PDA

View Full Version : If i ever get my own country

SVT10th
08-16-2015, 09:27 PM
If i ever get my own country, my air force will be comprised of only F4 Phantoms and Avril Vulcans...
https://youtu.be/V_6bZ2Kzaj8
https://youtu.be/YmXvQqEcJZ8

whtmare
08-17-2015, 04:29 PM
I'd make sure I hire Donald trump as president

whtmare
08-18-2015, 02:44 PM
Wow slow week on the forum no response yet

ToplessPony94
08-18-2015, 03:43 PM
Not generally in the habit of being provoked by political trolling...

http://www.vocabulary.com/dictionary/buffoon

SVT10th
08-18-2015, 04:51 PM
If it's MY country then I WOULD be president. Duh.
And I'd have the planes above as my airforce because they are the two coolest planes ever to fly. Well, I might have to get an SR-71 also.....

ToplessPony94
08-18-2015, 05:36 PM
You bet! SR-71 FTW!!! And don't forget the P-51!

Jibber
08-19-2015, 08:15 AM
P-51? That'll be like target practice for the MIGs.

SVT10th
08-19-2015, 08:41 AM

I am not a pilot, but I've heard that it's difficult for a modern superiority fighter to take on a WW2 era plane. The jets can't fly slow enough to dogfight them with guns, and the old planes don't throw enough heat or radar cross-section for missiles to be real effective. If comes out as kind of a stalemate -- the old plane can't hit the jet and is so maneuverable comparatively, that jet can't do much to it barring a lucky hit or missile lock.

ToplessPony94
08-19-2015, 10:26 AM

But it makes for great photo ops! :cool:

I am not a pilot, but I've heard that it's difficult for a modern superiority fighter to take on a WW2 era plane. The jets can't fly slow enough to dogfight them with guns, and the old planes don't throw enough heat or radar cross-section for missiles to be real effective. If comes out as kind of a stalemate -- the old plane can't hit the jet and is so maneuverable comparatively, that jet can't do much to it barring a lucky hit or missile lock.

You are correct, sir! :)

Jibber
08-19-2015, 10:27 AM
Stalemate? I certainly see what your saying and it sorta makes sense......just find it hard to believe. I would imagine that these new planes can slow down enough to take care of business on aNY WWII Era plane.

SVT10th
08-19-2015, 02:30 PM
Stalemate? I certainly see what your saying and it sorta makes sense......just find it hard to believe. I would imagine that these new planes can slow down enough to take care of business on aNY WWII Era plane.

I don't know for sure*. But there's a performance difference at slow speed -- even if their minimum speeds before stall are similar -- a swept-wing jet (any modern jet fighter) at "stall" tends to go into a flat spin, which is a very bad thing and takes time, talent and significant altitude to recover. A prop-powered plane at stall generally just noses over, and given a couple hundred feet of altitude will regain enough airspeed to fly.
A flat spinning jet would be meat on the table for a P51, so there's no advantage for the jet pilot to slow down so much to bring that into a possibility. At the same time, the top speed of a P-51 is about 450mph, which is well within the performance envelope of the F/A-18, so there's no advantage for the P-51 pilot to engage the F/A-18 at high speeds.

Of course this completely ignores either pilot's experience and knowledge of the other aircraft's performance. (I doubt there are more than a handful of pilots who have ever flown both.) It also leaves out modern weapons (missiles) capability. If, as I've heard, a modern missile cannot accurately lock onto the P-51, this becomes a gunfight. If instead, the F/A-18 can lock onto the P-51 at 20 miles, well... Don't bring a gun to a missile fight.
All things considered, I'd RATHER be in the jet.

*As I said, I'm not a pilot. I have taken the controls of a prop plane a couple of times with friends who are pilots. I grew up knowing a couple other pilots who were friends of my Dad. I was a huge plane nerd when I was a kid. I've also put in many hours on MS Flight Simulator which gives you a certain knowledge of aircraft performance. (don't laugh -- you can actually use a several hours on that to count toward your instrumentation time when getting a pilots license.)
I could probably land a small plane without killing anyone, although the landing gear probably wouldn't be pretty afterwards.
http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/commons/a/a9/Tree-point_Landing.jpg

Dennis O'Shea
08-19-2015, 03:23 PM
I am not a pilot, but I've heard that it's difficult for a modern superiority fighter to take on a WW2 era plane. The jets can't fly slow enough to dogfight them with guns, and the old planes don't throw enough heat or radar cross-section for missiles to be real effective. If comes out as kind of a stalemate -- the old plane can't hit the jet and is so maneuverable comparatively, that jet can't do much to it barring a lucky hit or missile lock.I think that the USMC Hairier Jet can slow down to a stand still. BANG BANG

SVT10th
08-19-2015, 04:56 PM
I think that the USMC Hairier Jet can slow down to a stand still. BANG BANG

LOL! Yes, you may have found the Kryptonite to the P-51 vs Jet Fighter conundrum.