PDA

View Full Version : New Speed Limit

07 stang gt
01-09-2014, 06:51 AM
Was traveling up 93 North yesterday to see my northern Ford dealers yesterday and starting at exit 18 and up, the new speed limit is 70mph. Kinda strange going 72mph and not even getting a look from the state troopers where as before you were 7 mph over the limit and in danger of getting pulled over !!1968 :p

chachee52
01-09-2014, 07:58 AM
Hmm, interesting that they finally raised it. Didn't hear that they were going to do that.
Whenever I drive up there going 70 I was always the slow guy having people FLY past me like I'm standing still.

TorchredSVT
01-09-2014, 08:38 AM
I did read about this, but I was unsure which sections of 93 they raised the limit on..........is it a specific section?

SVT10th
01-09-2014, 10:13 AM
"As of Jan. 1, the speed limit will be 70 mph for about an 80-mile stretch of I-93 north of Canterbury up to the border with Vermont.

Currently, motorists can drive up to 65 mph on this stretch of road.

The only part of the route not covered by the increase is about 5 miles that go through the White Mountain National Forest and Franconia Notch, where the speed limit will remain 45 mph."

390gtconv
01-09-2014, 10:45 AM
Hmm, interesting that they finally raised it. Didn't hear that they were going to do that.
Whenever I drive up there going 70 I was always the slow guy having people FLY past me like I'm standing still.

Just before the New Year, WMUR NH did a small story on "new laws" for 2014 and cover the increased speed limit in certain area.

chachee52
01-09-2014, 04:41 PM
Its funny how they increase the speed limit on this stretch of highway where there are a ton of accidents due to speed, but keep the lake speed limit at 45 mph during the day where there is less than 1% of accidents due to speed. Got to love NH! Live free of Die..... Unless we decide we don't want you to live free

390gtconv
01-09-2014, 07:34 PM
So you can hit the moose faster. lol

TorchredSVT
01-10-2014, 10:06 AM
Its funny how they increase the speed limit on this stretch of highway where there are a ton of accidents due to speed, but keep the lake speed limit at 45 mph during the day where there is less than 1% of accidents due to speed. Got to love NH! Live free of Die..... Unless we decide we don't want you to live free

did you seriously just compare the speed limit on a lake to the speed limit on 93? LOL

chachee52
01-10-2014, 04:27 PM
did you seriously just compare the speed limit on a lake to the speed limit on 93? LOL
Yup, seeing that the reason that Lynch said the speed limit on the lake was needed was because of all the speed accidents. The fact of the matter is that Marine Patrol has had insignificant amount of accidents because of speed. How many car accidents along that stretch of highway are because of speed? I would guess a lot more (percentage, I understand there are more car accidents). I also understand that Lynch is no longer Governor, but it's still the same state that makes no sense of what their rules are sometimes.

Jibber
01-10-2014, 08:53 PM
Yup, seeing that the reason that Lynch said the speed limit on the lake was needed was because of all the speed accidents. The fact of the matter is that Marine Patrol has had insignificant amount of accidents because of speed. How many car accidents along that stretch of highway are because of speed? I would guess a lot more (percentage, I understand there are more car accidents). I also understand that Lynch is no longer Governor, but it's still the same state that makes no sense of what their rules are sometimes.

Speed + booze+ speed + more booze + more speed divided by being cocked = accidents.
IMO a few of the boaters ruin it for the masses. Because of the non scientific formula above something had to be done.
I applaud this rule change. Come to think of it, has there been an accident on the lake since this took affect?

chachee52
01-10-2014, 09:01 PM
Speed + booze+ speed + more booze + more speed divided by being cocked = accidents.
IMO a few of the boaters ruin it for the masses. Because of the non scientific formula above something had to be done.
I applaud this rule change. Come to think of it, has there been an accident on the lake since this took affect?

Um.... Yup, and just like the others, not speed related. It's more about stupid people that don't know how to navigate. There was the guy on the jetski that smashed into the rocks and him and his kid had to airlifted out this past summer in Moultonboro, there was the father that ran over his kid while tubing/skiing in Paugus bay last summer. Neither of those were speed related.
And yes booze is a big factor in other accidents. Even the one that "started" the law the person wasn't speeding as the law is written now. So, your statement does not hold any stance, even the Chief of Marine Patrol disagrees with the speed law. All it did was stop people from taking their boats to the big lake = less revenue for NH and the economy around the lake.
As many people here know, I'm not very political, but you will never convince me that what you said makes sense when all the reports say that speed is not a factor in 99+% of boating accidents. It's mostly user error (and yes that includes booze).
And if your math is correct, then why the hell would you increase the speed limit a highway that a TON of drunk drivers get into accidents all the time? In fact, didn't a cop JUST get hit by a drunk driver speeding at the Tilton exit like last week?

TorchredSVT
01-13-2014, 08:46 AM
well why not make the testing and license criteria more difficult in NH?

I know plenty of people who have jet ski's and boats and don't register them in MA, but register in NH becuase of how lax it is.

SVT10th
01-13-2014, 09:14 AM
well why not make the testing and license criteria more difficult in NH?

I know plenty of people who have jet ski's and boats and don't register them in MA, but register in NH becuase of how lax it is.

Because LIVE FREE OR DIE -- that's why. We don't need more laws legislating things that don't need to be legislated.

A lot of this ridiculous nanny-state bullcrap -- like lake speed limits on something the size of Winni -- is the result of the influx of Massachusetts "immigrants" over the last 10-15 years who moved away from Mass because they didn't like it for one reason or another... but bizarrely are trying their damndest to turn NH into the Massachusetts they fled.

Jibber
01-13-2014, 10:07 AM
Um.... Yup, and just like the others, not speed related. It's more about stupid people that don't know how to navigate. There was the guy on the jetski that smashed into the rocks and him and his kid had to airlifted out this past summer in Moultonboro, there was the father that ran over his kid while tubing/skiing in Paugus bay last summer. Neither of those were speed related.OK
And yes booze is a big factor in other accidents. Even the one that "started" the law the person wasn't speeding as the law is written now. So, your statement does not hold any stance, even the Chief of Marine Patrol disagrees with the speed law. I wonder why. Has he stated his reasons? All it did was stop people from taking their boats to the big lake = less revenue for NH and the economy around the lake.You have no facts to support this statement. How do you know that more people with the "smaller" boats haven't filled that void knowing that the loser with the Cigarette boat won't be out there
As many people here know, I'm not very political,Really? but you will never convince me that what you said makes sense when all the reports say that speed is not a factor in 99+% of boating accidents. It's mostly user error (and yes that includes booze).Just because I'm knew to boating shouldn't cause me to have to die because I make a mistake and get run over by the guy going 55-60 in his boat. That doesn't seem fair
And if your math is correct, then why the hell would you increase the speed limit a highway that a TON of drunk drivers get into accidents all the time? In fact, didn't a cop JUST get hit by a drunk driver speeding at the Tilton exit like last week?Less people travel on this section of the highway.

chachee52
01-13-2014, 02:29 PM
Less people travel on this section of the highway.

Last post for me on this subject::
Ian, NH Does have a boating licence for all people driving the boat no matter where they register it. Does this mean that people do get the license? No it doesn't, but they are supposed to.
Jibber: The Cheif of Marine Partol was instructed to perform a 3 year study on the topic of speed and accidents. His statements were that the research does show that speed WAS NOT the cause of 99%+ of the accidents. It has been researched and documented. So you being a "New boater" and getting run over is not the cause of the accidents. Has it happened a couple tiems in the past 10 years. I can name 1 that the owner's son of one of the marina's ran over a smaller boat right at dusk, but again it was documented that speed WAS NOT the issue he was not going faster than the now 45 mph limit. You have more of a chance getting hit on the road, percentage wise, than getting hit on a boat.
And I do have proof that less people are boating on the lake. I live on the lake, and have seen many business that support boaters go out of business. And see regularly how there are less boats out on the lake on what usually is a busy weekend (July 4th weekend for example).
Hoenstly I don't care that the speed limit got bumped up to 70. People don't go that slow anyway on that stretch and it is pretty crowded during the summer. I just think that it's a little hyparitical of them to increase the speed on a bad section of the hightway and decrease it on the lake where there aren't many accidents.
I'm done.

TorchredSVT
01-14-2014, 08:37 AM
well, I don't own a boat and i don't travel on that section of 93 frequently AND i live in MA...so I am just trying to play both sides of the fence here

ultimately, I don't really care either way

07 stang gt
01-14-2014, 03:54 PM
When I bought my jetski back in 2008, it was the first year you HAD to have a boating liscence before you hit the water, just like you have a drivers liscence to be on the road. An online course needed to be taken and passed, then you had to go to the NH Fish and Game Dept. to take an other test, which you needed an 80% to pass.If you did not pass, no liscence, and believe me, there were some people there that did not pass and were pissed. But, it does make you feel a little better knowing that you need a decent amount of knowledge before you hit the water.Before, anyone of age could drive a boat. OUCH!! So back to my original question, did anyone know the speed limit changed on RTE. 93 north ????!!!!!!

Dennis O'Shea
01-14-2014, 04:11 PM
They do now

When I bought my jetski back in 2008, it was the first year you HAD to have a boating liscence before you hit the water, just like you have a drivers liscence to be on the road. An online course needed to be taken and passed, then you had to go to the NH Fish and Game Dept. to take an other test, which you needed an 80% to pass.If you did not pass, no liscence, and believe me, there were some people there that did not pass and were pissed. But, it does make you feel a little better knowing that you need a decent amount of knowledge before you hit the water.Before, anyone of age could drive a boat. OUCH!! So back to my original question, did anyone know the speed limit changed on RTE. 93 north ????!!!!!!

chachee52
01-14-2014, 08:49 PM
I did not know that they were going to increase the speed limit. Also haven't been up there this year yet. Every time I go to go up something comes up that I can't make it up North. Soon though!!!!

SVT10th
01-15-2014, 12:03 PM
...So back to my original question, did anyone know the speed limit changed on RTE. 93 north ????!!!!!!

I read a news item about it last summer (june?) when the bill was passed.
I like the idea of it, but I don't think it's going to change driving habits much since most people are already doing 75 through that area. The police might start a more stringent enforcement policy, but you shouldn't be driving like an idiot anyway.....

Jibber
01-15-2014, 09:45 PM
I was just on this stretch of 93 on Monday. It was pretty cool setting cruise control at 74 and letting it fly.

TorchredSVT
01-16-2014, 09:05 AM
funny thing is most of my highway driving is done with cruise control at that exact speed

Jibber
01-17-2014, 08:11 AM
funny thing is most of my highway driving is done with cruise control at that exact speed

True, but i wasnt constantly "looking" ahead or nervous coming up on the middle cut through roads where they camp out.

chachee52
01-19-2014, 09:49 PM
Got to drive on that road this weekend and I must say......... its exactly like it was. No one noticed the change in speed limit and everyone was still just going 75-80 as they usually do. So now they just get a little less of a ticket for doing that speed :confused: