PDA

View Full Version : Firing it up after " Long Winter's Nap"?

Dennis O'Shea
03-26-2013, 12:23 PM
Ok dumb Question? This will be the first time starting my Gt After sitting all winter.When I had the little car I new what to do I pulled the coil wire and turned over a few times to get the Oil Pressure up and oil up top.Then put it back on and off we went. Having a fuel Injection system are there things I need to do prior to starting it up.And are there any tricks like pumping the gas ETC.Thanks :p

ToplessPony94
03-26-2013, 12:32 PM
I usually just turn the key all the way quickly. After sitting so long, it takes the fuel pump a little time to get the fuel up to the engine and build pressure. I feel that's enough time to get the oil up a bit. Pumping the pedal does nothing with fuel injection.

Not an issue for me this year - I've moved mine to the middle of the garage to work on it so many times this winter that my car expects that every time it sees me now. :D

whtmare
03-26-2013, 01:21 PM
Just start it for god sakes it not made of glass you will be fine!!

390gtconv
03-26-2013, 01:55 PM
Lubricating moving parts, same concept whether old or new.
I pull my coil wire, crank ~ 10-15 sec. Plug coil back in and start. Good to get oil back thru block before adding spark to it. My engine cost big $$$ and don't wanna get stupid.
As many experts tell ya, I changed oil before I put it away, (to get acidic oil out of block because it eats bearings), then once running, in spring I change again to get moisture that's collected flushed out. Changing oil much cheaper than engine rebuild.

Dennis, your fuel injection system gets pressure seconds after you turn key. Nothing more you need to do as far as that goes. I've heard some folks pull fuel pump fuse and crank first to get oil moving.

TorchredSVT
03-26-2013, 04:27 PM
there isn't anything you need to do

just turn the key and let it warm up to operating temp before you start driving it

Jibber
03-26-2013, 06:12 PM
Look for the Black smoke. I heard it's fast.

LILBLKSNAKE
03-26-2013, 08:31 PM

That was pretty funny, for a yellow guy :)

chachee52
03-27-2013, 08:17 AM

Sweet, my car is SUPER FAST!!!

Jays66gt
03-27-2013, 08:23 AM
You FI guys have it easy. I go thru everything before turning the key on my 66.

chachee52
03-27-2013, 07:34 PM
OK, now I'm getting a little worried. Am I doing something wrong when I check over the engine making sure that during the winter not too many fluids leaked out. Then pump the gas and turn the key? I've been doing it since I've gotten the car (about 7 years now). Car starts right up, nothing out of the ordinary seems to happen.
I do change the oil before I put it away, and then shortly after starting it up, change the oil again.

390gtconv
03-27-2013, 08:23 PM
OK, now I'm getting a little worried.
I do change the oil before I put it away, and then shortly after starting it up, change the oil again.
It's what I do. Car TV shows as well as articles about "storing car" have explained it the way I did about. I think most important clean oil in before you put away. Fuel & oil create acids, and known NOT to be a good thing to just sit inside engine over the winter. Your call. I know what I'm gonna do. I like the cheap insurance of having changed it.

chachee52
03-27-2013, 08:55 PM
pulled the coil wire and turned over a few times to get the Oil Pressure up and oil up top.Then put it back on and off we went.

This was more my concern of if I should be doing this too?

SVT10th
03-28-2013, 12:08 PM
It's what I do. Car TV shows as well as articles about "storing car" have explained it the way I did about. I think most important clean oil in before you put away. Fuel & oil create acids, and known NOT to be a good thing to just sit inside engine over the winter. Your call. I know what I'm gonna do. I like the cheap insurance of having changed it.

Every time I change the oil in my car, I send a sample to Blackstone Labs. Based on their testing and recommendation, I change the oil before I put it away for the winter and then drive it for the season on that same oil. (I use Mobil 1 synthetic & K&N Filter) The last 2 tests came back with negligible differences from brand new oil. (after about 2000 miles)

Now, your cars are significantly older than mine -- but unless your engines are also significantly "dirtier", I think you might be able to cut out the after winter oil change. Of course the way to find out would be to have your oil tested. It costs $25.
http://www.blackstone-labs.com/free-test-kits.php

Todd -- if it's been firing right up every year with no bad sounds or other unsettling effects, I wouldn't worry too much about your procedure.

TorchredSVT
03-28-2013, 12:49 PM
+1 to Jim....thanks to his efforts and experience with Blackstone, this is exactly what I do as well

Jays66gt
03-29-2013, 07:06 PM
Oh yeah. An hour of prep work and I am ready. Now if we can get some rain to wash the salt off..1640

Dennis O'Shea
03-31-2013, 01:29 PM
Well just went out and started it up.Turned the key and it turned over couple of times and fired right up.Let it warm up at idle till temp got up.Took it down the street to see if the tires were ok and alls well.Thanks for all your helpin this process

TorchredSVT
04-01-2013, 08:46 AM
woohooo, glad you got it up and running Dennis!!

390gtconv
04-01-2013, 11:22 AM
[QUOTE=SVT10th;4129] Now, your cars are significantly older than mine -- but unless your engines are also significantly "dirtier", I think you might be able to cut out the after winter oil change. QUOTE]
Yes a bit of difference between older cars and new. First of I don't run synthetic. Second is my engine is carbs (3 of them) opposed to fuel injection. So I do most likely have more unburned fuel, some of which may get into oil. Fuel injection is metered and computer controlled.
So as I said, oil change is a must in fall so built up acids in oil don't eat at bearings. Spring time change more a piece of mind, but not a must.

Jays66gt
04-03-2013, 03:52 PM
This was more my concern of if I should be doing this too?

It takes more than a few turns of the old 289 before she fires after the winter storage. By that time I figure the pressure is there.

390gtconv
04-03-2013, 05:54 PM
Another couple warm days of melting snow that's left in front of my enclosed trailer and I will be able to move out trailer. Yea!

Dennis O'Shea
04-03-2013, 07:45 PM
What no shovel?

Another couple warm days of melting snow that's left in front of my enclosed trailer and I will be able to move out trailer. Yea!

390gtconv
04-03-2013, 08:44 PM
What no shovel?
Why shovel? No rush. Besides It was packed and frozen hard from snowblower packing it down. Mother nature put it there, let her get rid of it.

Dennis O'Shea
04-04-2013, 07:22 AM
But a guy your age could use the exercise

Why shovel? No rush. Besides It was packed and frozen hard from snowblower packing it down. Mother nature put it there, let her get rid of it.

chachee52
04-04-2013, 07:44 AM
As the club PT. With his hip, he should sit and relax and rest for this Saturday :)

390gtconv
04-04-2013, 08:28 AM
But a guy your age could use the exercise
After hip replacement I get my excercise at the gym & cutting/splitting 4 cords of wood a year. :)

Jays66gt
04-04-2013, 04:02 PM
The GT is out of storage and on the road. Took her to work today. Have my bi-yearly lick and stick inspection scheduled for next week. Yippee!

Dennis O'Shea
04-04-2013, 05:36 PM
Thats Cool Can't wait to see it

The GT is out of storage and on the road. Took her to work today. Have my bi-yearly lick and stick inspection scheduled for next week. Yippee!

390gtconv
04-04-2013, 06:28 PM
Thinking about this driving home tonight. A week or so ago, most said waiting for a COUPLE rain storms to wash roads down. Now, with nice weather coming right up and only had one rian storm, how many still waiting on another rain storm? hehehe

MY-S281
04-05-2013, 07:21 AM
Thinking about this driving home tonight. A week or so ago, most said waiting for a COUPLE rain storms to wash roads down. Now, with nice weather coming right up and only had one rian storm, how many still waiting on another rain storm? hehehe

Been rolling the Saleen down the road since last Saturday with no regrets !!

TorchredSVT
04-05-2013, 09:03 AM

this guy........road i live on still covered in sand and salt....hopefully this up coming week we have some rain

ToplessPony94
04-05-2013, 10:53 AM
this guy........road i live on still covered in sand and salt....hopefully this up coming week we have some rain

My road looks like sand dunes. Hopefully they will have the street sweeper out next week!