PDA

View Full Version : Battery feedback.....

fredfordguy
04-25-2013, 08:25 PM
I've gotta put a bettery in our car, so far we have stuck with Die Hards with good results. Looking to possibly an Optima, anybody used one of these? I would welcome any recomendations, not concours concerned...Thanks....

whtmare
04-25-2013, 08:59 PM
I've only heard people rave about optimas and the colors look sweet !! Defintaly will be my choice when the time comes.

LILBLKSNAKE
04-25-2013, 09:43 PM
Optimas aren't what they used to be. If you can get a Motorcraft, mine lasted 12.5 years in my COBRA

ToplessPony94
04-25-2013, 09:49 PM
Mike, I'm with you. I've been using Diehards for over 40 years and never, ever had one let me down. I thought about Optima last time I needed a battery, researched it and talked to people who had them and then bought another Diehard. As for the Motorcraft, the one that came in my car when it was new lasted a little over 4 years and then shorted out so completely that when I jumped it to get it started, the engine died the instant the jumpers were disconnected. I got a Diehard and never looked back.

Dennis O'Shea
04-26-2013, 08:13 AM
I don't think you can go wrong with a Die Hard also have heard that Interstate is also good have never had one

TorchredSVT
04-26-2013, 09:00 AM
Motorcraft....end of discussion

no , seriously though..they are kick ass batteries. As Ed mentioned, i have seen too many horror stories online with Optima, really hit or miss. Not worth the price to me.

390gtconv
04-26-2013, 10:08 AM
I used to follow Consumer Reports and their battery testing. Diehards (as said) for years top of the list until a couple years ago when Autozones DURALAST battery took top spot. Diehards dropped to # 2. I too grew up with many Diehards but big believer in testing data, facts. I have a couple Duralast in my daily drivers, run fine. So I'd say either of the above you can't go wrong. I've also own Motorcraft with good luck but not sold everywhere.
Note: like tires there is only a handful of both tires and car battery mfg's in the world.
Note: Optima batteries are a diff technology, "glass mat" I believe. It's been my experience & others if you let battery drain down, most likely all done, won't come back to life, or at least not for long.

Also: Been told this by folks at BATTERIES PLUS store, ALL batteries need some kind of electrical stimulation to make them last. If they just sit w/o a charge time to time a chemical process called "sulfication" which destroys a battery. http://www.roperld.com/science/batterysulfation.htm

So you asked, I'd lean toward a Duralast,Diehard, or maybe Interstate. BUT for any of those to last they need trickle charges over winter. People will say " they just leave 'em and good the next year" but you're shortening the life doing that.
My "orig vintage looking" AUTOLITE with fake caps in my '67 cost ~ $300. is now 8 yrs old and still strong because in part I trickle charge it.

rhoidahl
04-26-2013, 05:44 PM
Motorcraft or DieHard. I had an Optima battery in my previous Mustang. When it was in for electrical problems (specialty auto electrical in Manchester, I forgot the name); the tech told me Optima batteries are OK in the warm and hot weather. But in cooler weather, the inside turns to gel and the battery is then never the same...

fredfordguy
04-28-2013, 11:07 AM
Dropped a Motorcraft in yesterday, got a lot of bad words on the Optima, good stuff for Motorcraft. Thanks for the advice everyone..it is greatly appreciated. Hoping to be runnin' with the herd this summer, if y'all can slow down for the old car...