PDA

View Full Version : Official 2013/14 Winter Weather Thread

ToplessPony94
12-14-2013, 10:23 PM
Time to start the next one of these!

http://i294.photobucket.com/albums/mm81/ToplessPony94/Misc/WinterSucks.jpg (http://s294.photobucket.com/user/ToplessPony94/media/Misc/WinterSucks.jpg.html)

390gtconv
12-15-2013, 06:35 AM
Well GOOD news, NO bugs!!!
Hard for Cops to do speed traps with snow banks!

But another possible smaller snow storm this Tue nite 12/17.
Tuesday: Cloudy & cold with light snow developing mid afternoon and lasting until midnight. Looks like 2-5" of snow by midnight---evening commute could be dicey. Temps in the low 20s for highs!

Sure would hate to have Ian miss all this snow since he's away.

chachee52
12-15-2013, 08:34 AM
Was driving home From Salem MA last night around midnight. At that time there was a surprising amount of cars on 128 and I only saw one spin out. I actually stayed at the party an extra hour to allow all the other people a little more time to get off the road. Also that's when the hosts brought out the good Scotch!!!!!
But I love driving in the middle of a snow storm.
Now I just have to train my dog that its OK to go to the bathroom in the snow and he doesn't have to hold it for 20 hours!!

390gtconv
12-15-2013, 12:06 PM
Was driving home From Salem MA last night around midnight. At that time there was a surprising amount of cars on 128 and I only saw one spin out. I actually stayed at the party an extra hour to allow all the other people a little more time to get off the road. Also that's when the hosts brought out the good Scotch!!!!!
But I love driving in the middle of a snow storm.
Now I just have to train my dog that its OK to go to the bathroom in the snow and he doesn't have to hold it for 20 hours!!

I don't mind driving in it either especially if I'm driving my truck. I actually carry heavy chains to pull cars out.
I remember when my wife (gf at the time) I used to drive to Umass Amherst on Fri to pick her up & come back to Methuen. Then I was driving my new '81 Camaro and there was a big snow storm. It snowed so hard, one of the worst I've driven in, that had no idea where highway was. I actually had to look for bridge uprights and aim between them. Took like 4 hrs.

07 stang gt
12-16-2013, 08:00 AM
Time to bring out the snowmobiles !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!:):p:o

chachee52
12-16-2013, 04:22 PM
Time to bring out the snowmobiles !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!:):p:o

That's the next toy on the list. Grew up with them, and then my dad sold them when I was 16 because no one used them. So Just as I was able to drive them to places to use them, I didn't have them. I do miss them a lot, but the last few years I'm glad I didn't have them. No ice on the lake to use them.
More snow tomorrow WOOOOOOT

TorchredSVT
12-16-2013, 05:04 PM
That's the next toy on the list. Grew up with them, and then my dad sold them when I was 16 because no one used them. So Just as I was able to drive them to places to use them, I didn't have them. I do miss them a lot, but the last few years I'm glad I didn't have them. No ice on the lake to use them.
More snow tomorrow WOOOOOOT

I am in the same boat.....few of my buddies have them and want me to get one to join in on the winter time fun....it's tempting and i need a hobby between Nov - March. We'll see.......
I might make a trip up north and rent one to see if its something I'd want to buy full time first though........

390gtconv
12-17-2013, 07:08 AM
Keep in mind if you get back into snowmobiles, you'll need a friend that can haul them or you'll need a trailer & something to tow it with.

Same here I had them in my younger days until the kids were born. Sold them but knew better and kept my nice aluminum 2 place trailer. It's come in handy for other things over the yrs.

chachee52
12-17-2013, 07:57 AM
Keep in mind if you get back into snowmobiles, you'll need a friend that can haul them or you'll need a trailer & something to tow it with.

Same here I had them in my younger days until the kids were born. Sold them but knew better and kept my nice aluminum 2 place trailer. It's come in handy for other things over the yrs.

I have a trailer hitch for the mustang so I can tow with that :)
My Escape has a trailer hitch, and I have a utility trailer that can fit one sled, not ideal but its been done until I get a double trailer.
Plus I grew up just keeping it at lake Winni and mostly used it there. I'd probably do the same thing at my house and at Lake Winni.

390gtconv
12-17-2013, 08:03 AM
I have a trailer hitch for the mustang so I can tow with that :)
My Escape has a trailer hitch, and I have a utility trailer that can fit one sled, not ideal but its been done until I get a double trailer.
Plus I grew up just keeping it at lake Winni and mostly used it there. I'd probably do the same thing at my house and at Lake Winni.

If you plan to use it "just on the lake" then then your riding season has to wait until it freezes. I'd guess some riding can be done around the lake. I used to like trailering to Ossipee & up in the Franconia Notch. Like riding different locations. At the base of Cog Rail Way, is great number of trails. All kinds of riding.

Plus since my wife got into it, you have the expense of 2 machines plus the trailer and fees.
Was fun thought to stay at a place for a weekend and both of us just ride.

TorchredSVT
12-17-2013, 08:49 AM

that's my dilemma, my GMC has a tow capacity of 1500 lbs( 4cyl ), so i could get away with an open trailer and a single sled....BUT, I'd rather not leave it in the yard for everyone to see all year. As mentioned, I might make a trip with friends and rent one first to see if its worth the purchase

chachee52
12-17-2013, 06:19 PM
that's my dilemma, my GMC has a tow capacity of 1500 lbs( 4cyl ), so i could get away with an open trailer and a single sled....BUT, I'd rather not leave it in the yard for everyone to see all year. As mentioned, I might make a trip with friends and rent one first to see if its worth the purchase
That's plenty big enough to tow 2 sleds. My parents used to tow 2 sleds with the celebrity wagon, and before that a bigger Chevy wagon. Sled don't weigh too much.

And George, I agree with the season being short when just doing ice. But remember it was when I was a kid and we had winters and there would be ice for New Years on the lake. Now we are lucky if it happens by the end of Jan. Although the lake I live next to is frozen now, it just happened so it's less than an inch and now covered with snow will delay it getting thicker.

390gtconv
12-17-2013, 06:51 PM
Things to consider Ian. Back in my younger days, my 1st Yamaha sled was all steel, heavy. Sucked lifting out of 2 feet of snow stuck.
Then later had 2 lighter aluminum Yamaha sleds. less weight, although many trailers are steel. I'm all for less maintainance & rust so my 2 place trailer is aluminum.

So if you pick lighter models, aluminum trailer, with no nose cover, open, you'd do ok. Don't forget all the gear you gotta also carry. Your vehicle won't scream up hills but should get there.

Todd, get a trailer and you can go to diff trails not water related, tons of places with groomed trails.

whtmare
12-17-2013, 07:59 PM
I haul a ton of wood pellets on a 2 place snomobile trailer with my Subaru it's a lease :D

It's an all aluminum yacht club from 1984 still works great.

chachee52
12-17-2013, 07:59 PM
Todd, get a trailer and you can go to diff trails not water related, tons of places with groomed trails.

I have a trailer

390gtconv
12-17-2013, 10:16 PM
I have a trailer
Then if you had a sled, you'd be riding almost anywhere.

chachee52
12-17-2013, 10:59 PM
Then if you had a sled, you'd be riding almost anywhere.

Agreed, that's why I'm upset my father sold the sleds just before I got my license!!!!

TorchredSVT
12-18-2013, 08:49 AM
hrmmm, good to know. I'll have to start looking around

ToplessPony94
01-07-2014, 11:53 AM
Just sayin...

chachee52
01-07-2014, 01:34 PM
Just sayin...

I don't get it? What are you trying to say?
I've been to Hell, nice place. Lots of seafood places to eat at.

390gtconv
01-07-2014, 01:56 PM
19661967Ya it's in Mich.

chachee52
01-07-2014, 05:21 PM
Also Hell in Grand Cayman. And Mich does have a lot of sea food, it's just fresh water sea food. :p