PDA

View Full Version : I can't believe it...... Rant content

Jibber
06-01-2013, 07:36 AM
So as some of you know, my daughter has the State final game for girls soccer today at Noon.
I know soccer is a tough sport (contrary to what most people think, it is) a they play in all elements except for thunder and lightning.

Rant content- I can't bellieve that they have not changed the time of this game today. High Noon with the current weather conditions is outrageous. To put players who are 14 and under in harms way due to the air quality, heat and humidity is not right.
This is not the International World cup finals that we are talking about. I'm sure the soccer officials are seeing the same weather reports that I am. An easy fix to all of this is to move the game to a later time when the temps drop a bit.
I have contacted my daughters coach and he said that he inquired about this but was told the game was still on at Noon. These guys are crazy....
Rant over...

Dennis O'Shea
06-01-2013, 07:57 AM
Lets Hope nothing happens to the kids I couldn't agree with you more. And if something does happen watch the finger pointing begin.Its unfortunate but its all about the game and winning the kids are an after thought .I wonder what would happen if the Parents all got together and sad its to hot and my child is not playing.Just a thought But there are parents who want to win at all cost.Pretty sad

chachee52
06-01-2013, 08:10 AM
Working in the sports rehab field for 10 years now I have seen this time and time again. They do it every Aug with Football practice. Most of the time they just don't wear pads.
I can continue to rant about kids sports, and the tournaments with 3-4 games played and kids playing in multiple teams at the same time.
Unfortunately Dennis, things do happen. More and more kids are getting hurt with injuries that used to be seen only by people 20+, now I'm seeing those injuries in 12 year olds.
So Kevin, I have ranted about this to coaches, and the officials of the leagues for years. It comes down to when can they get the fields and parents thinking that this is their kids future (this is a point, but the first is more the reason).
Bring LOTS of water and Gatorade

whtmare
06-01-2013, 09:20 AM
To hot that stinks...

LILBLKSNAKE
06-01-2013, 10:14 PM
We used to do double sessions for football in pads in this heat. Cost my parents about 50.00 a day in gatorade. I still say that it's light out til almost 9pm now and they can do a two hour delay!!

Jibber
06-02-2013, 07:19 PM
Thanks guys.
We played the game. Glad to report that every 15 mins they called time out and players got water breaks for 5 mins. You could tell the heat was affecting them as they didn't look so chiper as normal.

We ended up taking the top ranked team to OT. We were knotted up at the end of regulation 1-1.
They have 2 -15 mins OT periods if needed. It's NOT a sudden death situation.
The other team ended up winning 3-1 as they scored 2 goals in the OT.

It was a great game despite the outcome.

TorchredSVT
06-04-2013, 01:07 PM
glad to hear it worked out kev

my guess is the game time was not changed becuase of scheduling. If not, there is no excuse