PDA

View Full Version : New Proposed bill that may hurt classic car values??

390gtconv
07-02-2015, 07:11 PM
http://gearheads.org/new-house-bill-may-pass-that-kills-the-classic-muscle-car-industry/

Anyone else see or hear of this?

KARMAN
07-03-2015, 09:02 AM
There have been Shelby & other clones built from lesser models for a long time.
I don't think this will affect the market prices any more than speculators do.

ToplessPony94
07-03-2015, 11:10 AM
There have been Shelby & other clones built from lesser models for a long time.
I don't think this will affect the market prices any more than speculators do.

I agree with Jim. There have been fauxbras for a long time, some well done, some not so much, but they never command the kind of demand or money as an original.

TorchredSVT
07-06-2015, 09:02 AM
completely disagree with that article

there is no way a replica car will ever water down the market for true original classics. All it will do is drive the cost UP because of the fact in 10 + years the replica cars will have such little value becuase of how much supply is out there

NascarBen
07-12-2015, 12:24 AM
I don't think this will end up hurting the value of originals either, but I think it would be great for this to go through. The joy of having people get access to, potentially, less expensive cars is we might actually see some more of those vehicles on the road again. I don't think many people buying originals for hundreds of thousands or even millions of dollars are ever going to let them see the open road or a rain storm again. That just makes me sad. Getting to see little kids eyes light up when an old car goes by and seeing them tug their parents arm and point. I think that is what it's about. Something to be fascinated and curious about and maybe keep their eyes out of their electronic devices for a few more minutes each day.

ToplessPony94
07-12-2015, 07:39 PM
I don't think this will end up hurting the value of originals either, but I think it would be great for this to go through. The joy of having people get access to, potentially, less expensive cars is we might actually see some more of those vehicles on the road again. I don't think many people buying originals for hundreds of thousands or even millions of dollars are ever going to let them see the open road or a rain storm again. That just makes me sad. Getting to see little kids eyes light up when an old car goes by and seeing them tug their parents arm and point. I think that is what it's about. Something to be fascinated and curious about and maybe keep their eyes out of their electronic devices for a few more minutes each day.

This is a great post! I love it! Two thumbs up! :cool:

SVT10th
07-12-2015, 09:23 PM
I agree. NascarBen's post is on point. And I'd love to drive an affordable replica.

Speaking to the issue raised in the article specifically about "hurting original car values" -- I don't see how it will. If anything it will make them go higher. Just like when you see a Shelby Cobra at a show -- you expect it to be a Factory Five or similar -- but when you see a REAL one, it blows your socks off just knowing it's real. An original will go for over a million at auction. A really tremendous Factory Five will fetch what, maybe 75K? And only if it's amazingly good.
Plus, the author argues against himself by stating that Factory Five is the biggest replica maker in the world -- but if their sales volume isn't hurting the the originals value, who's could?