PDA

View Full Version : Cruise Night Update

rhoidahl
03-18-2014, 05:53 PM
Just to let you folks know that moving our Cruise Night to Bass Pro Shops is not going to work out. I think we all agree that moving to Bass Pro Shops could dramatically increase our cruise night attendance. But they would commit to giving us only 50 parking spots, which we don't think is enough. I've been there a couple of times and the parking lot was full each time. So I am not comfortable that they could continue providing us even 50 spots, if it means they don't have enough space for their customers. So it looks like we will back at Advance Auto Parts. We tried ...

ToplessPony94
03-18-2014, 06:21 PM
Thanks for giving it a go Randy!

LILBLKSNAKE
03-18-2014, 06:48 PM
I was going to miss the steak bombs at USA subs anyway!!!

390gtconv
03-18-2014, 07:45 PM
oh well. Yea I think traffic will settle down. But haven't seen their lot yet so. keep eye on it for future thoughts.

chachee52
03-18-2014, 07:58 PM
Thanks for the time and effort Randy. Would have been nice but the good news is that the rumors of them having one is probably out the door as well if they only give up 50 spaces, no one would start one with that amount of slots.

07 stang gt
03-19-2014, 06:05 AM
Thanks for all your efforts to try to get in there !!!!!!:D

TorchredSVT
03-19-2014, 08:51 AM
well that's disappointing to hear.....thanks for putting the effort in.

I would agree with Todd on this....no one will really start or want to have a cruise night there with only 50 spots dedicated

KARMAN
03-19-2014, 11:44 AM
Was worth a shot.
Thanks Randy

rhoidahl
03-19-2014, 08:29 PM
Hey guys -- who knows, once the "newness" of this store wears off, maybe they will be able to commit to more parking spaces for a cruise night event. Maybe next year... ... ...

390gtconv
03-19-2014, 09:40 PM
Hey guys -- who knows, once the "newness" of this store wears off, maybe they will be able to commit to more parking spaces for a cruise night event. Maybe next year... ... ...

Yea.... then you'll hit your dream attendance number!!

Jibber
03-20-2014, 07:58 AM
Thanks Randy.
At this point I think this is a do or die year at our current location.
If successful in drawing some numbers then great. If not then Let it go and reset for 2015.

ToplessPony94
03-20-2014, 09:45 AM
Thanks Randy.
At this point I think this is a do or die year at our current location.
If successful in drawing some numbers then great. If not then Let it go and reset for 2015.

I agree. I won't repeat past comments again, but we can't deny we lost a lot of regular attendees when we moved north.

390gtconv
03-20-2014, 10:04 AM
I still say WALMART, (sorry for brain taking nap) in Salem is a great spot. But making that work may not be that easy

Jibber
03-20-2014, 12:01 PM
I still say Home Depot in Salem is a great spot. But making that work may not be that easy

Home Depot in Salem would be aweful. I wouldn't go there. Hmmmmm.... Maybe that's your intent.

390gtconv
03-20-2014, 12:25 PM
Home Depot in Salem would be aweful. I wouldn't go there. Hmmmmm.... Maybe that's your intent.

SORRY.... meant WALMART..........
Next to busy road, Wendy & ice cream stand near by.

TorchredSVT
03-20-2014, 12:54 PM
somewhere along 28 would be awesome....my only prob with Walmart is it's off the beaten path

ToplessPony94
03-20-2014, 01:45 PM
I don't really think I want "the people of Walmart" messing around anywhere near my car...

390gtconv
03-20-2014, 02:03 PM
somewhere along 28 would be awesome....my only prob with Walmart is it's off the beaten path

Walmart is on rte 28, very busy rd. Much more than current place in Hooksett.

390gtconv
03-20-2014, 02:06 PM
I don't really think I want "the people of Walmart" messing around anywhere near my car...

I go to Walmart, what's that mean??? lol
No real big diff than most other "local shows". Be near your car or someone watch. I like some foot traffic, Then there's Carlisle, talk about foot traffic. Ya deal with it.

TorchredSVT
03-20-2014, 02:28 PM
Walmart is on rte 28, very busy rd. Much more than current place in Hooksett.

correct, but it's down 28 past where anyone except locals drive by........having it somewhere along the congested section would get more attention and attract more cars.

390gtconv
03-20-2014, 03:55 PM
correct, but it's down 28 past where anyone except locals drive by........having it somewhere along the congested section would get more attention and attract more cars.

It's on rte 28 not "past it". It's an area between exit #2 & #3. I've been living in this area for almost 30yrs now, not a quiet area. there's a mini golf coarse there stones throw away. People cutting thru area to go up rte 111.

Huh, and current location is NOT locals? Hell in that area, when the sun goes down, they roll up the carpet.

Besides at current location, HOW many times during a season did you show up? Does it really matter then?

As far as "locals driving by" lot of population in that area so I don't care what color the license plates are, people are people.

ToplessPony94
03-20-2014, 05:10 PM
I go to Walmart, what's that mean??? lol
No real big diff than most other "local shows". Be near your car or someone watch. I like some foot traffic, Then there's Carlisle, talk about foot traffic. Ya deal with it.

C'mon George! Surely you have seen some of the You Tube videos titled "The People of Walmart"? If not, you've missed a lot of laughs! Google it and sit back and enjoy.

390gtconv
03-20-2014, 05:16 PM
C'mon George! Surely you have seen some of the You Tube videos titled "The People of Walmart"? If not, you've missed a lot of laughs! Google it and sit back and enjoy.

Yea I have, didn't think you were "going there". lol Beside most families of 6 are out to go shopping, not interested in cars.

LILBLKSNAKE
03-20-2014, 07:16 PM
We should just do it at New England Dragway!!

chachee52
03-20-2014, 08:36 PM
Ihave to agree with George, that IF it is going to be on 28, I would NOT want to go south of Rockingham Park. But saying that North of it by Walmart is "off the beaten path" is a little off. There is a TON of traffic of all kinds up there. It's right next to a major RT intersection. It is a great location as geography goes, and there is a big parking lot.
I'm not saying that I am endorsing having it at Walmart though.

TorchredSVT
03-21-2014, 08:59 AM
Besides at current location, HOW many times during a season did you show up? Does it really matter then?

0 , and there is a reason for that. Too many other cruise nights that are local to me which are much bigger. And there's plenty others in my area who feel the same way. That's part of the attendance problem.

For me, NHMC cruise night for me is hanging out with the club members, not for the cars. Maybe this year I'll show up at a few, we'll see :)

You guys know NH better than me, if you feel that having it at Walmart is better, go for it. For me, as a guy living in Mass, i have zero reason to take a left off the rockingham mall exit onto 28....but again, that's just me giving my opinion.

390gtconv
03-21-2014, 09:18 AM
You guys know NH better than me, if you feel that having it at Walmart is better, go for it. For me, as a guy living in Mass, i have zero reason to take a left off the rockingham mall exit onto 28....but again, that's just me giving my opinion.

It's just that there has been several on/off discussions with some folks on how we appeal a cruz night to some of our Mass members, to which we've lost some because to many events to far north. Having it closer would be a good thought. Just thinking to get more folks involved with their cars. A Walmart or similiar location closer to border was my thinking. Been said by club staff if anyone has better location, speak up.
Now I was hoping to "go right" at rockingham mall to see you and YOUR CAR at Mann's cruz but my new job not gonna allow for that, oh well.

ToplessPony94
03-21-2014, 11:08 AM
It's just that there has been several on/off discussions with some folks on how we appeal a cruz night to some of our Mass members, to which we've lost some because to many events to far north. Having it closer would be a good thought. Just thinking to get more folks involved with their cars. A Walmart or similiar location closer to border was my thinking. Been said by club staff if anyone has better location, speak up.
Now I was hoping to "go right" at rockingham mall to see you and YOUR CAR at Mann's cruz but my new job not gonna allow for that, oh well.

During the time I've been a member, we had the best turnouts at HD in Londonderry. Then it moved farther from MA and even with the poor conditions at Mel's we had a decent turnout. Then it moved still farther from MA and attendance plummeted. My understanding is that the main reason for leaving HD was that they would not allow us storage on-site. (Doubtful that Walmart would either.) The storage problem can be solved. Perhaps we should just admit it was a mistake to leave there and see if we can go back. Most people really liked that location from what I hear.

LILBLKSNAKE
03-21-2014, 12:21 PM
Most people really liked that location from what I hear.

That was my favorite location so far. Except for the blockbuster ED Cruise Night at Papa Gino's in Tewksbury

Jibber
03-21-2014, 08:43 PM
Except for the blockbuster ED Cruise Night at Papa Gino's in Tewksbury

I remember these... Heavily attended by all those NHMC Mass resident members.

Jibber
03-21-2014, 08:50 PM
0 , and there is a reason for that. Too many other cruise nights that are local to me which are much bigger. And there's plenty others in my area who feel the same way. That's part of the attendance problem.

IMHO, not to attend our cruise night at least a few times a year is not cool....I'm certainly not saying you have to go EVERY week.... but a few wouldn't kill you.
Remember, I'm only about 10 minutes from your house and i made it up to these cruise nights. It's not like you live down on the cape buddy.

LILBLKSNAKE
03-21-2014, 09:53 PM
I remember these... Heavily attended by all those NHMC Mass resident members.

I had a record breaking attendance of 5 once

ToplessPony94
03-21-2014, 10:55 PM
I had a record breaking attendance of 5 once

Ahem... I'm sure ED meant 5 rows of the parking lot... ;)

whtmare
03-22-2014, 07:53 AM
Cruise night could be in salem or concord nh when it comes down to who's gonna show it's still going to be the same group of people. hooksett is not that far I'd much rather take a nice ride around the lake on my way to cruise night in hooksett than go thru some stop and go highway/city traffic

390gtconv
03-22-2014, 08:08 AM
Cruise night could be in salem or concord nh when it comes down to who's gonna show it's still going to be the same group of people. hooksett is not that far I'd much rather take a nice ride around the lake on my way to cruise night in hooksett than go thru some stop and go highway/city traffic

The beauty of Home Depot was ONLY couple traffic lights from Rte 93. Also closer for many folks from MA to show up PLUS a larger classic car crowd non-members.

LILBLKSNAKE
03-22-2014, 09:47 AM
We could just do Cruise Night at Jibber's house

Dennis O'Shea
03-22-2014, 12:19 PM
His wife makes Killer Hot Dogs
We could just do Cruise Night at Jibber's house

TorchredSVT
03-22-2014, 02:27 PM
IMHO, not to attend our cruise night at least a few times a year is not cool....I'm certainly not saying you have to go EVERY week.... but a few wouldn't kill you.
Remember, I'm only about 10 minutes from your house and i made it up to these cruise nights. It's not like you live down on the cape buddy.

Life gets in the way sometimes of doing things. I am entitled to having a life right? I'll try to make one or two this year, but hey....shit happens.

LILBLKSNAKE
03-22-2014, 02:40 PM
Personally, I think we should leave it where it is for a couple reasons...

1. we already walked away from Advance Auto once before and they were nice enough to support us the second time around.
2. If you think it's too far, you're in a car club- DRIVE YOUR CAR!!!!!!
3. not everyone can make every single one. We don't need to badger or guilt trip people into going. Some days it's a lot more relaxing to sit next to Ian's pool than it is to sit in a parking lot in 100 degrees. That's life, there's no nice way to say it, and when certain people can go they will.
4. Open it up to other clubs. Start spreading the word.

Dennis O'Shea
03-22-2014, 04:09 PM
I think everyone has cabin fever its been a long winter Just chill out It will all work out one way or another

LILBLKSNAKE
03-22-2014, 05:53 PM
I think everyone has cabin fever its been a long winter Just chill out It will all work out one way or another

Give me another clue on what's under that car cover gramps!!!!!

Dennis O'Shea
03-22-2014, 06:04 PM
Its Black and has four wheels And its very shiny
Give me another clue on what's under that car cover gramps!!!!!

ToplessPony94
03-22-2014, 06:46 PM
The beauty of Home Depot was ONLY couple traffic lights from Rte 93. Also closer for many folks from MA to show up PLUS a larger classic car crowd non-members.

Thanks, George. My point exactly.

KARMAN
03-22-2014, 09:57 PM
+1 Bruce+George

rhoidahl
03-23-2014, 12:12 PM
Lots of feedback on this issue, as I expected. And there certainly are a lot of differing opinions. When we left Home Depot and moved cruise night to Mel's, attendance dropped and dropped quickly to the point where there were only 15 to 20 cars showing up, and Mel's kept reducing our allotted parking spots. We tried a couple of other places in Derry (Walmart and the pizza place just off 93), but for whatever reason, tese didn't work out either. Advance Auto is a bit farther north, but not much. The big pluses to remaining at Advance Auto is that they give us plenty of parking, 20% off at Advance Auto, and 10% off at USA subs. And Dunkin Donuts and a couple of restaurants are within walking distance. Bass Pro Shops did not work out this year as they would only commit to 50 parking spots, and I think we all agree that is not a sufficient number. So we remain at Advance Auto for 2014, but we are trying some things to increase attendance:
1. We will publicize our Cruise Night considerably more than in past years -- tons of flyers with member assistance to distribute them many other cruise and show events, and other clubs as well
2. One cruise night for a birthday celebration party for the Mustang's 50th birthday this year. We will produce flyers to distribute for this event, ad send specific invitations to club members with specialty Mustangs who don't usually bring them out to cruise night.
3. Another charity cruise night event. We already have one in Sept for the Ricky McGregor Memorial Scholarship charity. I was thinking of a second one for the NH Food Bank; setting up as sort of a challenge event to all other local clubs to see which club can bring the most in food donations.
4. We could have another cruise night with a car/music trivia contest.

There are my thoughts, and now that the planning for World of Wheels, moving our Fall show to Canobie Lake Park, and deciding on where Cruise Night will be this year, it's time to get to the details for our Cruise Night events. So, any and all ideas are welcome...

SVT10th
03-24-2014, 09:16 AM

No, not so much - location is most definitely key. Since I've been in the club, we've had cruise nights at a number of places. Home Depot was by far the biggest and best.

Previous Cruise Night locations since I've been a member:
Londonderry Burger King (exit 4): Great attendance, always filled the lot, outgrew the location.
Londonderry Ben Franklin Plaza (exit 4): Good attendance, outgrew the lot and had landlord and customer traffic issues.
Manchester Henry's Autobody (off Willow St): poor attendance, rarely more than 30 cars.
Londonderry Home Depot (exit 4): Tremendously successful. Frequently over 100 cars, many times 200+.
Litchfield Mel's Funway (couple miles past MHT airport): Mediocre attendance, normally 50-70 cars.
Hooksett Advanced Auto (current): poor attendance, struggle to get 30+ cars. Max I think was what? 70? 80?
Did I forget any?

Anyone see the pattern? Exit 4 off 93 seems to be the sweet spot. I think the current location is good, and has growth potential, but we a) have more competition, b) it's a bit far off the highway (and the road from 93 to Advance is sucky), and c) we really have not gotten the word out. It's a "club member" cruise, with only a few attendees who are not NHMC members or friends.
If it's going to get bigger, we need more consistent attendees (yes, I'm guilty of not going often, too) and we need to get the word out -- maybe even saying this is the "same cruise night that used to be at Home Depot in Londonderry" since that one had some recognition.

I would LOVE to see it go back to Home Depot, but as Randy indicates above, I don't think it's going to happen.

ToplessPony94
03-24-2014, 10:32 AM
No, not so much - location is most definitely key. Since I've been in the club, we've had cruise nights at a number of places. Home Depot was by far the biggest and best.

Anyone see the pattern? Exit 4 off 93 seems to be the sweet spot.

I have to agree with Jim 100% on this.

whtmare
03-24-2014, 10:37 AM
And the gas prices and economy were what back then gents??..I'm tapping out of the discussion at this point we can go round and round all we want it's in hooksett this year, lets all try and make it as much as possible to support the event.

SVT10th
03-24-2014, 02:54 PM
And the gas prices and economy were what back then gents??..I'm tapping out of the discussion at this point we can go round and round all we want it's in hooksett this year, lets all try and make it as much as possible to support the event.

Better than they are now. We're talking pre-2009. I think we started at HD in 07.

But, yes I agree. We're done here. Lets just all do what we can to promote the Cruise Night as it exists. Get the word out to everyone, promote it any way you can. Hand out flyers, post on forums. Talk it up at work, the dentist, workout club, where ever you might meet car enthusiasts.

chachee52
03-24-2014, 08:15 PM
Get the word out to everyone, promote it any way you can. Hand out flyers, post on forums. Talk it up at work, the dentist, workout club, where ever you might meet car enthusiasts.

I have to go to a workout club? Damn it. I quit this club!!!!