PDA

View Full Version : Max: Defending Champ at ED Day

chachee52
02-10-2013, 01:51 PM
This past week has been a long and hard one for us and Max. Max had some issues so we took him the vet, after trying some meds for a couple days nothing was helping so we had to take him down to Tufts last Monday. A bunch of tests were performed and was found to have cancer in his abdominal cavity. We spent a long time talking with and without the MDs and through it all Max was his normal happy self and was very energetic.
He had to have surgery, this was the only way to keep him alive. So on Wednesday he had a life changing surgery. The option that gave him the best chance was to take his left back leg. So he is now a three legged Basset Hound! The MDs assure us that he will be able to keep his rigorous level of activity up (sleeping 20 hrs a day) and should eventually be able to hop around without help.
We are happy to say that he is now back at home today and is very happy. He's had a couple bacon strips and chicken and is actually smiling!!!!
Max will be in for a long road of rehab, but we are hoping that by ED Day he will be ready to defend his championship. And get back to the trophy that he so deserves and was robbed from, BEST OF SHOW!!!

ToplessPony94
02-10-2013, 02:18 PM
Wow, Todd! I'm rooting for Max - I'm sure everyone is! Best of luck to Max, and I'm sure he deserves that trophy. I'll lobby for him with ED - we all know how well ED listens to other people's opinions!

Dennis O'Shea
02-10-2013, 02:38 PM
Wow Todd sounds like you had a full week.It sounds like Max is on the road to recovery Lets hope all goes well with his rehab and he has many more years ahead of him All the best Please keep us posted on how he is doing

whtmare
02-10-2013, 03:49 PM
Hope he is up and around soon. I know the feeling there like kids and I like them more than most people.

chachee52
02-10-2013, 06:12 PM
Thanks guys. He is glad to be home and get some rest. It's been hard because he needs a lot of help to get up and to walk right now, and he's not particularly happy with us, but he is getting better. He's trusting us a little more right now.
I'm sure he's going to be fine in no time at all and thank you guys for all the support.

390gtconv
02-10-2013, 09:55 PM
Best wishes to You, Jen & MAX

TorchredSVT
02-11-2013, 08:43 AM
awww man Todd....very sorry to hear! Sounds like he is doing a little bit better though!!

I am glad he's making a recovery. Please tell Jen that Tricia and I send our regards and if you need any help or whatever let me know.

chachee52
02-11-2013, 09:04 AM
Max was found this morning hopping toward the door before we got up. We were shocked to see that!!
He had a great sleep last night, and it was well deserved.
Like I said, He'll be ready for Best Of Show at ED Day coming up!!!

Dennis O'Shea
02-11-2013, 09:20 AM
Thats Awesome I Am glad for you guys
Max was found this morning hopping toward the door before we got up. We were shocked to see that!!
He had a great sleep last night, and it was well deserved.
Like I said, He'll be ready for Best Of Show at ED Day coming up!!!

SVT10th
02-11-2013, 10:15 AM
Glad to hear he's doing well and adapting. He's a great dog.

Guess we'll need a new batch of these...
http://i200.photobucket.com/albums/aa52/langod/forum%20pic%20links/VOTEFORMAX.jpg

390gtconv
02-11-2013, 11:59 AM
I think Todd said he still had a handicap parking permit too.

Dennis O'Shea
02-11-2013, 12:23 PM
I'LL let Max use my walker if it will help But knowing Max he will be just fine

chachee52
02-11-2013, 01:03 PM
I'LL let Max use my walker if it will help But knowing Max he will be just fine

Max is going to be walking better than I can in no time!! I have actually already looked into wheel chairs for him. Thought about cutting my kayak dolly to make one for him!!

ToplessPony94
02-11-2013, 01:13 PM
Harbor Freight sells several different vehicle wheel dollies - the kind where you put one under each wheel and push/pull the car around. Maybe one of those would be just the thing! I have a set I'm not using right now if you want to try it out, though the ones I have are probably too heavy for long term use.

Good Luck MAX!

chachee52
02-12-2013, 08:51 PM
So last night and this morning was a little worrysome. Went back to the hospital and was put on some new meds. Max was in a lot of pain and wasn't getting up and wasn't allowing us to help him get up.
A couple minutes ago, Max after his first dose of new meds, stood up and before we coupld get anything under him to help, he hopped out the door and down a stair and into the yard!! I stood next to him just in case, but he only leaned on me once. It was a complete turn around from 24 hours ago.
I can't believe that he went that far without falling. After my knee surgery I don't think that I was walking that good this fast!! Hell, I'm not sure that I'm still walking that good.
Get that trophy polished up ED!!

TorchredSVT
02-13-2013, 08:56 AM
dogs are amazing animals when it comes to adaptation and overcoming pain. Glad to hear he is doing better

Dennis O'Shea
02-13-2013, 01:56 PM
Thats Awesome Todd lets hope he continues to improve

chachee52
02-16-2013, 03:38 PM
So a little update. Mas is doing great on the walking aspect still. I still can't believe that he's just getting up and walking around with out really falling. He looses his balance a little especially when he first gets up but he's doing well on that aspect.
Thursdays AM he got up and walked around the entire yard and then came in and ate standing up, then wanted to walk around the house. This was good until I noticed a blood stain under his leg. Looked and he opened is incision up. So back to the hospital. The sewed him back up, kept him for a couple days to make sure it was good. This gave Jen and I a little break. We had a nice Valintines day of coming home from work and passing out on the couch at 9pm!!!
Max just got home and he now has to wear the "cone of shame" and he has his back leg and rear end all wrapped up in a blue bandages.
I think that he's back to his whiny self because the entire way home he was doing his normal Wookiee sounds. So Max is doing great!!!

Dennis O'Shea
02-16-2013, 03:53 PM
Thats great to hear

Jibber
02-18-2013, 03:53 PM
Nice to hear...

How about Max vs Oshea at ED day? This will be the Marquee event of the day. :)

Dennis O'Shea
02-18-2013, 04:21 PM
See there we go again with me getting old And yes I would probably lose to that Three Legged Terror
Nice to hear...

How about Max vs Oshea at ED day? This will be the Marquee event of the day. :)

LILBLKSNAKE
02-18-2013, 05:30 PM
I think Jibber needs to actually put his car on the track before he opens his mouth again!! B.I.F.!!!!!!
Stop picking on Great Grampa O'shea!!

Jibber
02-18-2013, 09:43 PM
I think Jibber needs to actually put his car on the track before he opens his mouth again!! B.I.F.!!!!!!
Stop picking on Great Grampa O'shea!!

Do we have a Bro-mance going on here? Jeez Ed. I'm sure Mr O'Shea can stick up for himself. MYOB!

LILBLKSNAKE
02-19-2013, 07:01 AM
Do we have a Bro-mance going on here? Jeez Ed. I'm sure Mr O'Shea can stick up for himself. MYOB!

Yellow is the official color of being CHICKEN!! You must prey on poor, old, weak, fragile O'Shea because you truly are YELLOW!!! Leave Great Gramps alone :) Pick on someone your own age

chachee52
02-23-2013, 06:09 PM
MAx is doing awsome. He's getting back into his sleeping schedule. So he used to sleep 20 hours a day, now he's sleeping 26 hours a day!!! He's getting up and eating now instead of us putting the bowl in front of him, and his getting up and walking around the yard and house.
He unfortunately still has the cone of shame until March 1st at the soonest when he gets all his stitches out. But he is now getting back to whining at us while we eat, and is turning around to watch us in the kitchen when we are making stuff.
So Max is back to being the award winning dog that he is well known for!!!
Thanks everyone for your thoughts and prayers for him. We really appriciate it and we know that he is back to almost normal when he is flirting with all the ladies at the hospital!!!!

Dennis O'Shea
02-23-2013, 06:17 PM
Thats Awesome Todd I am trying to get someone to bring me my bowl just isn't seem to be working yet

TorchredSVT
02-25-2013, 08:54 AM
good to hear todd, it's amazing what they can overcome.

chachee52
03-01-2013, 03:04 PM
Last real update on Max: He got all his staples and stitches out today. And he finally has no "cone of shame" either. He's back to his whiny self begging for food and is letting us know that it's 4pm for dinner!! He's going out side and tried to go up the stairs into the house (which he did not make it the entire way, kind of pooped out).
So he's back to himself and ready to win "Best of Show!!

Dennis O'Shea
03-01-2013, 04:45 PM
Good News thats great

ToplessPony94
03-01-2013, 05:04 PM
GO MAX! Great to hear!

LILBLKSNAKE
03-01-2013, 05:40 PM
He's back to his whiny self

Like father, like dog

390gtconv
03-01-2013, 06:09 PM
Wow. I guess we know who's NOT getting truffles.:eek:

Dennis O'Shea
03-01-2013, 06:30 PM
Max Will ED Won't rightfully so

390gtconv
03-02-2013, 02:31 PM
How's about MAX with wheels?
http://now.msn.com/animals-with-prosthetics-a-photo-gallery

chachee52
03-02-2013, 02:38 PM
Thought about it when this first happened. The company that made the pig wheel chair is actually in Nashua. Also thought about how I can make the kayak dolly into a wheel chair. Right now, I don't think that he's going to need/want one. He just walked a couple houses up the road and back without any real issue, he's now passed out cold, but he made it!!!
If we can make a motorize wheelchair then I think that we're talking!!

Dennis O'Shea
03-02-2013, 04:28 PM
Make sure it at least 5.0 engine

390gtconv
03-02-2013, 05:31 PM
Make sure it at least 5.0 engine
hmmm, and what color should it be?

Dennis O'Shea
03-02-2013, 07:01 PM
WOW Its finally catching there is some light at the end of the tunnel And we know how cool Max is the color is just secondary But thanks for noticing :p

Jibber
03-02-2013, 08:53 PM

Well it definitely shouldn't be Yellow OR Black.
He will want to pee all the time if it were yellow. And well, If it was black, you know......

chachee52
03-03-2013, 07:49 AM
He's more of a blue guy right now. He's collar is blue and harness is blue, so those colors would clash. And, I'm not joking, he's very picky when it comes to his fashion. Just look at his bandanas, he chooses them out himself!!