PDA

View Full Version : Headlight cleaner

chachee52
06-15-2013, 12:07 PM
Ok, so I've seen a bunch of comercials on how to clean the lenses for the head lights that are all fogged. My cousin's car is pretty bad I was noticing.
So has anyone ever used any of these, and have they worked?
I've seen some that you put on by hand, some you use with a power drill. What works what is just a gel?

SVT10th
06-15-2013, 02:56 PM
before going and buying something specialized, try some toothpaste, or some of the Meguire's car polish that we bought for your Mustang last year.
You can do it by hand or with one of those Mothers polisher-ball things.
From what I've heard none of the products are permanent - they may last for a few to several months at a time.

KARMAN
06-15-2013, 03:57 PM
My friend who does this as part of his glass repair business, says that he uses a UV protection coating after he restores them and that makes it last a lot longer.
He did a set for a friend couple of years ago and they still look pretty good.

chachee52
06-15-2013, 05:43 PM
Cool, I will try the cheap things first and look into UV protectant.
She is one that doesn't take care of her cars too much to begin with, so I'm kind of just doing this for my own enjoyment really.

ToplessPony94
06-15-2013, 08:51 PM
http://www.griotsgarage.com/product/plastic+care+kit.do?sortby=ourPicks

This stuff did wonders on the tails of Lu Ann's previous car. Still looked good when we sold it three years later. I don't really see any reason it wouldn't do as well with headlights.

By all means, try the cheap stuff, but this would be a good fallback.

Dennis O'Shea
06-16-2013, 07:14 AM
Tood just got through reading in Mustang Proformance Meguirs has a product that seems pretty good and easy to use.They say you should reuse again when you wax the car

chachee52
06-16-2013, 08:00 AM
Tood just got through reading in Mustang Proformance Meguirs has a product that seems pretty good and easy to use.They say you should reuse again when you wax the car

I don't know that she knows what WAX is!!

TorchredSVT
06-19-2013, 09:34 AM
stay away from the crap you see on TV and the kits you buy at the auto stores...its all garbage