PDA

View Full Version : Car Stereo

chachee52
01-10-2013, 07:52 AM
So seeing that I'll probably be driving the mustang to Carlisle and there are no more good radio stations around any more, I was thinking about my stereo in my car. Right now I have an old JVC CD player in the car that is wired wrong.
So I was thinking about getting a new stereo with at least an aux jack so that I can hook up my XM while on the trip or up someone's I-Pod in (I actually don't have one). But I still want a CD player. I was thinking about the replica stereo but they don't have a CD player built in.
I know that not a lot of people buy car stereos any more, but I thought I'd throw it out there: Any suggestions? Last time I bought one was back in the mid 90s and Kenwood was the brand to get.
Thanks for any suggestions.

TorchredSVT
01-10-2013, 09:03 AM
pioneer, kenwood and JVC are the big brands these days.........there are others but its all about budget and if you want any custom work done

by the way, there are a few good radio stations around, 100.7!

ToplessPony94
01-10-2013, 10:27 AM
Todd, if you can hear your stereo your exhaust needs work! :D

LILBLKSNAKE
01-10-2013, 03:15 PM

Top down and a better exhaust and you don't need a radio.

390gtconv
01-10-2013, 05:01 PM
Plus 1 on that. To think I only have 1 stock type dash speaker. Nope, radio not my priority except sittting in traffic.

By a portable XM satelite radio, works all the way to PA, can use it at home. My son Chris has one.

chachee52
01-10-2013, 08:03 PM

Top down and a better exhaust and you don't need a radio.
Agreed that usually no radio is good. Driving 8 hours, I need music!!!!!

Plus 1 on that. To think I only have 1 stock type dash speaker. Nope, radio not my priority except sittting in traffic.

By a portable XM satelite radio, works all the way to PA, can use it at home. My son Chris has one.
I too have one stock speaker in the dash. I have multiple XM radios. I've had an XM since 2001 (I just found the reciept), not about to go get another subscription for another reciever.

chachee52
01-10-2013, 08:08 PM
pioneer, kenwood and JVC are the big brands these days.........there are others but its all about budget and if you want any custom work done

by the way, there are a few good radio stations around, 100.7!

I'd like to keep it fairly cheap seeing that I won't be using it much. So I won't be customizing much. Just one mid dash speaker.
And I guess I should re-state that there are no good alternative stations any more.

390gtconv
01-10-2013, 08:58 PM
Agreed that usually no radio is good. Driving 8 hours, I need music!!!!!

I too have one stock speaker in the dash. I have multiple XM radios. I've had an XM since 2001 (I just found the reciept), not about to go get another subscription for another reciever.

Chris has a XM receiver "head" then a base unit mounted in his truck. He also has a boom box portable type XM radio that he can move his XM Head from truck onto his portable. So he has only ONE subscription and can move it around to other devices.

fredfordguy
01-11-2013, 05:54 AM
If you are looking to buy one, may I suggest Crutchfield, best prices. Don't know if they would have an "old" post type unit to fit the 'stang. A few years ago I bought a decent one from Radio Shack, no cd player, but it had an aux jack that allows me to use the Ipod input, back in the days when I remember driving our Mach. Good news though, it is in the paint booth and I have been assured by the painter it should be done in a month. Not holding my breath though....

chachee52
01-11-2013, 07:39 AM
If you are looking to buy one, may I suggest Crutchfield, best prices. Don't know if they would have an "old" post type unit to fit the 'stang. A few years ago I bought a decent one from Radio Shack, no cd player, but it had an aux jack that allows me to use the Ipod input, back in the days when I remember driving our Mach. Good news though, it is in the paint booth and I have been assured by the painter it should be done in a month. Not holding my breath though....

Cool to hear about your car. I can't wait to see it all done.
The radio that I have in now the previous owner put in, and not very well. So I have no idea what I'm going to find when I take it out but I'll make something work. I have been looking at Crutchfield, but like I said, just didn't know who were the stereo people any more.

chachee52
01-11-2013, 07:44 AM
Chris has a XM receiver "head" then a base unit mounted in his truck. He also has a boom box portable type XM radio that he can move his XM Head from truck onto his portable. So he has only ONE subscription and can move it around to other devices.
i have my original head unit (the old orange screen one) with a car and home base, then I have a newer "roadie" for Jen's car and my sister has one too for her car. So I have one main substription and then a bunch of family subscriptions. I suppose that I can get rid of my old one, but there's so many great times I had with it!!! HEHEHEHE

390gtconv
01-11-2013, 11:57 AM
I know over last several yrs, folks that bought period correct radios from Custom Auto Sound were not happy as many had problems.
I'll ask my brother in law who bought a Kewood system for his '67 Shelby. Best I know he was happy with it.

SVT10th
01-11-2013, 02:36 PM
Just get a AM/FM two-post replica to throw in the dash, and get the Scosche FM Modulator. It connects the XM Aux output right into your antenna lead. They're fairly cheap and don't have the problem the over-the-air ones have of strong local stations stepping all over the frequency you picked. If you want to see how it it works/sounds, I've got one in Amy's car.
http://www.amazon.com/Scosche-FM-MOD02-Universal-Modulator-Satellite/dp/B001QBG614

chachee52
01-11-2013, 02:53 PM
Just get a AM/FM two-post replica to throw in the dash, and get the Scosche FM Modulator. It connects the XM Aux output right into your antenna lead. They're fairly cheap and don't have the problem the over-the-air ones have of strong local stations stepping all over the frequency you picked. If you want to see how it it works/sounds, I've got one in Amy's car.
http://www.amazon.com/Scosche-FM-MOD02-Universal-Modulator-Satellite/dp/B001QBG614
That will not have a CD player that I want too. I have an FM modulator from the past that I can use. I'm lookig for something to upgrade what I have so I can a)have an aux jack to plug my MP3 b)hook my xm up either by fm modulator or aux c)just get a better performing radio cd playing wise.

Dennis O'Shea
01-11-2013, 04:16 PM
Hey I have a small Tranister radio that you can hang out the window on the way down
That will not have a CD player that I want too. I have an FM modulator from the past that I can use. I'm lookig for something to upgrade what I have so I can a)have an aux jack to plug my MP3 b)hook my xm up either by fm modulator or aux c)just get a better performing radio cd playing wise.

rhoidahl
01-11-2013, 08:12 PM
You know, in my 96 GT, I installed an expensive Sony X-Plod stereo unit and Infinity speakers. But I never used it because I really couldn't hear it over the exhaust. In my Grand Am daily driver, I installed from Best Buy the least expensive Panasonic unit they had, and replaced the rear speakers with some that cost $49 for the pair. Spent under $100, and it actually sounds pretty good. In the Cobra, might as well not even have a stereo with the exhaust as loud as it is...

390gtconv
01-11-2013, 11:16 PM
Get a CD made with loud exhaust. Everyone is happy

rhoidahl
01-12-2013, 12:48 PM
You know, in my 96 GT, I installed an expensive Sony X-Plod stereo unit and Infinity speakers. But I never used it because I really couldn't hear it over the exhaust. In my Grand Am daily driver, I installed from Best Buy the least expensive Panasonic unit they had, and replaced the rear speakers with some that cost $49 for the pair. Spent under $100, and it actually sounds pretty good. In the Cobra, might as well not even have a stereo with the exhaust as loud as it is...

Todd -- a thought; install the unit in the glovebox, then you don't change the original dash at all...

chachee52
01-12-2013, 02:17 PM
Todd -- a thought; install the unit in the glovebox, then you don't change the original dash at all...

I already have a JVC radio in the car. The previous owner hacked the dash up putting it in. So that part doesn't matter.

390gtconv
01-12-2013, 02:34 PM
OK, here's your answer...........
http://www.vintagecarradio.com/store/product_info.php?cPath=20_36&products_id=275

:eek:

chachee52
01-12-2013, 04:08 PM
OK, here's your answer...........
http://www.vintagecarradio.com/store/product_info.php?cPath=20_36&products_id=275

:eek:

No AUX jack. And a little out of the price range I'm looking to spend. The real question at the beginning and really What brands are good now and what is the "crap" names?
After I buy one they we can rip the interior out and see what is behind the dash to fix the heater!!

390gtconv
01-12-2013, 10:55 PM
Well that's what I was thinking. We do windshield, heater, radio one wack. Screw the jack, bring enough cd's you could make it to Florida............
Not a lot of brands out there to fix a classic. As I said earlier, Custom Auto Sounds, never heard a good story. The Kenwood, well you get what you pay for. You won't get am/fm/cd & jacks for $100.

Pete C
01-13-2013, 08:00 AM
If you are considering having someone else install the stereo or looking for advise on what system would work best I would suggest going to Boomer McLoud on 101a in Nashua. They do great work and I have always been happy with them. They have done two cars including my Mustang and a boat for me. Jamie is the owner.

chachee52
01-13-2013, 02:14 PM
Thinking about it more I have my old FM modulator and old XM car adaptor. Maybe I'll just install those. The FM modulator is technically illegal because its "too powerful" but whatever. I'll still have to wire that in.
I did find a reciever for $80 with an aux jack in front. Who know's maybe I'll just buy a new Mustang and I can drive that down!!! HEHEHEHEHE

TorchredSVT
01-14-2013, 09:00 AM
does that CD player George suggested have any RCA outputs on the back? You can always install a CD player, and buy an external AUX jack that plugs into an RCA or 10 pin connector in the back of the stereo. I know they exsist.....