PDA

View Full Version : Much to my surpise !!

MY-S281
03-21-2014, 03:05 PM
Been waiting for my New 18" Staggered "Chrome" Saleen wheel set w/ Nitto's to arrive,

UPS showed up and left, and I opened the box: as the title says ! MUCH TO MY SURPRISE !

I need a Drink before I make a call !

ToplessPony94
03-21-2014, 03:36 PM
Interesting "Chrome" you have there, Barry! Heck, why not mount 'em up on one side of the car. You just might find you like it! Who knows - give it a try while you have the chance! LOL!

Dennis O'Shea
03-21-2014, 06:07 PM
"OUCH"that sucks

whtmare
03-21-2014, 07:00 PM
Nice black cragar ss's lol

Jibber
03-21-2014, 08:41 PM
That sucks.

MY-S281
03-31-2014, 02:33 PM
Yes the Pun was intended ! :-)"

Well the new / correct wheels and rubber arrived today finally. Sent back the wrong wheels at the same time,!

l20262027

Now the question I have is can anyone tell me what is the best way to protect the inside of the wheels where once on the car are not all that accessible.

Is there something I can treat the "chrome" plating with to prevent it from getting all discolored as they generally seem to do ? is there a clear type of coating that can be applied to inside / back of the wheels that anyone is aware of?

Dennis O'Shea
03-31-2014, 03:00 PM
Those wheels look awesome

ToplessPony94
03-31-2014, 09:00 PM
Now the question I have is can anyone tell me what is the best way to protect the inside of the wheels where once on the car are not all that accessible.

Is there something I can treat the "chrome" plating with to prevent it from getting all discolored as they generally seem to do ? is there a clear type of coating that can be applied to inside / back of the wheels that anyone is aware of?

I tried a few things on my wheels, though they are not chrome. I can't say I've met with much success. The best results were when I took them off a couple of times a year, cleaned them well with Griot's Wheel Cleaner then waxed them with wheel wax. All that really did was make it a bit easier to clean the brake dust off, but they still got dirty and had to be taken off the car for cleaning when it really mattered. Cleaning them through the spokes never worked well for me.

07 stang gt
04-01-2014, 07:34 AM
I have an Adams product I detail with that would be perfect !! It is called Liquid Paint Sealant. Absolutly love the stuff. I use it when a customer has a daily driver that wants the paint protected for 3 to 4 months at a time. Rock hard with incredible shine.Needs to be put down on a CLEAN surface so it adhers . I use it after a paint correction is done so it bonds to the clean paint, lay it down with a machine (or by hand on little things like wheels), wipe off, and then apply glaze and wax. Great protection and a great shine.I used it on my F150 and my wifes Focus before the winter to seal the paint, here are some pics after I appied it, then used glaze and then wax on top of it. Lasted for 3 months through a lot of salt this winter and daily driving. My customers love it. Let me know if I can help.20292030203120322033203420352036

TorchredSVT
04-01-2014, 08:44 AM
Somehow I missed this thread all together....shit barry, that sucks but atleast you got the issue fixed!! I love how they become part of your living room hahahaha.

As for the inside of the wheels......it's all about the prep. There's really two ways you can protect them. You can use a wax or sealant to keep the metal covered...or you can try a clear plastidip.
Either way, there really is no getting around the fact the inside of the wheel will need to be cleaned. It's just the nature of the beast.

MY-S281
04-01-2014, 10:40 PM
Somehow I missed this thread all together....shit barry, that sucks but atleast you got the issue fixed!! I love how they become part of your living room hahahaha.

As for the inside of the wheels......it's all about the prep. There's really two ways you can protect them. You can use a wax or sealant to keep the metal covered...or you can try a clear plastidip.
Either way, there really is no getting around the fact the inside of the wheel will need to be cleaned. It's just the nature of the beast.

Thanks Ian, been looking at the Plasti Dip stuff tonight., interesting stuff for sure. got side tracked with some the cool projects people have used it for, may even have to give it a try ! just cant decide if I need just the Glossifier of if I need the Clear and Glossifier for the inside barrels of the wheels , dont think I will use it on the face of the wheels.

I have an Adams product I detail with that would be perfect !! It is called Liquid Paint Sealant. Absolutly love the stuff. I use it when a customer has a daily driver that wants the paint protected for 3 to 4 months at a time. Rock hard with incredible shine.Needs to be put down on a CLEAN surface so it adhers . I use it after a paint correction is done so it bonds to the clean paint, lay it down with a machine (or by hand on little things like wheels), wipe off, and then apply glaze and wax. Great protection and a great shine.I used it on my F150 and my wifes Focus before the winter to seal the paint, here are some pics after I appied it, then used glaze and then wax on top of it. Lasted for 3 months through a lot of salt this winter and daily driving. My customers love it. Let me know if I can help.

Thanks ! Will this Liquid Paint Sealant actually help protect the inside semi rough finish of the barrel of the wheels that are chrome plated as well as the chrome face and for how long do you think it would hold up. Car doesn't sleep inside so sometimes its a chore to just keep the wheels clean on the face never mind inside and in between !

07 stang gt
04-02-2014, 06:35 AM
It should, I have the same semi rough surface as well, and if not, they have a spray on version as well. A coat of sealant,some Brilliant Glaze, and then follow up with a coat of Buttery Wax, shine and protection that will last for a while !!

SVT10th
04-02-2014, 09:00 AM
Barry -- I was looking into the Plastidip too. I don't think that's going to do what you want. I've seen a few cars that are sprayed with it, and it looks good, but even with "glossifier" isn't what you really call "glossy" -- more of a satin/semi-gloss and not totally smooth -- smooth, with a little orange peel. (There was a car at World of Wheels done in it -- on of the Import/Tuner clubs had it.)
Anyway, because it's still a semi rough surface, I think your cleaning problem would still exist. It may be [I]easier[I] to clean, and would protect the finish from staining, but you'd still have to get in there and wash the inside of the wheels to get rid of the brake dust, dirt, etc. I think a good, smooth heavy duty wax like what Jimmy is suggesting would probably work best.

MY-S281
04-02-2014, 11:47 AM
It should, I have the same semi rough surface as well, and if not, they have a spray on version as well. A coat of sealant,some Brilliant Glaze, and then follow up with a coat of Buttery Wax, shine and protection that will last for a while !!

What might something like this cost to have you do? I dont plan to actually put the wheels on until after ED DAY , maybe even a little later than that, I need to get the Saleen up to Rick a.k.a. "The Prez" soon after Ed day for some upgrades so I have time . It will obliviously be much easier where as they are brand new wheels and tire that have never been put on the car !! I was actually planning on having you clean up my other car that I bought right before the winter use as a Daily Driver , may easier to have you come to my house vs. trying to lug the wheels up there..

maybe we can meet up next week some time and set something up for the wheel treatment and my DD, I am usually in the Plaistow Area on Sunday afternoons if you want to take a peek at the car I want done ! Thinking I will prob. want the # 4 Package from your menu and then possibly later in the season just before the SmokinStangs Laconia Events in June I may have you give the Saleen some love !

07 stang gt
04-03-2014, 05:05 AM
Sounds good to me.I am detailing a 1964 and a half Mustang Conv. on Saturday and a 2013 Explorer on Sunday at my house in Danville, right next to Plaistow.Maybe during the morning hours before I start on Sunday we can get together and look at what you need to have done and take it from there.I am going to post on one of the detailers forums about your rims and see what they suggest as well. I also have a semi rough surface on the barrels of my rims, I had some oxidation on the aluminum, not on the chrome, so I stripped them down,sanded them, painted them to match the stripes on the car in silver metallic paint, came out perfect, point being, we can take one of my tires and rims off and experiment with that with the liquid sealant I have. I can get a spray version of it as well. Get online and look up adamspolishes.com and on the left side of their homepage about 5 products down look under "wax and sealants" click on it and look at the video on spray sealant,I think you will be impressed, probably just what you are looking for. I say we use one or the other- liquid I have or spray I can get and try it and see. We can put some glaze/wax on after I seal them for some extra protection and give them a little more shine,use some non greasy, NON SLINGING tire dressing I use from Adams, and we should be good to go.PM me and we will figure it out this weekend.

MY-S281
04-03-2014, 06:56 AM
Sounds good to me.I am detailing a 1964 and a half Mustang Conv. on Saturday and a 2013 Explorer on Sunday at my house in Danville, right next to Plaistow.Maybe during the morning hours before I start on Sunday we can get together and look at what you need to have done and take it from there.I am going to post on one of the detailers forums about your rims and see what they suggest as well. I also have a semi rough surface on the barrels of my rims, I had some oxidation on the aluminum, not on the chrome, so I stripped them down,sanded them, painted them to match the stripes on the car in silver metallic paint, came out perfect, point being, we can take one of my tires and rims off and experiment with that with the liquid sealant I have. I can get a spray version of it as well. Get online and look up adamspolishes.com and on the left side of their homepage about 5 products down look under "wax and sealants" click on it and look at the video on spray sealant,I think you will be impressed, probably just what you are looking for. I say we use one or the other- liquid I have or spray I can get and try it and see. We can put some glaze/wax on after I seal them for some extra protection and give them a little more shine,use some non greasy, NON SLINGING tire dressing I use from Adams, and we should be good to go.PM me and we will figure it out this weekend.

Sounds good ! I will shoot you a PM and we can go from there ! Thanks !