PDA

View Full Version : Exhaust advice

SVT10th
07-24-2015, 02:21 PM
So, the GT has aftermarket headers (not sure what kind), a MAC ( I think) H-pipe with hollowed cats (no idea how that happened :cool:) and Flowmaster mufflers.
I'm not happy with the exhaust sound. At idle it sounds nice -- wub, wub, wub, wub.
But at any more than low throttle it just turns into kind of a loud low-pitched moan, more like a typical 70s-80s V8 luxury car. It doesn't have that distinctive 5.0 aggressive exhaust note. It's reasonably loud because of the hollowed cats, but not "nice".
I think just replacing the Flowmasters with a different model will improve the sound, but I'm not sure. I don't know what model it has, though and don't want to buy the same ones.

This is a pic of the type of Flowmaster that's on it. Any one able to identify the model? Or have advice for better exhaust note?
I don't want to do a whole new exhaust, or even just a cat back. Would rather just get the appropriate mufflers...

88vert
04-19-2016, 10:23 AM
Its not the flow masters its the hollowed out cats that sound crappy. you need just an h-pipe or put the h-pipe with the 4 cats back on. I still have my old 4 catted h-pipe

ToplessPony94
04-19-2016, 11:02 AM
Jim, you might want to try replacing the cats with Catco free flow cats. I have those on my car as part of a full Catco H-pipe, but you can buy just the cats. Most cars I know that use their cats sound pretty nice!

http://www.catcoglobal.com/

http://www.summitracing.com/search/brand/catco-catalytic-converters/product-line/catco-catalytic-converters-universal-fit-catalytic-converters?SortBy=Default&SortOrder=Ascending&autoview=SKU&ar=1

SVT10th
04-20-2016, 12:11 PM
Holy revived old thread, Batman.

Car actually sounds better with the hollowed cats than it did with intact ones.

But my car is currently undergoing some fairly significant mods that will likely change the exhaust tone. So we'll see.
With luck, it might even make an appearance at Dyno Day.

TorchredSVT
04-21-2016, 09:18 AM
who puts cat's on a car that's emissions exempt?:D

ToplessPony94
04-21-2016, 09:47 AM
who puts cat's on a car that's emissions exempt?:D

I do. Still had the EGR until a few months ago. (Can't get parts that actually work any more.) My car is also still way emissions cleaner than when it rolled off the line. Some of us just like being on the green side of the street! ;)

SVT10th
04-21-2016, 04:36 PM
Plus although it doesn't get sniffed or electronically tested because it's pre-ODBII, inspectors are still SUPPOSED to make sure it has cats. So you still need catted pipes.

Of course I say that with the full intention of replacing my hollow cats with real ones. Of course. It would be socially irresponsible for me not to. I always obey the rules.

Xerxeese
04-23-2016, 08:48 AM
just some food for thought , BBK makes mufflers called "varitune" which allow you to adjust the tone. Similar to the old supertrap mufflers, but no need to add or remove discs. There are videos on youtube. I WILL be going with these on my car soon as
finding the right tone on a V6 is damn near impossible LOL