PDA

View Full Version : Smart Phone Users beware, YOU maybe at risk

390gtconv
03-21-2013, 09:31 AM
Now I'm really glad I kept my DUMB phone.
http://redtape.nbcnews.com/_news/2013/03/21/17390282-smartphone-hacking-comes-of-age-hitting-us-victims?lite&ocid=msnhp&pos=1

:confused:

TorchredSVT
03-21-2013, 11:06 AM
us iPhone users don't really have to worry since Apple does things the right way

ToplessPony94
03-21-2013, 11:25 AM
Simple answer here. Run a phone AV program like Outlook or Trend Micro (I run both) and never click on links in email or text messages from your phone. If you need to follow the links, do so from a computer that has real AV software that can identify and block rogue web sites. In Android, in the Security settings, never check the option for Unknown Sources. Leaving it unchecked will only allow software to be installed from Google Play Store.

390gtconv
03-21-2013, 11:43 AM
us iPhone users don't really have to worry since Apple does things the right way

NOT a fan of anything Apple. Used to work for a company that worked with Apple as a reseller. Also working conditions they practice in China with childred. NOT GOOD ones!

Apple also has admitted to tracking everything/place you go thru their phones. WHY?
Not Good.

SVT10th
03-22-2013, 08:55 AM
(OK, putting on my IT Manager hat...)
That article has nothing to do with the technology and everything to do with "social engineering". The best anti-malware in the world won't protect you if you tell your system to download and run the code.
As Bruce said above, never click a link you don't recognize, even if it's from someone you know. Most "viruses" on peoples computers are actually installed with the users permission -- simply because they clicked on something they shouldn't have.

Social Engineering is the most common form of corporate hacking. Most real hacking doesn't come from computerized attacks on systems and passwords like you see on TV. It often as simple as calling up the target organization and asking questions of receptionists, secretaries and other non-IT staff. Posing as a employee working from home or a related corporate division, a bad guy can usually learn all sorts of things like guest login accounts, wi-fi passwords, and other seemingly innocuous stuff that will give him the toe-hold he needs to start infiltrating your system.

In the case mentioned in the article, it's a similar social engineering agenda -- the goal is getting you to click the link by making you believe that the link "your friend" sent you is friendly.

TorchredSVT
03-22-2013, 09:07 AM
Excellent post Jim, everything you stated makes definite sense.

NOT a fan of anything Apple. Used to work for a company that worked with Apple as a reseller. Also working conditions they practice in China with childred. NOT GOOD ones!

Apple also has admitted to tracking everything/place you go thru their phones. WHY?
Not Good.

Apple tracks it for the reason Jim mentioned....social engineering. The more they know about you, the more products can be pushed out to you based on your likes and activities

And btw, do you think companies like Samsung, Motorola, Nokia etc make their phones in the US? Don't be so naive.

390gtconv
03-22-2013, 11:40 AM
Excellent post Jim, everything you stated makes definite sense.

Apple tracks it for the reason Jim mentioned....social engineering. The more they know about you, the more products can be pushed out to you based on your likes and activities

And btw, do you think companies like Samsung, Motorola, Nokia etc make their phones in the US? Don't be so naive. I'm sure many things are tracked. But based on facts, how do we know what's true. Because you read it on the internet? "Must be true 'cause can't put it on internet if it wasn't".
You didn't touch on the most important issue, child slavery in China. Well know fact @ FOXCOM.

Many cars have "black box" under your drive seats tracking you and how you drive. But I believe is mentioned in your owners, how many read it? GM Toyota mainly, not sure if certain Fords or not do.
The public is much more aware today of of who does what. So why then did the Media make a big deal out of how & why Apple was doing what they were doing and NO other vendor? Because, those that don't drink tha Apple Koolaide didn't believe them.

SVT10th
03-22-2013, 01:44 PM
"Must be true 'cause can't put it on internet if it wasn't".

Bonjour.
http://media.tumblr.com/tumblr_md1gel5UdO1qe1ey2.png

Jibber
03-22-2013, 02:01 PM
^^^^^^^Ians Apple buddy!^^^^^^^

Dennis O'Shea
03-22-2013, 02:32 PM
I am glad I still have a rotary phone down stairs and upstairs we have a push button princess phone. I don't know what all the fuss is about. As far as the China thing goes I Love Chop Suey.:p

390gtconv
03-22-2013, 03:20 PM
I don't know what all the fuss is about. As far as the China thing goes I Love Chop Suey.:p

Do you use chop sticks?

Dennis O'Shea
03-22-2013, 04:36 PM
When you get to my age you use a Big Spoon

Do you use chop sticks?

390gtconv
03-22-2013, 05:49 PM
When you get to my age you use a Big Spoon

Table spoon or pot stirring spoon?

chachee52
03-22-2013, 06:43 PM
Don't own anything Apple. I hate my smart phone and come June will be going back to my stupid phone because its cheaper and easier and doesn't crash as much!!!
Basic common sense, don't put anything on your smart phone that you don't want stolen. Why people bank on their smart phones is beyond me?

LILBLKSNAKE
03-22-2013, 08:11 PM
I like blueberries

chachee52
03-23-2013, 09:04 AM
Don't like blueberries either.
I once worked on an Acorn computer though!

LILBLKSNAKE
03-23-2013, 10:29 AM
I have an abacus to count ED DAY racers

TorchredSVT
03-25-2013, 08:53 AM
So why then did the Media make a big deal out of how & why Apple was doing what they were doing and NO other vendor? Because, those that don't drink tha Apple Koolaide didn't believe them.

Because Apples stock is trading at $460 + per share and was also deemed the most influential company in the world? when you get that big, everyone watches.

SVT10th
03-25-2013, 10:47 AM
The public is much more aware today of of who does what. So why then did the Media make a big deal out of how & why Apple was doing what they were doing and NO other vendor? Because, those that don't drink tha Apple Koolaide didn't believe them.

Actually, not true. Foxconn is not an "Apple Only" shop. Many consumer electronics firms use Foxconn as their contract manufacturer. I'm not saying that it excuses Foxconn's treatment of laborers, but it illustrates that Apple just has the biggest, brightest target painted on it by the media.

From Wikipedia (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Foxconn#Major_customers):
Major customers of Foxconn include or have included:

Acer Inc. (Taiwan)
Amazon.com (United States)
Apple Inc. (United States)
Cisco (United States)
Dell (United States)
Google (United States)
Hewlett-Packard (United States)
Microsoft (United States)
Motorola Mobility (United States)
Nintendo (Japan)