PDA

View Full Version : Where'd everybody go?

SVT10th
11-05-2013, 08:33 AM
No posts since Sunday.....

Hello.....?

chachee52
11-05-2013, 09:02 AM
Hi! I took today off so I am home. Might take the car for a little cruise this afternoon if I get what I want done around the house.

Jibber
11-05-2013, 09:07 AM
Season has been winding down with alot of focus on fall sports and cleaning up the freakin leaves and pine needles. I hate this time of year just for that reason.

I'm hearing rumors that the club forum here will be killed off due to lack of participation and interest..... FB crowd only. I'm sure there must be some expense to maintain this site?

Plus, you have to remember, we use to have alot more input from Big mouthes like OShea and ED who have all but been silenced on here.....Go figure.

rhoidahl
11-05-2013, 09:23 AM
No plans to close the Forum site at this time ... though it would be nice to have just one avenue for communications instead of the three we currently use, the three being Facebook, the Forum and E-mail. We'll see ...

390gtconv
11-05-2013, 10:26 AM
No plans to close the Forum site at this time ... though it would be nice to have just one avenue for communications instead of the three we currently use, the three being Facebook, the Forum and E-mail. We'll see ...
Remember my other post, FACEBOOK a fad..

SVT10th
11-05-2013, 11:08 AM

Maybe we should use the... AHEM.... Pony Express. :p

ToplessPony94
11-05-2013, 12:01 PM
Been busy getting ready for winter. After the fuel debacle I had at BK before the Sunapee cruise, I hope to have some stuff to post as soon as tonight on that one. In a few days at the latest.

chachee52
11-05-2013, 12:03 PM
I'm still here and plan to be here. Why put rumors out there when it's not needed.

ToplessPony94
11-05-2013, 12:07 PM

Thanks, Randy, glad to hear that. I won't do FB, so I expect it would be hard to continue with the club if I could only get info there. (I still think that club's FB page should not require FB membership to just view, but I don't want to start urinary olympics over that.)

Jibber
11-05-2013, 01:13 PM
I'm still here and plan to be here. Why put rumors out there when it's not needed.

Listen, I'm not trying to ruffle any feathers here.... It was mentioned by Randy at a recent breakfast in Chester NH as a possiblity of happening. It's as simple as that.

Re-read how his post in this thread reads. To me it sounds like it's still on the table for discussion.

rhoidahl
11-05-2013, 01:18 PM
Bruce --maybe I'm wrong, but I think it is a Facebook requirement to be a member to view anyone's Facebook page. Once you register with Facebook, you then connect by sending a friend request. Once the recipient accepts your friend request, you can then view each other's Facebook page and postings. Signing up on Facebook doesn't mean you have to be friends with everyone. You could connect with only the Mustang Club Facebook page and those would be the only postings you would see ... ... ...

ToplessPony94
11-05-2013, 01:39 PM
Bruce --maybe I'm wrong, but I think it is a Facebook requirement to be a member to view anyone's Facebook page. Once you register with Facebook, you then connect by sending a friend request. Once the recipient accepts your friend request, you can then view each other's Facebook page and postings. Signing up on Facebook doesn't mean you have to be friends with everyone. You could connect with only the Mustang Club Facebook page and those would be the only postings you would see ... ... ...

Randy, since I'm not a member of FB, I won't even think about claiming to be an expert on how it works. All I know is that I can view (but not do anything else) the FB pages of most (but not all) businesses as a non-member. Perhaps I'm wrong in thinking this is possible for all pages. Perhaps the businesses pay some fee for that access. I don't know - I just assumed it can be done. And we all know about ass-u-me, right?

SVT10th
11-05-2013, 02:21 PM
It depends on the security settings of the entity you're viewing.

A business (of course) would not want any restrictions on viewing their profile. A person can tighten up their security to the point of near-invisibility.

For instance -- if you're not friends with me on FB, you can't see any more than my most basic details (name, town, etc) And that only because I specifically left that information open so people can search for me and ask to be friends. Non-friends cannot see my posts, pictures, etc.

However, I will also register my displeasure at the idea of doing away with the forum. I can't access facebook from work, (and have too little signal to do it over my 3G connection) and once I'm home I'm rarely on the computer.

ToplessPony94
11-05-2013, 04:13 PM
However, I will also register my displeasure at the idea of doing away with the forum. I can't access facebook from work, (and have too little signal to do it over my 3G connection) and once I'm home I'm rarely on the computer.

Yes, I hadn't even thought of that. FB and a whole bunch of other stuff is blocked at work, which is where I mostly connect from (except weekends, of course). And I surely don't have the patience for using my phone to connect, though it would possibly work.

rhoidahl
11-05-2013, 07:24 PM
OK, let's back-track a bit here. As far as I know, there is no thought to do away with the Forum. I apologize for any confusion my comments at our breakfast may have generated. Some people prefer the Forum, some prefer Facebook. Each has it's own advantages and disadvantages. But I agree we need both, to be sure we are in touch with as many members as possible. That being said, you can continue to find club updates on both Facebook and the Forum. For those who are interested in the numbers:
The club Facebook page has 135 members; the Forum has 91 members.
Of the Forums 91 members, only 14 (15%) as classified as "senior" members (classed by the number of posts made, I think it is over 100)
Of the Forums 91 members, 67 (or 74%) have less than 20 posts made since the Forum was established

390gtconv
11-05-2013, 08:07 PM
Wow, with no Red Sox game on, Randy has some spare time for numbers. lol

Jibber
11-05-2013, 08:31 PM
Wow, with no Red Sox game on, Randy has some spare time for numbers. lol

Randys numbers are enlightening for sure. Thanks for the info. It works both ways. My wife is a follower on FB, but never tells me whats going on over there. haha. The point is shes a follower but is not participating much like we have here on the forum.

I thought the disparity between the two would have been greater. People on the forum are way cooler IMO anyways. LOL

FB has one advantage over the forum. Constant posts from the PREZ!!!

SVT10th
11-06-2013, 08:29 AM
Randy
A possible solution, or at least a way to reduce the amount of double-posting you need to do, would be to display a feed of the Club FB Page posts in a sidebar of the Forum.
You'd need Jay to build this in, but there appear to be a few different "add-ons" to the forum software to allow this.
For example:
http://www.vbulletin.org/forum/showthread.php?t=241913

rhoidahl
11-06-2013, 08:40 AM
Randy
A possible solution, or at least a way to reduce the amount of double-posting you need to do, would be to display a feed of the Club FB Page posts in a sidebar of the Forum.
You'd need Jay to build this in, but there appear to be a few different "add-ons" to the forum software to allow this.
For example:
http://www.vbulletin.org/forum/showthread.php?t=241913

Jim, sound like a great idea but this is w-a-y beyond me; but we would somehow need to restrict what Forum postings are automatically sent to the club Facebook page. Certainly do not want all Forum postings also posted to FB. Maybe Jay can chime in on this ... ... ...

SVT10th
11-06-2013, 10:25 AM
Jim, sound like a great idea but this is w-a-y beyond me; but we would somehow need to restrict what Forum postings are automatically sent to the club Facebook page. Certainly do not want all Forum postings also posted to FB. Maybe Jay can chime in on this ... ... ...

No, I believe it works in the other direction -- it displays the club Facebook posts on the forum in a sidebar or window.

TorchredSVT
11-06-2013, 03:12 PM
hahah this is what happens when i disapear for a while....JK

Got a new job and was in new hire training this week , so I haven't been around at all.
I typically only check the forum M-F anyways.........

In my opinion, having a blend between the two forums of media is important. I would expect it will stay that way