PDA

View Full Version : Off Season

rhoidahl
11-09-2012, 08:30 PM
Damn, the car's been in hibernation for only a week and I R-E-A-L-L-Y miss driving it already. Gonna be one long winter...

whtmare
11-09-2012, 09:14 PM
i hear you randy glad we got a couple nice rides in over the last few weeks as a group!

Dennis O'Shea
11-10-2012, 07:11 AM
Its going to be almost 70 on Monday last ride then put it to bed Just got new cover for it

390gtconv
11-10-2012, 07:41 AM
Although not driven since mid Sept (reg runs out in Sept), I do oil change on it this weekend and away it goes to slept.

J
11-10-2012, 08:59 AM
I went out in the garage and sat in each of them... lol

ToplessPony94
11-10-2012, 09:56 AM
I'll be driving mine tomorrow! It snoozes most of the winter but wakes up now and then for a little romp when the roads and weather cooperate.

chachee52
11-10-2012, 12:40 PM
I'll be driving mine tomorrow! It snoozes most of the winter but wakes up now and then for a little romp when the roads and weather cooperate.
You beat me to it. I hope to fix the turn signal switch and be driving it this weekend. I also have a goal each year to drive it on Thanksgiving down to Franklin MA. No need to put it away if its not needed.
I did just however put the kayaks away for the winter to make room in my garage for two cars in one bay and one in the other. But if need be, it's easy to pull the kayaks out if I want to take one last float on the lake.

Jibber
11-11-2012, 05:53 PM
Its going to be almost 70 on Monday last ride then put it to bed Just got new cover for it

I hope the cover is yellow...

Dennis O'Shea
11-11-2012, 07:52 PM
Its crazy didn't really know what the color was When it got here I had to laugh The Cover was Black With Red Stitching
I hope the cover is yellow...

SVT10th
11-12-2012, 12:59 PM
Drove mine yesterday - it was an awesome day for a drive.
Probably drive it again later today.

After last year, I'm kinda reluctant to put it away. But it'll probably start it's hibernation this coming weekend.

TorchredSVT
11-12-2012, 01:56 PM
putting the cobra away is my second least favorite time of the year ( the first being when i have to close the pool )

chachee52
11-12-2012, 02:28 PM
Just got back from driving the back roads of Tyngs and Westford. What an awsome day!!!! Might go back out a little later and enjoy this weather. Fingers crossed for good weather on Thanksgiving!!!!

Dennis O'Shea
11-12-2012, 04:27 PM
I also went out this afternoon it was beautiful Alot of guys riding there bikes and even saw a few tops down I will take a few more of these days

chachee52
11-12-2012, 04:58 PM
even saw a few tops down

Do I have to reply to this? Yup, Just got back from my second cruise of the day, and top still down!!!

Jibber
11-12-2012, 05:09 PM
Drove mine yesterday - it was an awesome day for a drive.
Probably drive it again later today.

After last year, I'm kinda reluctant to put it away. But it'll probably start it's hibernation this coming weekend.

Hasn't it been hibernating all summer Jim??? Didn't you log like 50 miles this summer on the Cobra??

390gtconv
11-13-2012, 07:36 AM
Good for Ed, that he "has to put his car away"? It's ways put away, especially the one in RI.

SVT10th
11-13-2012, 04:21 PM
Hasn't it been hibernating all summer Jim??? Didn't you log like 50 miles this summer on the Cobra??

You're confusing me with Ian. ;)

I didn't put a lot of miles on it, but I've driven it more 2nd half of the season than 1st half. (employment has it's benefits.) Probably did about 500 miles this year. Odometer is about 18,800 if I remember.

Jibber
11-13-2012, 05:13 PM
You're confusing me with Ian. ;)

I didn't put a lot of miles on it, but I've driven it more 2nd half of the season than 1st half. (employment has it's benefits.) Probably did about 500 miles this year. Odometer is about 18,800 if I remember.

Yeah. You did less than Ian this year. He's posted up at 850 miles for the season. I did about 1750.

These aren't million dollar cars kid. If your looking to make a payday on it, I don't think it will happen. Maybe your grandkids will get some money but certainly not in our lifetime will we see any real appreciation. Best I hope for is to stay in the 20k market.

whtmare
11-13-2012, 05:50 PM
i did about 3,500 and loved every minute of it...

390gtconv
11-13-2012, 05:58 PM
Yeah. You did less than Ian this year. He's posted up at 850 miles for the season. I did about 1750.

These aren't million dollar cars kid. If your looking to make a payday on it, I don't think it will happen. Best I hope for is to stay in the 20k market.

Well as many that know me and my '67, it's rare and worth some serious money (80K plus) and mine is drive as often as I can, even to work a couple times. There cars and are meant to be driven. If something happens to them, they all most likey can be fixed. Also we all have insurance.

LILBLKSNAKE
11-13-2012, 06:27 PM
I took the 2013 to work today because it was nice out this morning, until I hit 93S and it downpoured on me

390gtconv
11-13-2012, 08:28 PM
And when it rained out, did it melt? Or did you have the guys in the shop detail it?

TorchredSVT
11-14-2012, 09:18 AM

These aren't million dollar cars kid. If your looking to make a payday on it, I don't think it will happen. Maybe your grandkids will get some money but certainly not in our lifetime will we see any real appreciation. Best I hope for is to stay in the 20k market.

not looking to make a pay day....I am looking to have one of the nicest examples around.

I think they fact these cars still command 20k plus at 10 + years old is a testament to thier current and future values.

75% of the 03/04's out there are pretty beat up, hacked up, modded to death or are used to drag race. Nice ones are becoming harder to find.

I get just as much enjoyment out of my car as you do yours.......but mine just has less mileage on it :)

LILBLKSNAKE
11-14-2012, 11:47 AM
75% of the 03/04's out there are pretty beat up, hacked up, modded to death or are used to drag race. Nice ones are becoming harder to find.

AMEN brother, ain't that the truth!!

SVT10th
11-14-2012, 12:10 PM
not looking to make a pay day....I am looking to have one of the nicest examples around.

I think they fact these cars still command 20k plus at 10 + years old is a testament to thier current and future values.

I get just as much enjoyment out of my car as you do yours.......but mine just has less mileage on it :)

What he said.
Different strokes for different folks.

Jibber
11-14-2012, 01:39 PM

20,000 made. Using your estimate. Leaves about 5k good examples. Look around our club. Your car, Jim C, Joe G, Craig L, Randys, and even mine are fine examples. I was getting "caught" up in the non-driving of a car to "save" it etc. I then realized that the car needs to be driven as it is alot of fun to drive. My goal every year is 2k miles. I think that is a healthy number but you may not. A car like mine with 29k miles on it is the same as yours with 15k miles on it. It's not like your car will be worth $10k more because you have 15k less miles on it. The difference is miniscule.
My intent is not to persuade you of anything. (we are all pretty much set in our ways and pig headed) I will say that Someday when you get older, you will want to kick yourself in the ass because you hardly ever drove your car. Then it will be too late. (of course thats assuming you still have the car. Or when you drive it for the first time in 2015, 16, 17.... that someone doesn't run into you and total it. At least you will still have the pictures of it and can say your fondest memory is that you didn't drive it.) :)

AMEN brother, ain't that the truth!!

This coming from a guy who hates terminators. Haha.

TorchredSVT
11-15-2012, 09:41 AM
you are forgetting that out of the 20k made, there are probably only about 15k left, and I bet that number is even high.
between total, cars being converted to race cars, thefts etc. Of those cars, there is a LARGE percentage that weren't taken care of.
I know of atleast 5 people on SVTperformance.com who are personally responsible for purchasing and parting out hundreds of cars.

2k a year is a great goal, and you are right very healthy. My rule of thumb is unless I can put the top down, I don't want to be driving it. That car will stay in my family forever, and I knew so the second I bought it. I had a long term goal getting into the game and I look forward to the day my son can drive me around in the car. I'll never kick myself for not driving it, becuase it will be around forever.

The fox, well thats another story, I kick myself every day for letting that car go :( ...but I still realize it was the right decision.

as for resale value, that's all in the eye of the potential buyer and a case by case basis. My car is relativly stock, a convertible and a tenth. Out of the gate our cars appeal to total different set of buyers. I would argue with you about mileage though, lower mileage cars will always be worth more.

390gtconv
11-15-2012, 12:26 PM
I would argue with you about mileage though, lower mileage cars will always be worth more.

BUT, was it fun watching it sit and not get used much?

chachee52
11-15-2012, 08:50 PM
My rule of thumb is unless I can put the top down, I don't want to be driving it. .

Still driving with the top down. Everyday that it's not raining is a day to put the top down!!

LILBLKSNAKE
11-15-2012, 08:56 PM
I've been alternating the 2013 and the 94 GT for two weeks now. I'm not surrendering yet. Might paint the 94 YELLOW just for one season