PDA

View Full Version : New Legislation Could Make Way For Replica Mustang Sales/Kit Cars

390gtconv
12-08-2015, 12:47 AM
For those that work & build older classic mustangs or kits still...
In news today.
http://www.msn.com/en-us/autos/news/new-legislation-could-make-way-for-replica-mustang-sales/ar-AAg8h96?li=BBnb4R5&ocid=iehp

TorchredSVT
12-08-2015, 08:59 AM
interesting, that's good to see

I wonder how it will affect companies like Dynacorn who supply new body-in-white cars

KARMAN
12-08-2015, 04:11 PM
interesting, that's good to see

I wonder how it will affect companies like Dynacorn who supply new body-in-white cars
I assume that Dynacorn will be making a lot of money off this, even if they don't build the final product themselves.
I certainly would consider buying a road ready late 60s fastback if the price was similar to a new GT.

ToplessPony94
12-08-2015, 06:18 PM
I assume that Dynacorn will be making a lot of money off this, even if they don't build the final product themselves.
I certainly would consider buying a road ready late 60s fastback if the price was similar to a new GT.

I hear you, Jim. Personally I would have a big temptation if they ever do a 1970 BOSS. I know the 69 is more popular, but I love the 70.

390gtconv
12-08-2015, 08:31 PM
Additionally, the engine used in the replica vehicle must meet the emissions requirements of the year the vehicle is assembled.

The statement above is my only question.
DATE vehicle is assembled or year of engine itself you have to go by???

TorchredSVT
12-09-2015, 09:05 AM
My understanding is it all goes by the VIN. if the car is VIN'd a 1965, it falls under those emissions laws.

390gtconv
12-09-2015, 08:46 PM
Info I got from a friend of mine:

One hitch is that the replicas do have to adhere to current emissions standards. Right now, the only cost-effective way to do that is to use an emissions-certified drivetrain package from a major manufacturer, and the only one available today is the General Motors E-Rod V8. So don’t be surprised to see a lot more GM-powered “Fords” on the road until other engines become available.

TorchredSVT
12-10-2015, 08:58 AM
So a brand new coyote motor is not compliant with current emission standards? I find that hard to believe

KARMAN
12-10-2015, 05:51 PM
Info I got from a friend of mine:

One hitch is that the replicas do have to adhere to current emissions standards. Right now, the only cost-effective way to do that is to use an emissions-certified drivetrain package from a major manufacturer, and the only one available today is the General Motors E-Rod V8. So don’t be surprised to see a lot more GM-powered “Fords” on the road until other engines become available.

So a brand new coyote motor is not compliant with current emission standards? I find that hard to believe

We shall see what happens with this new law.
To quote the article:
"NHTSA and the EPA will have 12 months after enactment to issue any necessary regulations to implement the law."

ToplessPony94
12-10-2015, 06:52 PM

Sounds like the whole drive train needs to be certified, not just the motor.