PDA

View Full Version : Car cover question --- should i get indoor or outdoor?

TorchredSVT
10-28-2013, 01:13 PM
I need a new car cover...one i have now just doesn't cut it.

I was looking at car covers at california car cover and covercraft and noticed thier indoor covers don't offer much protection against water.

So my heres my question: Is it stupid to spend $350 - $400 on an indoor only cover when for the same price I can get one with some weather protection?

My car is a garage queen, I put at most 2k miles per year on it....BUT, is it wise to get a cover that offers zero water resistance? I plan on staying at my house, nor will my car ever be sitting outside over night. I just figure in case of water damage in the house or whatever..might be nice to have the extra protection.

Is the extra protection is worth it? Stupid to get an "indoor only" Or am I over thinking it lol

ToplessPony94
10-28-2013, 02:55 PM
Probably over thinking it. But I don't know your house. Any plumbing above the garage? If yes, then I would get one with water protection. Best to be prepared. Also think about storm damage to roof.

Dennis O'Shea
10-28-2013, 03:10 PM
Buy the Flannel lined one no protection for out door's but its great for indoor's The flannel is easy on the paint surfaces I had one for my Cobra it was awesome. like you it never was out side And California Cover's is where I got mine

390gtconv
10-28-2013, 04:35 PM
Your car is gonna sit inside a nice garage, I've seen it. As said don't over complicate this. Your goal is to keep it from getting scratched when dusty. I'd get a nice lined indoor cover. End of story.
Don't be doing "what IF".
What if someone driving into your driveway, looses control, goes thru garage door, hits car?
What if a house fire, you're not home, fire dept comes, wets everything? BTW your car it NOT made of sugar, it won't melt IF it got wet. If so, wipe it!
What if bullets come thru garage door hit paint?
What if........ it's why you have insurance.

LILBLKSNAKE
10-28-2013, 05:45 PM
Don't spend any money until you come by my house. I have a real nice one, brand new from FORD that was made for 05-09 but fits our cars fine. Very nice quality. You're welcome to have it seeing this will be the 2nd winter I dump my car at Dan's

Jibber
10-28-2013, 06:53 PM
What if someone driving into your driveway, looses control, goes thru garage door, hits car?

With ED as a potential house visitor you never know what could happen. Remember last years fiasco with his Jeep getting stuck in your back yard? Lol

chachee52
10-28-2013, 08:26 PM
Auto Zone has a water resistant cover for about $50. I've had three of them and it works fine in the garage and when I take it up to the lake. The first one was when I first bought the car and it was outside all the time, the top wore out because of the black top getting too hot in the direct sun. The other's are still in good shape I just keep a spare in case I need another one up at the lake. It's worked well in T-storms and is good when there's wind too.
For what you need, I can't see spending $350, but its your money.

07 stang gt
10-29-2013, 05:59 AM
Hey Ed, if Ian does not want the cover and you are still willing to give it up , I will take it for my 07.

SVT10th
10-29-2013, 08:03 AM
Ian,
I have two of the "stormweave" outdoor-rated covers. Of course, my "temporary" garage (canvas Quonset Hut looking kind) isn't as tightly enclosed as yours, but i still use the heavier cover and I still recommend it for you.
They are soft-lined as well as thick and cushy, while still having a tough outer liner. The thicker material will protect the car better in the event of a door ding from another car, or a scrape from moving something near the car. Well worth it in my opinion.

TorchredSVT
10-29-2013, 09:12 AM
Ian,
I have two of the "stormweave" outdoor-rated covers. Of course, my "temporary" garage (canvas Quonset Hut looking kind) isn't as tightly enclosed as yours, but i still use the heavier cover and I still recommend it for you.
They are soft-lined as well as thick and cushy, while still having a tough outer liner. The thicker material will protect the car better in the event of a door ding from another car, or a scrape from moving something near the car. Well worth it in my opinion.

You are the second person whose brought that point up......probably the direction I'll go in

Todd, I have been using an autozone $80 cover for the past two years.......it cuases alot of swirls in the paint over the winter just becuase it's not fully lined. I can't continue to store the car with that cover.

Since Tricia and I are also talking about having a kid sometime soon....I also want something I can keep on the car year round cuase I prob won't be driving it much with a baby ( yikes, scary )

whtmare
10-29-2013, 05:07 PM
Kids will make you want to drive it more !! Release lol

390gtconv
10-29-2013, 05:34 PM
Kids will make you want to drive it more !! Release lol

Hell, they'll wanna borrow it. hehehehe

rhoidahl
10-29-2013, 07:59 PM
My thought is simple -- you get what you pay for. I'd go for the better cover; better to be overprotected than underprotected. With that car, why take a chance...

And 2000 miles this season, that's a lot for you Ian ... ... ...

TorchredSVT
10-30-2013, 09:17 AM
And 2000 miles this season, that's a lot for you Ian ... ... ...

tell me about it!!!