PDA

View Full Version : Newsletter editor-questions and comment

Jibber
10-10-2013, 09:14 AM
As the club is seeking a Newsletter editor, perhaps someone can list out what type of skill is needed to perform in this role....

Is there a specific software that is used?
Where is information sourced from?

Or... Do you think that the newsletter should go the way of the Dodo bird as FB and the forum keeps everyone up to date with information? Or, Should it become a quarterly newsletter?.....

Thoughts?

SVT10th
10-10-2013, 01:27 PM
Obviously being able to write well, and having a handle on spelling/grammar are the biggest necessary skills.
I don't know what Jeff was using -- I suspect MS Word or similar. Then it's converted to PDF.
When I did the newsletter, I used Pagemaker, but these days Word can do most of the same functions.

Not to discourage anyone, but it is a LOT of time and effort. And (for now) it is a year-round responsibility. I'd guess that I put about 12-15 hours per month into it -- including research, browsing for news/humor/just-plain-interesting content, adapting (rare) member submitted content, writing original content and then putting it all together, formatting it and sending it out.

Most of all you have to enjoy it. It's quite rewarding when you get positive feedback.

ToplessPony94
10-10-2013, 01:45 PM
Jim has it 100% correct IMHO. I help my wife do one of these monthly for her HR group and it takes a lot of effort and chasing. No one gives you what you need in time, even if it's their responsibility to do so. As for those who just volunteer content - well, good luck with that. I greatly respect what Jeff has done and what Jim did before that. I will be sure to volunteer (seriously, sincerely) to help with that just as soon as I retire (LOL!) as I surely can't fit it into the life I have before then.