PDA

View Full Version : Tire suggestions

Pete C
03-03-2013, 07:51 AM
Hi everyone, I am in the market for new tires on my 06 Mustang GT and I am looking for suggestions. It is not a daily driver and is only on the road in good weather. I do not take it to the track so I am looking for good performance summer tire for cruising around town. I have been on Tire Rack's website and have seen a few options but I wanted to consult the local experts as well. Thank you for any feedback. I can't wait for spring and getting the car out of storage. Take care.

Dennis O'Shea
03-03-2013, 08:34 AM
The Nitto Extreme Is a good all around tire for the street and has good performance Its just a good all around tire You can get a price quote at Discount Tires.com

ToplessPony94
03-03-2013, 10:12 AM
Got my Nitto NT-05 set from DiscountTireDirect.com and never looked back. Great performance street tire.

Jibber
03-03-2013, 10:43 AM
Tire choice is a big decision!!
I still have the tires on the car that I bought it with. (Previous owner had just replaced them) They are Nitto Extreme 555R. I like them alot as they seem to run well for my driving style. I've been caught in the rain with them and they run fine. I would strongly consider them for my next set if and when I need them.

Good luck in your search.

rhoidahl
03-03-2013, 03:06 PM
I agree with the Nittos; I just replaced the front tires on my Cobra with Nittos so there are Nittos all the way around. I ran Pirelli P-Zero Neros on my GT; they are a good tire too. Stay away from Sumitomo, good price, but they make a lot of road noise after only a few thousand miles...

whtmare
03-03-2013, 07:52 PM
I'm a drag radial guy I've run the Mickey Thompson et streets for the last couple seasons. It's year I tried something different and went with the mh racemaster drag radials so well see how these do. I've always heard good things about Michlen pilots for an all around street tire, on the front I'm running the toyo proxy t1 sport which is a nice stickey summer tire. I've never gone the route of nitto some people love them some hate them. Depends on who you talk to most say they do run narrow so keep that in mind if you go that route.

TorchredSVT
03-05-2013, 08:48 AM
Toyo R888, you can thank me later

Dennis O'Shea
03-05-2013, 09:10 AM
This is from a guy who drives his car around the block twice a year

whtmare
03-06-2013, 07:02 AM

The r88 the only problem with that is the height if he has 18 inch wheels. That tire is to short don't get me wrong it is a great tire,but the height of the factory bfg 235 is just over 27 inches. And haveing a shorter rear tire just looks off imo

TorchredSVT
03-06-2013, 09:16 AM
I guess it's all about personal preference, to me , modern muscle cars shouldn't have big sidewalls, just doesn't look right. A 35 series tire seems perfect to me, but I am also the same person who hates the "raked" look on modern muscle as well. To each their own.

Most guys run 275/35/18 or (305/315)35/18 and I think that looks just perfect. To me S197 cars need 20" wheels to fill those huge wheel wells.

whtmare
03-06-2013, 10:32 AM
I agree it is a matter of preference you kinda have to pick which route your going to take. I tried a toyo proxy on the back of my car it there was to much fender gap for me even though I'm lowered. I guess I'm into the new old school look lol

Dennis O'Shea
03-06-2013, 02:18 PM
Bigger the rims the rougher the ride I think eighteen's are even pushing it Just my opinion

ToplessPony94
03-06-2013, 02:42 PM
Bigger the rims the rougher the ride I think eighteen's are even pushing it Just my opinion

Me too. That's why I have 17s on my car. Plus the tires get really expensive above 17".

Pete C
03-06-2013, 07:52 PM
I really appreciate all the feedback and suggestions. Not sure I am any closer to a decision but by picking one of the tires suggestioned I am will feel more comfortable. After going with a Ford Racing cold air intake last year and being told at Dyno day I could have done better, I did not want to repeat my mistakes and wanted to be sure and ask for suggestions from those who know best....thanks again guys! One thing for sure is I will do my best t burn up the old rear tires before mounting the new ones.....