PDA

View Full Version : Tech Question

gt500fastbackcoupe
08-20-2012, 11:15 AM
4.6L 5-Speed, been parked a while and didn't start. Used a portable jumper and jumped it, battery terminals are fuzzy. Started right up and ran for an hour.

Fast forward another 2 months. Same thing, Used portable jumper and couldn't really get a connection so no luck jumping it. Put charger on it for 24 hours and couldn't get it to turn over. Had power and radio lights, etc. When attempting to turn over all I get is a click/clunk sound. I'm assuming at that point the battery is toast and won't hold a charge, even though it jumped a couple months before that.

Fast forward 2 weeks: Same thing only now I've not charged the battery. I have lights, radio, etc but same click/clunk noise. If the battery is weak I'd expect it to have drained enough in 2 weeks to not have anything.

So I wanted another opinion before I spend the money on a new battery.
Question: Is battery the culprit or do I have a solenoid issue? (Do newer models even have a solenoid?)

J
08-20-2012, 09:06 PM
How old is the battery?

390gtconv
08-22-2012, 08:07 PM
ALL batteries need to be "stimulated" some kinda charge if gonna sit for to long or they will degrade. That said I always do the cheapest fixes first. Clean all connections between battery and ground as well as battery and starter and including soliniod if one. THEN recharge battery and see what happens. Note most all auto parts stores will do a load test on a battery that has been fully charged. I've had a battery that I fully recharged and when tested they said needed to be charged, battery no good because was on a charger all nite.

nhmcpres
08-28-2012, 09:27 AM
you said the terminals are fussy , that tells me there is some corrosion there , i would check the connections first , you also said the lights work , and easy test to use to check for a connection problem if the lights work is to crank the car with the lights on if they go out right away chances are you have a poor connection at the battery , if they only dim slightly and it doesnt crank , its a connection problem to the starter or a bad solenoid ,if its a bad battery they would dim slowly or not be be dim already, also for more load on the battery turn the blower motor on high for a large current drain , and finally the solenoid is on the sarter now , good luck ,

rick l

Dennis O'Shea
08-28-2012, 10:43 AM
Listening to him explain the solution to the problem its like listening to a surgeon tell his patient whats next It reminds me of when Charlton Heston was on the mountain and the God spoke to him from the Burning Bush It like listening to God Am I the only one who get those feelings
you said the terminals are fussy , that tells me there is some corrosion there , i would check the connections first , you also said the lights work , and easy test to use to check for a connection problem if the lights work is to crank the car with the lights on if they go out right away chances are you have a poor connection at the battery , if they only dim slightly and it doesnt crank , its a connection problem to the starter or a bad solenoid ,if its a bad battery they would dim slowly or not be be dim already, also for more load on the battery turn the blower motor on high for a large current drain , and finally the solenoid is on the sarter now , good luck ,

rick l

gt500fastbackcoupe
08-29-2012, 02:21 PM
Thanks Rick, should've just called you I guess lol

gt500fastbackcoupe
08-29-2012, 02:24 PM
Update:
Cleaned the terminals with Coke (never drinking that stuff again after what I witnessed) and scrubbed them up. Same thing, just a click/thunk when I try and turn it over.
So...got a new battery. Side note: VIP Auto give you $10 for each junk battery you have. I turned in 8 and got a new battery for 19.99
So I'm very excited now, install the new battery and same thing happens click/thunk.
I'm showing the volts wtih the multimeter so now I'm on to the starter.
Could the starter be Frozen? Or should I jsut replace the solenoid or just buy the whole thing together since they're together?

390gtconv
08-29-2012, 04:04 PM
Always replace cheaper parts first, solenoid. Try measuring voltage on solenoid where cable goes to starter when key is turned, should be 12v. If not solenoid is stuck/bad. If 12v then prob at starter, either connection at starter or starter bad. Bad to solenoid, if "no volts" across, try tapping solenoid. Sometimes when going bad, giving solenoid a good love tap and will work.

As far as battery turn ins, Autozone only pays $5. each and only a couple per every 2 weeks so VIP better deal.

Oh and the best thing to rinse away battery acid is mixture of water and Baking soda as it will neutralize acid. Coat after with Dialectric grease or at least use battery terminal washers.

nhmcpres
08-29-2012, 10:22 PM
you want to see something that works great on corroded terminals , just pour on super hot water with nothing else , no matter how bad it is it will melt away , learned this from an old guy along time ago it works great , and as far as the solenoid goes it is on the starter on the 4.6 and it is hard enough to get to that i would just replace the whole thing .

gt500fastbackcoupe
09-18-2012, 12:52 PM
Ok, finally got around to swapping out the starter and oila! Fired right up. Thanks Guys!
As is the case with all the fords I've owned, once one thing is fixed something else goes wrong :)
When she finally fired up one of the header tubes disintegrated, lol. Guess they were a little rusty.
Summit to the rescue!