PDA

View Full Version : Car/aircraft show in Owl's Head, Maine

ToplessPony94
10-06-2013, 10:44 PM
Over the weekend I attended the 2 day show at the Owl's Head Transportation Museum in Owl's Head, ME.

The shows there are always amazing because they involve other vehicles than just cars. In particular, the museum owns or houses many vintage antique cars and aircraft. Amazingly, many of their vintage aircraft are still flight worthy and they actually fly them on a regular basis - every weekend that weather permits (though occasionally there are a couple that just won't start on a given weekend for some odd reason).

This year the cars driven to the show by exhibitors were somewhat of a disappointment, but the antiques owned by the museum are always worth the trip. Below are a few pictures from the weekend.

Motorized bicycle built for four. The first family sedan???

BMW Isetta

Clara Bow's Auburn Speedster

18621863186418651866186718681869187018711872187318 74

Curtiss "Pusher"

Other vintage aircraft. The first two are a Sopwith they recently acquired and a Fokker they have had for quite some time.

chachee52
10-07-2013, 08:01 AM
Looks like a cool place to go. Thanks for the pics!

SVT10th
10-07-2013, 08:35 AM
That's cool. A bunch of us went there after last years Craignair Inn weekend. It's a great museum. Nice to see that they take the cars and planes out and exercise them occasionally.

ToplessPony94
10-07-2013, 09:16 PM
Nice to see that they take the cars and planes out and exercise them occasionally.

Jim, they get out a lot more than occasionally if the weather is decent. Almost every weekend they take visitors (especially kids) for rides in the vintage vehicles. I saw a vintage one lung vehicle with no body, just two passenger seats up front and a driver in the rear (yup!) taking people for rides. The bicycle built for 4 was being ridden by staff without passengers. They had a vintage old Rolls giving rides, as well as the Isetta. I've seen them have contests for who can stay on an old high-wheeler "bone-shaker" bicycle for more than 15 seconds. And they take the planes up whenever they can. The Spads, Fokkers and Sopwiths are fairly common to see flying. It was a real treat that the wind died down enough for them to get the Curtiss Pusher up there - that's unusual!

Looks like a cool place to go. Thanks for the pics!

Todd, you should definitely take the trip. It's about 4 hours away from our area, and make sure it's decent flying weather when you go. As I said above, they fly the old stuff whenever they can. You can also buy a short ride in one or another of the bi-planes for reasonable coin if the weather is good.

Jibber
10-07-2013, 09:46 PM
Todd, you should definitely take the trip. It's about 4 hours away from our area, and make sure it's decent flying weather when you go. As I said above, they fly the old stuff whenever they can. You can also buy a short ride in one or another of the bi-planes for reasonable coin if the weather is good.

Since Ed has moved the Craignair trip to the Spring.... you might want to consider that trip and then go to the Museum.

ToplessPony94
10-07-2013, 09:59 PM
Since Ed has moved the Craignair trip to the Spring.... you might want to consider that trip and then go to the Museum.

Depends on when they schedule it. Owl's Head only has about one show every 3-4 weeks. Good idea if it happens to get scheduled on a weekend that has a show at Owl's Head!!! :cool: