PDA

View Full Version : Feds may require cars to 'talk' to each other

ToplessPony94
02-03-2014, 04:30 PM
We all knew this was coming - looks like it's getting closer to being real.

-----------------------------------
Federal regulators want your car to be able to talk to others on the road in a bid to reduce motor vehicle crashes and to help motorists avoid traffic jams.

After years of study, the National Highway Traffic Safety Administration said Monday it will begin taking steps that could eventually require all new cars and trucks to be equipped with so-called vehicle-to-vehicle, or V2V, technology, calling it a key to saving lives while also improving traffic flow in major urban areas.

"Vehicle-to-vehicle technology represents the next generation of auto safety improvements, building on the life-saving achievements we've already seen with safety belts and air bags," said U.S. Transportation Secretary Anthony Foxx. "By helping drivers avoid crashes, this technology will play a key role in improving the way people get where they need to go while ensuring that the U.S. remains the leader in the global automotive industry."

At its most basic, V2V technology could be used to pass information about weather and traffic conditions from one vehicle to the next, alerting a driver, for example, to take a detour around a tie-up or when roads are icy. The technology could be used to signal motorists when a driver runs a stoplight, giving them time to hit their brakes.

The technology also could be linked to local roadway systems to get even more detailed information about road and weather conditions. Meanwhile, a vehicle equipped with the technology could also get alerts to where the driver might find an open parking spot in a crowded downtown.

At its most advanced, V2V technology could become critical to the development of the autonomous vehicles that many automotive manufacturers hope to put into production by the beginning of the next decade.

More here:
http://www.nbcnews.com/business/feds-may-require-cars-talk-each-other-2D12043182

390gtconv
02-03-2014, 05:34 PM
Look how long its taken all cell phone mfg's to make the same phone charger cords. Now we want to have cars of diff mfg's to talk to each other? Can they agree on the same interface standard?

My fear is somefday computer viruses take control of a car, yikes.

chachee52
02-03-2014, 09:21 PM
I don't know about your's but my GPS already does alert me about traffic jams. If it is to be autonomous then I disagree. The new cars that have the "auto-brake" system already scares the crap out of me!!!

ToplessPony94
02-03-2014, 09:49 PM
Look how long its taken all cell phone mfg's to make the same phone charger cords. Now we want to have cars of diff mfg's to talk to each other? Can they agree on the same interface standard?

My fear is somefday computer viruses take control of a car, yikes.

I agree - but it is true that they all seem able to talk with the same GPS satellites these days and many are on the internet. I'm not sure that it's a good thing, but I do see it coming sooner rather than later. I think the big difference is that no one could really imagine the FCC getting involved in the design of phone charger cords (to small an issue), but I have no trouble seeing the NTSB and DOT getting involved in this (a much larger issue).

I don't know about your's but my GPS already does alert me about traffic jams. If it is to be autonomous then I disagree. The new cars that have the "auto-brake" system already scares the crap out of me!!!

Yeah, for sure. I can just see someone suing one of the automakers the first time a car brakes without warning (even for a good reason) and they get their coffee spilled all over them or choke on a hamburger. :D

390gtconv
02-04-2014, 07:02 AM
I agree - but it is true that they all seem able to talk with the same GPS satellites these days and many are on the internet. I'm not sure that it's a good thing, but I do see it coming sooner rather than later. I think the big difference is that no one could really imagine the FCC getting involved in the design of phone charger cords (to small an issue), but I have no trouble seeing the NTSB and DOT getting involved in this (a much larger issue).

Hope they use satellites & not towers. Problems with hilly areas and driving out west thru open desert areas with no signals like problems people have with cell phones today. Or driving thru big tunnels like Callahan.

http://finance.yahoo.com/news/feds-decide-car-car-communications-142416221--finance.html
Don't look for nice results soon, it'll take awhile.
"Once automakers start adding the technology to all new cars, it would take 15 years or more for half the cars on the nation's roads to be equipped, according to the communications technology company Qualcomm."
Work in progress. "Some systems could automatically brake to avoid an accident."
So still could get hit until most all cars trucks (??) able to do "auto stop".

TorchredSVT
02-04-2014, 08:49 AM
technology will surely play an interesting role in the future of the automotive market.

SVT10th
02-04-2014, 09:06 AM
It''s actually pretty interesting tech.

CNet Cars has some very good explanations. Ford is one of the companies on the forefront. They and several other automakers are already working on standards that all cars would share.
Also, while some ideas are "global" where all cars track other cars usig central computers, GPS and satellite technology, some are more simple -- such as a car simply broadcasts its status (stopped, braking, accelerating, speed) and the cars within several hundred feet around it can receive that info. So if someone slams on their brakes 2 cars ahead of you and hidden from view by the delivery van right in front of you, your car and the ones behind you are already aware and can start slowing, preventing you from being the meat in a automotive sandwich.
Also, when combined with smart traffic light technology (which is also being worked on) it can use that same polling to see whether someone is about to blow a red light and make necessary adjustments. Smart Traffic light tech can also do cool things like tell you what speed to drive in order to hit all the lights on section of road while they are green.

Obviously, before all these ideas are workable, all cars will have to be fitted with the appropriate technology. The workable thing about the simple broadcast technology, is that even older cars can be easily outfitted with the transmitters using the OBDII connector.

ToplessPony94
02-04-2014, 10:23 AM
Don't look for nice results soon, it'll take awhile.
"Once automakers start adding the technology to all new cars, it would take 15 years or more for half the cars on the nation's roads to be equipped, according to the communications technology company Qualcomm."
Work in progress. "Some systems could automatically brake to avoid an accident."
So still could get hit until most all cars trucks (??) able to do "auto stop".

In a word, "YES". I'm sure eventually there will be roads where non-equipped cars will not be allowed. I don't mind if I don't live to see that day.

ToplessPony94
02-04-2014, 10:32 AM
Also, when combined with smart traffic light technology (which is also being worked on) it can use that same polling to see whether someone is about to blow a red light and make necessary adjustments.

... and probably mail the ticket, too! :(

Obviously, before all these ideas are workable, all cars will have to be fitted with the appropriate technology. The workable thing about the simple broadcast technology, is that even older cars can be easily outfitted with the transmitters using the OBDII connector.

Unless you have a pre-96 car with OBD-I or nothing! :p

390gtconv
02-04-2014, 12:58 PM
Boy with new braking technology, someday, gonna bum out people that like to do tailgating another car.

SVT10th
02-04-2014, 01:13 PM
... Unless you have a pre-96 car with OBD-I or nothing! :p

Well that's gonna by the real fly in the ointment.
but that's gonna take years, if not decades to resolve