PDA

View Full Version : Fire at Dealership

SVT10th
05-20-2013, 07:39 AM
Read this:
http://www.wmur.com/news/nh-news/fire-destroys-car-inside-manchester-auto-dealership/-/9857858/20208710/-/nwgmluz/-/index.html

Guess who now has a '90 GT as a daily driver....
Yeah.

ToplessPony94
05-20-2013, 07:45 AM
WOW! That's awful! Was it your car that caught fire, Jim?

SVT10th
05-20-2013, 01:53 PM
Yeah, just the other day the wife and I were making a joke about the Juke being a fiery, temperamental redhead..... Little did we know how fiery.

TorchredSVT
05-20-2013, 02:44 PM
woah wait a minute...so your juke actually caught fire? holy crap!

Why was it at the dealer?

ToplessPony94
05-20-2013, 03:00 PM
Yeah, just the other day the wife and I were making a joke about the Juke being a fiery, temperamental redhead..... Little did we know how fiery.

Well, I guess the good news is that you and your family were not in it at the time! Could have been much worse news! You getting another one or calling it a hint from above and moving on to something else?

Xerxeese
05-20-2013, 04:05 PM
If only Shell's Murano burned.... no more nissan in our household, how about you?
Glad you are ok !!

chachee52
05-20-2013, 06:28 PM
I heard about that fire!! Didn't know your car was in the shop. At least you do have other cars to tide you over until you get another car. Now you can get the Smart Car you wanted.

390gtconv
05-20-2013, 07:17 PM
Why does he need to use his other cars. The dealerships insurance owes a loaner car. Their issues, dealer needs to make customer happy or bye bye.

BTW did you like the car? How nothing of value left in it.

Blue95GT
05-20-2013, 07:31 PM
I heard about that fire!! Didn't know your car was in the shop. At least you do have other cars to tide you over until you get another car. Now you can get the Smart Car you wanted.
Don't knock the Smart Car!!!

I never thought I'd enjoy one, but I fricken love ours!

chachee52
05-20-2013, 07:58 PM
Don't knock the Smart Car!!!

I never thought I'd enjoy one, but I fricken love ours!

I'm not knocking it. I think that he should get one and supercharge it. He had a turbo juke, lets get a supercharged smart car. I actually was thinking about getting one before I got my second Escape. Was going to keep my old escape and then get a Smart car.

whtmare
05-20-2013, 08:22 PM
Ok I admit it I've looked at this thread a few times today scratching my head,I had to google what a juke was guess I'm not up on my imports...

SVT10th
05-20-2013, 09:45 PM
Mine looked pretty much exactly like this:
http://pictures4.us/wp-content/uploads/2011/08/nissan-juke_pic4_us3.jpg

It was a cool, fun car. Think the illegitimate love-child of a SUV and and a Mini Cooper. It had a 1.5L Turbo 4, pushing 188hp. Wasn't real fast by our standards, but no slouch in the world of pocket-rockets. It's best feature -- aside from the bionic frog styling -- was the Torque-vectoring All Wheel Drive stolen almost directly out of the Nissan GT-R supercar. It was absolutely wild to throw the thing into a turn going way faster than it had any right to be attempting and feeling it move the power around all 4 wheels to keep the shiny side up.

Anyway, I'll get something different. I don't like to repeat cars. See if Nissan makes me some nice offers on current stock.

whtmare
05-20-2013, 10:01 PM
I bet they will after that Jim!

390gtconv
05-20-2013, 10:22 PM
Smart Cars are on the list as not all that reliable I believe.

chachee52
05-21-2013, 07:51 AM
Smart Cars are on the list as not all that reliable I believe.

It's kind of like a Smart Phone then!!

TorchredSVT
05-21-2013, 09:23 AM
wow Jim...so its a total loss then???

What are your options in this situation? How does insurance handle it?

Dennis O'Shea
05-21-2013, 04:58 PM
Wow that sucks Lets hope the dealership steps up and does the right thing Thank God nobody was hurt

SVT10th
05-21-2013, 05:48 PM
This is what roasted Juke looks like.....'

Dennis O'Shea
05-21-2013, 06:14 PM
Wow Again thank goodness no one was in it driving

chachee52
05-21-2013, 08:27 PM
So it started in the trunk?

ToplessPony94
05-21-2013, 09:04 PM
WOW! That got HOT! Thank God it was alone when it threw a tantrum! Do they know the cause yet? I assume the NHSB and NTSB would be interested!

Jibber
05-21-2013, 09:30 PM
Thats crazy. Get a Ford Escape.

390gtconv
05-22-2013, 07:36 AM
So if I missed, why was it in the shop?

TorchredSVT
05-22-2013, 09:22 AM
yeah..lots of questions here Jim...we need answers!!!

390gtconv
05-22-2013, 09:30 AM
I wanna know if it's ok to park next to one anywhere.

Jibber
05-25-2013, 06:50 PM
I wanna know if it's ok to park next to one anywhere.

What happened to Jim on this thread?? How dare he leave us hanging like this.

SVT10th
05-26-2013, 11:01 AM
No resolution yet. Seeing what my insurance gives me, then I'll see what Nissan does.

Cause seems to be the main wiring harness was rubbing against something and shorted. Not a lot of detail yet. Probably know more after the holiday.

SVT10th
06-11-2013, 10:26 AM
I finally settled with the insurance. With some help from my agent (Barry's daughter Amanda) I got a really good settlement check.

There's no real information on the cause. It happened at 1:30 in the morning so no one was around. They said security footage showed the flames start under the hood and involve the whole front of the car. Sprinkler systems doused it, but not before the fire got hot enough to melt a nearby computer and ruin some mechanic's tools -- not to mention melting a lot of the aluminum components of the engine. The dealer says nothing was hooked up to it, it was just sitting waiting for service on Monday. Nissan (corporate) is obviously taking a look to make sure this isn't something that could affect all Jukes. Kind of a mystery to all involved.

Last night I just picked up my replacement -- a 2013 Nissan Altima SL 3.5. It's a 3.5 V6 with nearly 300hp. The thing freaking SCREWS. It is faster than any of the v8s I've owned except for the Cobra. It's loaded -- there's not a single factory option that it doesn't have. Full Nav, Bluetooth, blindspot warning, lane departure warning, Google integration, satellite radio, leather, heated seats, heated steering wheel,19" wheels, Xenon lights, yada, yada,. I'm blown away by the tech and amenities in this thing. I've seen $40k+cars that don't match this. It even has seats that were designed by NASA -- some sort of technology that reduces body fatigue during long drives. Originally I was looking at a lightly used Maxima, but the new Altima makes the current Maxima look like your grandfathers Oldsmobile. (At least until they redesign the Maxima for 2015)
Oh, and it gets better gas mileage than the Juke, despite having twice the engine and being twice the size.

Dennis O'Shea
06-11-2013, 10:36 AM
Thats good news Glad it worked out so well for you. Car looks very nice Best of luck with it

ToplessPony94
06-11-2013, 11:40 AM
WOW, Jim! Looks like you're being treated right. Good to hear. :)

I'm surprised it got hot enough to melt that computer. The pic you posted looked like there was still air in the tires after the fire. You will probably never hear about the cause - most likely they will keep it very quiet unless it results in a recall.

Good luck with the new wheels - you've had enough excitement around your DD for a while! :eek:

390gtconv
06-11-2013, 12:13 PM
Good luck with new car. It's always been my take on "tons of options" that it's more to break & fix. Also takes a month of reading the owners manual to understand it all.

TorchredSVT
06-11-2013, 01:15 PM
Jim, congrats on the new pick up --- sharp looking car and I am glad you got taken care of.

I am not surprised to hear about the gas mileage. That 3.5 v6 is put into EVERYTHING nissan owns, so they know what they are doing with it.

Good luck with new car. It's always been my take on "tons of options" that it's more to break & fix. Also takes a month of reading the owners manual to understand it all.

LOL you sound like a 75 year old man........software runs the world these days, all the options out there are all based on computer software not mechanical parts!

ToplessPony94
06-11-2013, 01:19 PM

True, George. I have had the Prius for 4.5 years now and there are still a few bells and whistles I don't really know how to use.

390gtconv
06-11-2013, 02:41 PM
LOL you sound like a 75 year old man........software runs the world these days, all the options out there are all based on computer software not mechanical parts!
I've been in electronics my whole life including fixing PCB's to component level. So I know. BUT, with that comes more connections, sensors, switches, s/w bugs, etc. It doesn't need to be a moving part to cause problems. FYI cars/SUV's that park themselves require electro mechanical parts.

Jibber
06-11-2013, 03:37 PM
I've been in electronics my whole life including fixing PCB's to component level. So I know. BUT, with that comes more connections, sensors, switches, s/w bugs, etc. It doesn't need to be a moving part to cause problems. FYI cars/SUV's that park themselves require electro mechanical parts.

Dont question Ian...... You will lose that battle. :)

SVT10th
06-11-2013, 03:49 PM

F**k 'em. I got a 7 year warranty. If it breaks it's their problem.

And the trick to modern software systems (having been in IT for 25 years) is you don't learn it ALL --- you learn what you want/need to use.
I couldn't tell you how to do EVERYTHING with a Windows Server, but I know how to make it do what I need it to.

390gtconv
06-11-2013, 06:16 PM

Not what my father always thought. hehehehe

MY-S281
06-11-2013, 06:19 PM
I finally settled with the insurance. With some help from my agent (Barry's daughter Amanda) I got a really good settlement check.

Glad to hear you came out with a nice settlement Jim. I heard it wasn't easy going and Amanda had to flex some muscles so to speak !! .. I am sure she will appreciated the plug !

chachee52
06-11-2013, 08:34 PM
So my question is what does the "yada yada" do? And how much was that option?
Congrats and its the right color too!!

KARMAN
06-11-2013, 08:43 PM
I currently have a Nissan Xterra that I love (not quite as much as my Mustang :) ).

TorchredSVT
06-12-2013, 09:43 AM

thank you, now i just need you to convey this to my wife and I'll be good go go

chachee52
06-12-2013, 10:40 AM
thank you, now i just need you to convey this to my wife and I'll be good go go

Conveying to wives never work. Tried that, it doesn't work!!!!