PDA

View Full Version : School me on F250 engines...

Jibber
10-09-2013, 09:31 PM
Thinking about my next vehicle...... I really want/like the Ford SuperDuty F250. I'm probably 9-12 monthes away from any deal making, so I wanted to get a little research done prior. (I know that an F250 is probably overkill for my needs right now but I want to get it to be able to tow the car with ease.)

My main question is about the engines..... Gas vs Diesel?
What are some Pros and Cons between the two that I should consider? Seems like diesel equipped trucks command slightly higher prices.

Thanks.

390gtconv
10-09-2013, 11:10 PM
When you get closer to be serious, we can talk to my son Chris who is not only a heavy equipment diesel mechanic but owns an '01 7.3L F250.
Diesel engines if taken care of can run ~ 300K miles. He used to get ~ 20pmg's I think. Has some mods done. These vehicles are really made to be a work horse. Serious torque. Their ride quality not as nice as say an F150.
So looking new or used? If used, some yrs to stay away from. Looking to tow once or twice a yr? Gonna plow with it?
FYI I do fine towing once in a great while using my open flat trailer & F150. My son pulls my enclosed if need be.
FYI He pulls my trailer to Carlise with his F250, can't hardly tell trailer is behind the truck.

07 stang gt
10-10-2013, 06:39 AM
That is a long way out because there will be a new F150 out by then and possibly a bigger diesel for the new Superduty by then. If your looking to keep the truck for a while, the diesel is the way to go, especially if towing your car in an enclosed trailer. The F150 w/the ecoboost motor can tow your car without any issue as well,open trailer, so depends on what you plan on doing in the long run with your truck. If going used, try to stay away from the 6.0 liter diesel, huge problems with injectors etc. We would start them at the shop before we were ready to install a body on them and they would sound like the pistons were going to shoot through the hood!!Dealers reported many issues with them , got better with the 6.4 liter(the last motor International built for Ford ), but the new 6.7 liter diesel (BUILT BY FORD!!!) is a great motor. Very quiet, decent gas mileage, reports of 20 mpg's in a pickup, and expected to last 300,00 +miles.New diesels because of EPA restictions,(NO emmisions restrictions on the old 7.3 diesel) require a lot of maintance though. Oil changes run about $200.00, need to add DEF fluid as well, so look at the diesel as your long term, heavy hauler truck, and the F150 as more of your everyday nice cruising, but more than capable, truck.I work with all the Ford dealers in New England (and yes Autofair is one of my dealers, so lets not forget about Marie/Rick !!). let me know if I can help or if you just want to talk about the trucks, my cell is 978-836-8551.

Jibber
10-10-2013, 08:36 AM
Thanks guys..... I would be in the market for a used vehicle. probably 2-3 years old. The new vehicle prices on these things are outrageous. Let someone else take the depreciation hit.
I'm mainly looking at the F250 because I don't know which way I will go someday with regards to type of trailer I will get for the car. I like the idea of an enclosed trailer so I dont need to take up a garage bay all winter for my car. (like George does). I may want to add a plow as well.
Based on my needs I'm certainly open to an F150 as well.
I know the longevity of Diesel engines are great, however, I thought gas engines were turning very strong mileage performance as well.

I will talk to you guys more at length when I see you over the next few monthes and into next year. There is a ton to think about. Thanks again.

TorchredSVT
10-10-2013, 09:03 AM
I think it all depends on what you wanna do with the truck

I have a friend who bought a 10 year old diesel with 150k on the clock for short money to tow his boat. The thing was well maintained and did not miss a single beat this summer bringing the boat all over new england.