PDA

View Full Version : Kudos

chachee52
12-17-2013, 08:06 PM
So I just got home from work and followed a '06-07 Mustang on Shurburn Rd in Pelham heading to Hudson. If anyone is familiar with this road you know it's mostly up hill and curvy. It chugged the whole road doing about 15-20 mph and didn't get stuck once. I was VERY surprised and impressed with this person's ability to make it up this road in these conditions. I was two cars behind it and couldn't tell if it was a 6cyl or a GT but still.
Hats off and much respect.

LILBLKSNAKE
12-17-2013, 08:29 PM
It wasn't Ian or Jibber!!

390gtconv
12-17-2013, 10:19 PM
So I just got home from work and followed a '06-07 Mustang on Shurburn Rd in Pelham heading to Hudson. If anyone is familiar with this road you know it's mostly up hill and curvy. It chugged the whole road doing about 15-20 mph and didn't get stuck once. I was VERY surprised and impressed with this person's ability to make it up this road in these conditions. I was two cars behind it and couldn't tell if it was a 6cyl or a GT but still.
Hats off and much respect.

Often tell people it's nice to have a good winter type vehicle, but whether it's 2, 4 wheel, all wheel, it's all important to what type of tires and how good they are that matter a lot.

ToplessPony94
12-17-2013, 11:53 PM
Often tell people it's nice to have a good winter type vehicle, but whether it's 2, 4 wheel, all wheel, it's all important to what type of tires and how good they are that matter a lot.

Yes! I am certain that I would not have made it home tonight if I still had the Goodyear Integrity (or whatever they are) on the Prius. Changed to General Altimax about a month ago and what a difference! The Generals are not really a low rolling resistance tire, so it cost me a couple of miles per gallon but it was a good trade-off!

whtmare
12-18-2013, 07:14 AM

So true my forester is horrible with all season radials in the snow. My wife's acura tl with 4 snow tires blows it away...

TorchredSVT
12-18-2013, 08:47 AM
It wasn't Ian or Jibber!!

Hell no! My GMC performed flawlessly yesterday , AWD FTW

ToplessPony94
12-18-2013, 11:19 AM
So true my forester is horrible with all season radials in the snow. My wife's acura tl with 4 snow tires blows it away...

Interesting. My wife's Forester is fantastic in snow/ice with the same General Altimax tires that I just put on the Prius.

390gtconv
12-18-2013, 01:20 PM

Yup, back to what I said, even though some say "ALL season" they still may suck in snow. Gotta look at tread pattern and traction ratings.

KARMAN
12-18-2013, 05:41 PM
One of the guys I work with runs his V6 year round.
He has good tires and claims he can climb hills his wife's Focus has trouble with.

whtmare
12-18-2013, 07:24 PM
Yup, back to what I said, even though some say "ALL season" they still may suck in snow. Gotta look at tread pattern and traction ratings.

Just put a pretty aggressive snow tire on today....will report back next snow

TorchredSVT
12-19-2013, 08:42 AM
wifes 2010 impreza is a champ in the snow as well, we'll never not own atleast one subaru in our house

hell, I have been toying with the idea of selling my GMC and picking up a used subaru myself!

Jibber
12-19-2013, 09:08 AM

I cant agree more with this. I know this first hand. My Jeep Gr. Cherokee used to be awesome in snow. I went with a cheaper tire, saved 200 bucks, and it drove like crap after that in the snow.

whtmare
01-02-2014, 09:14 PM
Just an update on this thread my suby with snow tires on it is amazing in the snow probally better than my 4 wheel drive ranger ...

390gtconv
01-03-2014, 06:41 AM
Just an update on this thread my suby with snow tires on it is amazing in the snow probally better than my 4 wheel drive ranger ...
Now put same type tires on the Ranger & you'd have 2 vehicles that are equal.
Tires, tires, tires .. it's not whether it's an AWD Fusion or a Subaru, it's tires.
Reminds me of the recent stupid Toyota commercial with car doing a traction test on ice. It's NOT the car you praise, it's the tires and how new they are!!

fredfordguy
01-03-2014, 07:27 PM
The uglier and aggressive the winter tire the better in snow. I have a set of winters on steel rims for my wife's Taurus, it's been a champ in the snow for many years

Bob Comire
01-04-2014, 09:48 AM
Had a set of Blizzaks on my 2WD Sonoma, got 10 winters out of them, and they would go through anything. Highly recommended.

KARMAN
01-04-2014, 11:32 AM
Had a set of Blizzaks on my 2WD Sonoma, got 10 winters out of them, and they would go through anything. Highly recommended.
I ran a 2WD Ranger with aggressive tires and 300Lbs. in the back for many years before I switched back to an SUV. Passed many a 4X4 with ease.