon on Friday

Not so quick to blame the carrier as much but ask what rules has the company set up with a carrier, econo or expedited delivery? Should be 1st question in any case.

whtmare
04-10-2014, 10:01 PM
Not so quick to blame the carrier as much but ask what rules has the company set up with a carrier, econo or expedited delivery? Should be 1st question in any case.

Not blaming the carrier at all just stating how fast jegs had been getting stuff out to me. His radiator is probally drop shipped from the manufacturer that's where it sometimes gets dicey.

chachee52
04-10-2014, 10:18 PM
aarg, surrender thy booty you land lover!!

ToplessPony94
04-11-2014, 12:42 AM

See below for my opinon of Jegs and Fedex.

So Bruce did radiator really show up today, Thur? Or they gave you more bad info?

<Flame On> :mad:

Yup. It arrived today. FedEx left it right in plain sight in front of the garage door instead of on the porch where it would have been fairly hidden from the street, and the box was half destroyed, which is par for the course with FedEx in my experience. I'll take UPS over FedEx any day of the week. I'm about at the point where I'm going to refused to place an order unless I can be guaranteed that it will not ship FedEx. They are morons. UPS delivers things in one piece, on time, hidden on the porch and they even bring my wife's newspaper from the delivery tube if it's there. Fortunately, BeCool packs their product in rigid foam so the radiator was undamaged even though the box was nearly destroyed.

FYI, Jegs offers FREE ground shipping. For the record, I paid about $35 for Jegs to send it 2nd day air, but they shipped it FedEx Ground after taking my money for expedited shipping and they won't refund it. That's it - no more Jegs for me!

Not blaming the carrier at all just stating how fast jegs had been getting stuff out to me. His radiator is probally drop shipped from the manufacturer that's where it sometimes gets dicey.

I was told the radiator would be drop shipped from BeCool 2nd day air, but it was shipped to Jegs via ground and then reshipped to me via ground. Way to go Jegs!

</Flame Off> :rolleyes:

390gtconv
04-11-2014, 01:22 AM
Looks like plenty of hot flames to go around on this one.

:mad:

Now focus on letting us all see end product on 4/19. My help is always there! :cool:

ToplessPony94
04-11-2014, 10:14 AM
Looks like plenty of hot flames to go around on this one.

:mad:

Now focus on letting us all see end product on 4/19. My help is always there! :cool:

Thanks, George! Yeah, definite flames for Jegs and FedEx, (and just possibly for BeCool shipping department).

My go-to guy Jason at Hudson Meineke has the car today to replace the radiator, water pump gasket (and pump if necessary) and to see if in his amazing tool collection he can find something to tighten the one brake line fitting that's leaking without ripping too much out of the brake system to get to it. (We put that section of the lines together before putting it into the car because it's really tight in there!)

IF all of that is successful, I'd say there's an excellent chance you will see the Stealth Fighter on 4/19 (:cool:) instead of my Prius (:eek:) .

ToplessPony94
04-11-2014, 01:33 PM
UPDATE: Jegs decided not to charge me for the expedited shipping I did not receive after all. One small bright spot in a cloudy, ugly mess. To their credit, it was the only thing they could fix after the fact and they did.

ToplessPony94
04-11-2014, 11:04 PM

Well, things are looking more likely for 4/19. I don't have the car back yet, but I spoke with Jason and he said he was pretty sure he had fixed the leaking flare joint and the coolant leak (which turned out to be at the timing cover, not the water pump gasket) and the diff cover leak and installed my new radiator. I forgot to ask if he replaced the water pump as well. All things that I just ran out of hours to do myself before ED Day.

I haven't installed the new motor and tranny mounts yet, but I don't need those for ED Day, only has to happen before I take off for Carlisle in June.

I do still have to adjust the brake proportioning valve before heading out Rt 101 for ED Day, but that should happen Sunday. After that it's just re-mounting the strut tower brace and some shiny bits I took off for all the work this winter, then detail the car as much as I have time for. I should be able to find time for those things since the Friday before Ed Day is Good Friday which is a stock market holiday, which means we get it off work at my company. :)

chachee52
04-12-2014, 06:48 AM
I just awakened from Slumber!! It's too early!!

fredfordguy
04-13-2014, 11:48 AM
Saturday was the day, lots of sunshine, everything we've been waiting for all winter. Took our car out to get inspected, passed, now it' time to take a ride. Only a short one to Concord and back, but enough of a trip to reinforce every reason why we've never sold this car. Man cruizin' in the old car knocks 30 years off the time clock. Looking forward to this season for sure...Best to all......

Dennis O'Shea
04-13-2014, 03:10 PM
Well I guess you might call it a rude awakening Drove home from Ohio With the new ride and she ran strong and well And it was a glorious day when we left there it was almost seventy five:p

ToplessPony94
04-13-2014, 03:55 PM
Nice, Dennis! I'm very happy for you. And lucky Jibber!

As for my own projects, I brought the car home yesterday. New radiator installed - check! Timing cover coolant leak - check! Diff cover leak - check! Brake fitting leak - check! And today we adjusted the brake proportioning valve and the braking is phenomenal! Most of the annoying stuff that would have kept my car from ED Day are taken care of.

Now if GSDT can get my clutch adjustment figured out on the dyno and check out the EGR system which I hope is no longer leaking then I can reinstall what needs to be reinstalled for cosmetics. ED Day is looking much more likely for my car than it was 48 hours ago. Fingers crossed!

whtmare
04-13-2014, 05:15 PM
Well I guess you might call it a rude awakening Drove home from Ohio With the new ride and she ran strong and well And it was a glorious day when we left there it was almost seventy five:p

Congrats man!!

LILBLKSNAKE
04-13-2014, 05:35 PM
and check out the EGR system which I hope is no longer leaking

some people rip out all the EGR stuff. Not sure what it will or won't do for you

390gtconv
04-13-2014, 06:03 PM
ED Day is looking much more likely for my car than it was 48 hours ago. Fingers crossed!

Now that's the power of positive thinking.

390gtconv
04-13-2014, 06:08 PM
Today after working on my open trailer to clean up wiring at my junction block and moving it out of the way, and the rain stopping I finally got to re-install battery in my 67 and started it up. I miss my big block exhaust sound. All is well. But have to wait until tomorrow to pull it out of trailer, move to garage and change oil. Then detail just for Ed Day.

ToplessPony94
04-13-2014, 06:33 PM
some people rip out all the EGR stuff. Not sure what it will or won't do for you

I'm a green kind of guy and I will rip out the EGR stuff if and when I can no longer get the parts to make it work. I already have an EGR plate and a header cap for the bung. Not happening until necessary. I'm proud of the fact that my car puts down ~300 rwhp and ~315 rwtq and is substantially cleaner than when it left the factory. Others can follow their own drumbeat and I wish them well, but for me the EGR stays while it can.